Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

CFB roster limits incoming

I think where this is all stemming from is they did scholarship limitations decades ago to try and "level the playing field" between the Alabama's and other FBS/BCS teams. They didn't want Bama able to sign 140 scholarship players. Now, NIL is putting them right back where they were and they are trying to "re-level" the playing field.

The problem is, they have no chance. Georgia State is never going to be able to compete with Alabama or other schools in NIL anyway. Further, and I can't remember where I read this, there's already talks about how many SEC schools/athletic directors are not wanting the NCAA to dictate what they do so that schools in the MAC can try and "keep up". If they want to spend more on NIL, if they want bigger rosters, they shouldn't be held back to do so just because schools like Western Michigan wouldn't be able to afford it.
Right. That's where I really struggle to see the "why". Like I guess I see the theory behind it but it's not really practical and going to make any difference IMO.

This is why it is time to make a clean break between P4 and the rest. If your league wants to compete suck it up buttercup.

In the end, a decision like this only hurts the players who are looking for a chance to live out a dream playing college football who weren't offered scholarships.

If their thought process is to limit big schools with unlimited NIL funds to limit over-rostering of talented football players on a team, then I don't think that is happening / or will happen on a large scale. If players think they are good enough and buried deep on a roster depth chart, they will end up transferring somewhere else for a chance to play.

Last edited:
Even with the "phase in" period its still won't be easy for us to get down to that number.

Let's say the roster number for 2025 is 130. Lets round up and say we are at 150 now and we have 20 Seniors which would get us down to 130 but then we are still going to have make room for another 20-25 players for the incoming recruiting class.

Then the number in 2026 is let's say 120 so then we are looking at another 30-35 players including Seniors moving on to meet the new roster limit and still make room for the new recruiting class. And so on and so forth until we reach the 100 or 110 that they decide on.

And I realize there will be more players moving on on their own besides the Seniors or some of the Seniors could stay depending on eligibility.

Just so everyone knows our current numbers we are at 143 now without the recruits we added this summer and we have 18 Seniors listed on the roster.

Unfortunately adding all the additional players the last couple of cycles is probably going to come back and bite us in the ass a bit. But one upside being is that we will have plenty to pick and choose from and will be able to keep the best of what is currently on the roster.

Short story long, lots of hard conversations for players and coaches incoming if this all passes.

Even with the "phase in" period its still won't be easy for us to get down to that number.

Let's say the roster number for 2025 is 130. Lets round up and say we are at 150 now and we have 20 Seniors which would get us down to 130 but then we are still going to have make room for another 20-25 players for the incoming recruiting class.

Then the number in 2026 is let's say 120 so then we are looking at another 30-35 players including Seniors moving on to meet the new roster limit and still make room for the new recruiting class. And so on and so forth until we reach the 100 or 110 that they decide on.

And I realize there will be more players moving on on their own besides the Seniors or some of the Seniors could stay depending on eligibility.

Just so everyone knows our current numbers we are at 143 now without the recruits we added this summer and we have 18 Seniors listed on the roster.

Unfortunately adding all these additional players the last couple of cycles is probably going to come back and bite us in the ass. One upside being though is that we have plenty to pick and choose from and will be able to keep the best of what is currently on the roster.

Lots of hard conversations for players and coaches incoming if this all passes.
Making this way harder than it has to be.
There’s probably 30+ walkons Rhule knows will never see the field. You just tell them hey sorry we have to do this wish we didn’t

NCAA has mandated a roster limit on baseball rosters at 35 for years, raised to 40 the last few years. NCAA is just doing this for all sports. They need to be careful what they decide as the SEC and the B1G want the limit very big and if the NCAA isn't careful the SEC and B1G will just leave if they aren't happy with the result.

Making this way harder than it has to be.
There’s probably 30+ walkons Rhule knows will never see the field. You just tell them hey sorry we have to do this wish we didn’t
I tend to overthink things so you're probably right.
Yeah GIF

Unfortunately adding all the additional players the last couple of cycles is probably going to come back and bite us in the ass a bit. But one upside being is that we will have plenty to pick and choose from and will be able to keep the best of what is currently on the roster.

Short story long, lots of hard conversations for players and coaches incoming if this all passes.
I don't think it will be a big issue. These kids are all going to know that this is coming and that they're fighting for a roster spot. And it wasn't Rhule's decision to create roster limits.

I don't think it will be a big issue. These kids are all going to know that this is coming and that they're fighting for a roster spot. And it wasn't Rhule's decision to create roster limits.
Should make for some good competition this fall.

Freshman and/or JV squads that somehow don't count against the roster numbers maybe?
Wasn't there something like that in the 80s and 90s where redshirted freshman played a few games? Or am I way off?

I know GPAC and NAIA have JV games. Each school usually plays 4 to 5 games each fall. Only freshman and sophomores can play if they don't get any varsity snaps.

Last edited:
Wasn't there something like that in the 80s and 90s where redshirted freshman played a few games? Or am I way off?

I know GPAC and NAIA have JV games. Each school usually plays 4 to 5 games each fall. Only freshman and sophomores can play if they don't get any varsity snaps.
You are correct. Was a Yutanian neighbor on the freshman team when I was a kid.

Freshman/JV team was on the schedule posters through 1990:

20240709_231545.jpg

Screenshot_20240709-231446_eBay.jpg

Nebraska ran a jv football team from 1956 to 1990, 1979 was when Solich became Freshman coach. It only contained Freshmen from Solich on, not sure about before that.

Nebraska ran a jv football team from 1956 to 1990, 1979 was when Solich became Freshman coach. It only contained Freshmen from Solich on, not sure about before that.
I recall the FR/JV team as a kid in the 80's.

Back then it was very rare that a true FR would play on the varsity team. Players like Gill, Fryar, Steve Taylor and other eventual legends all spent their time on the Freshmen Team.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back