Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Chip Kelly to nfl? (1 Viewer)

Husker_in_OK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Kelly makes roughly 6 million at UCLA while an average salary as an NFL OC is just a little north of 1 million.

I'm not buying that Kelly is actively looking to reduce his annual salary by 5 million because of the NIL/Transfer portal headaches a college head coach has ..

Last edited:

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
There’s no other place where you’re entire roster is basically on a one year deal.
This and it's worse than that because it's week to week as some guys (even though they can't officially enter the portal until a certain date) are quitting in the middle of the season and announcing their intention to leave and preserving things like redshirts and such. So it's like living at the whims of young people from day to day.

Then add the tampering that we know is happening and being a coach is just an absolute nightmare.

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
Kelly makes roughly 6 million at UCLA while an average salary as an NFL OC is just a little north of 1 million.

I'm not buying that Kelly is actively looking to reduce his annual salary by 5 million because of the NIL/Transfer portal headaches a college head coach has ..
I agree with this. And I’m not sure I buy what I’m about to say, but this could be a timeline resetting decision as well as a move that allows him to get another good HCing job sooner rather than later. His contract runs through 2027 and he will be fired if they have a bad first year in the B1G. If so, he’ll be owed 18.6M, probably negotiate down to about 10 to walk away and give him the freedom to take the best job. Now he’s negotiating his next contract after having been fired twice. He can get an OC job I’m sure. But at this point he’s probably not going to be a HC again. Which means his future potential earnings will be $1-2m max per year.

If he leaves now, he’s leaving $10m on the table. And his future potential earnings could make up for the difference if he does well as an OC in the NFL. He’d get another shot as a HC with only one firing.

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Kelly just doesn’t like to recruit anymore, regardless of NIL etc.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds