Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Bourbon tonight? What’s in the glass? (4 Viewers)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Funny bourbon story...

We were at the Scotch and Sirloin a few weeks ago for a friends birthday. Scotch and Sirloin is about as fancy as you get for Wichita. Anyways, we drank wine for dinner but afterwards I wanted a bourbon. I saw Weller Full Proof (see avatar) on the drink menu. If I see that, I'm gonna order it. Love Weller Full Proof.

So I tell the waitress and she asked if I want a double. Of course I do. She says ok let me make sure we still have it. About 5 minutes later she comes back with no drink. I say, "Guess you're out?" and she says, "No we have it and I'm not looking to insult you, but I've never sold a drink this expensive before. Are you sure you want Weller Full Proof? It's $80 an ounce"

Needless to say, I had an Antique Weller that night instead.

Thank God she came and asked. She could've just poured it and not said a word and I wouldn't have blamed her a bit. I made sure to tip her a little better.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I haven’t had a drink in a few weeks but I can’t stay away from these threads.

High West- agree with the comment that their standard label is so-so. Love their Bourye, Midwinters Night Dram, and Yipee Ky Yay. A lot of those are hard to find at reasonable prices these days. Mine are from 2017 or before.

Kentucky Owl-is the St Paddy’s the same as the standard just with a green label? I’ve always felt their price tag drifted too high and hasn’t been the same quality since they first came back. The confiscated I have is meh for a $100+ bottle.

Wellers-it’s a shame what’s happened to that bottle. What use to be a really good $25 bottle is now a vastly over-rated $150-200 bottle. It was better than things that cost $50, but isn’t better than Bookers for example. Wish the collective would just stop over paying for it. Same with pretty much the entire Buffalo Trace catalog. None of it is bad but none of it is worth what people are paying. I’d prefer Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Jim Beam Double Oak, Old Grand Dad 101… a lot of bottles under $50ish to the long list of Buffalo Trace bottles that sell for way more.

Elijah Craig - they are heaven hill and another underrated distillery. The EC line always tends to be pretty good. Of course the stated aged bottles have all skyrocketed in price and no longer worth it, but novel fuckin idea… they noticed that their Barrel Proof bottles were in high demand so they increased their supply. Buffalo Trace, on the other hand, increases their variations on “limited release” and the market falls for it every time.

Statesmen-not bad. Never bought a bottle but friend had one. Old Forester is another trusty label. If what they are selling is over $30 it’ll be good.
I agree about the price. I got the St. Paddy’s for $90. It’s a collab with Irish Whiskey binders basically just in the selection of barrels.. it’s solid.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Funny bourbon story...

We were at the Scotch and Sirloin a few weeks ago for a friends birthday. Scotch and Sirloin is about as fancy as you get for Wichita. Anyways, we drank wine for dinner but afterwards I wanted a bourbon. I saw Weller Full Proof (see avatar) on the drink menu. If I see that, I'm gonna order it. Love Weller Full Proof.

So I tell the waitress and she asked if I want a double. Of course I do. She says ok let me make sure we still have it. About 5 minutes later she comes back with no drink. I say, "Guess you're out?" and she says, "No we have it and I'm not looking to insult you, but I've never sold a drink this expensive before. Are you sure you want Weller Full Proof? It's $80 an ounce"

Needless to say, I had an Antique Weller that night instead.

Thank God she came and asked. She could've just poured it and not said a word and I wouldn't have blamed her a bit. I made sure to tip her a little better.
That's not much less than the whole bottle at regular retail.

Blakejc

Corporate Potato
Elite Member
Penelope. The architect series (blue). Had their toasted last week. Better than Basil Hayden toasted (which is very good).

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
Raikes Rib-eye on the grill
Cooler full of local Charlotte beers
3 TVs going with Kings/Warriors, Draft, Nebraska basketball on TV
Made Guac and other snack foods

Let’s have a night

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Have a chance to buy on some Blantons Gold tomorrow night at a fundraiser. How is it?
Do it! The cigar bar I play bocce at gets it from time to time. It’s the only place I ever have a chance to get it around here, and they literally get 1 bottle at a time. I tried to proposition them to pay a premium to get one of their bottles, but they weren’t interested (obviously). It’s good shit

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
We’re in Napa this week. Not a wine guy. Went to a nice Mexican restaurant and had a bunch of mezcal cocktails.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds