Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Baylor Podcast - Dave Aranda (1 Viewer)

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

Aranda was my #1 choice for a while and I just assumed he'd never consider NU. I had never heard him talk but heard he's not a huge press guy. Pretty interesting. He's pretty soft spoken. Our Mongo press would be pretty disappointed with Aranda methinks. He wouldn't give them any opportunity to create their Kardashian/E Entertainment Channel world around Nebraska football (which they so love).

That would be wild to have a coach that's that boring at the helm in Lincoln. Dare I say it would be refreshing and GOOD for us (to not have a HC who says dumb shit all the time)

That would be brutal to listen to the next 3 years

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
I think you’ll find a lot of what he says has substance to it, though. Not a lot of coach speak. And he actually will talk Xs and Os. My guess, our media would actually start educating themselves on what the hell it is he’s talking about and they’ll write more fulfilling articles because of it.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
Man, idk. I'd have Aranda a tier below these guys:

Gundy
Deboer
Rhule
Liepold

Aranda has been successful with taking over a successful team built by Rhule but hasn't had to build, so I think his floor is pretty low here. I'd still rather have him than guys like Klieman, Doeren, and Chadwell though.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Man, idk. I'd have Aranda a tier below these guys:

Gundy
Deboer
Rhule
Liepold

Aranda has been successful with taking over a successful team built by Rhule but hasn't had to build, so I think his floor is pretty low here. I'd still rather have him than guys like Klieman, Doeren, and Chadwell though.

You'd rather have Leipold than Aranda?

No way for me.

Urban is my clear cut #1.

After that it gets murkier. Deboer is a coach that is moving up my wish list. Gundy? I think he'd be good, but might have a limited ceiling. But let's be realistic - we are at or below zero (call it the frost zone per se) - so a guy who can turn the program around and win us 8 to 10 games a year would be a godsend. Even if his ceiling is not CFB playoffs. Crawl before we walk, walk before we sprint.

Rhule built Baylor back up. He's done poorly in the NFL and could be shitcanned there at any time, but the NFL is a different animal to CFB. But as a college coach, I think that he is better suited to that game. I'd be good with 3 of those 4 you mentioned, with my list being:

Deboer
Rhule
Gundy

Leipold is down the list for me personally. Campbell is not real high on my list either. Good coaches, but not what I think we should be shooting for.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
That would be brutal to listen to the next 3 years
He sounds like an NPR radio host LOL!

I literally had to turn the volume up on my computer to hear him. I'd love to hear what his actual motivational speech sounds like. He must turn it on at crunch time. That is something. I'm dead serious, I don't think I've ever heard an elite FB coach sound that soft spoken.

***IN BEFORE someone says "Belichik." Belichik talks like that as an F-U to the media. That's not the same thing. Aranda literally sounds like he's whispering. It's amazing.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think you’ll find a lot of what he says has substance to it, though. Not a lot of coach speak. And he actually will talk Xs and Os. My guess, our media would actually start educating themselves on what the hell it is he’s talking about and they’ll write more fulfilling articles because of it.
I agree with this.

It'd be great. We could get the focus back on THE ACTUAL GAMES.... as opposed to our stupid dramas that we've had these last 10 years.

It would be awesome to have a head coach that boring. A good head coach that is.

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
I agree with this.

It'd be great. We could get the focus back on THE ACTUAL GAMES.... as opposed to our stupid dramas that we've had these last 10 years.

It would be awesome to have a head coach that boring. A good head coach that is.
Substance (as someone mentioned before) is exactly what we need after 5 years of Frost bluster, bullshit and empty promises.

Remember he said he would rebuild the OL?
The Big 10 would have to adjust to us.
Luke McCaffrey was the future around here.

Almost everything Scott talked about was made up nonsense or recycled coach speak he heard somewhere else.

"Everyone knows where this thing is going"

Yeah, bud. Right in the dumpster.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
You'd rather have Leipold than Aranda?

No way for me.

Urban is my clear cut #1.

After that it gets murkier. Deboer is a coach that is moving up my wish list. Gundy? I think he'd be good, but might have a limited ceiling. But let's be realistic - we are at or below zero (call it the frost zone per se) - so a guy who can turn the program around and win us 8 to 10 games a year would be a godsend. Even if his ceiling is not CFB playoffs. Crawl before we walk, walk before we sprint.

Rhule built Baylor back up. He's done poorly in the NFL and could be shitcanned there at any time, but the NFL is a different animal to CFB. But as a college coach, I think that he is better suited to that game. I'd be good with 3 of those 4 you mentioned, with my list being:

Deboer
Rhule
Gundy

Leipold is down the list for me personally. Campbell is not real high on my list either. Good coaches, but not what I think we should be shooting for.
Urban is my #1 but I didn't include him because I don't feel that he's a realistic possibility.

I need to see Liepold sustain the early success this year for him to stay in the top realistic tier for me. The signs were there in year 1 at KU when he beat a much more talented Texas team. If KU falls off a cliff over the course of the season then I'd move Liepold down and probably move aranda and/or BoB up.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
they’ll write more fulfilling articles because of it
Suck It Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG

Aranda was my #1 choice for a while and I just assumed he'd never consider NU. I had never heard him talk but heard he's not a huge press guy. Pretty interesting. He's pretty soft spoken. Our Mongo press would be pretty disappointed with Aranda methinks. He wouldn't give them any opportunity to create their Kardashian/E Entertainment Channel world around Nebraska football (which they so love).

That would be wild to have a coach that's that boring at the helm in Lincoln. Dare I say it would be refreshing and GOOD for us (to not have a HC who says dumb shit all the time)

If he wins, 'boring and softspoken" suddenly becomes "Osbornesque." That's how I see his personality anyway. And honestly, maybe that's the exact kind of personality we need from our coach to help lead the players through the celebrity fishbowl of NU football. Aranda isn't gonna get paranoid, he isn't gonna get distracted, he isn't gonna give soundbytes off the top of his head that turn into dumbass news stories.

As long as he has charisma behind the scenes that connects with recruits and players, (which Aranda apparently does) I'm down with a guy who has a quiet demeanor.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
"I think the ability to not be waiting for remarkable stuff to happen, but to do the unremarkable with remarkable consistency, is really what the key is. So the boring, mundane, specific, detail-oriented things, you really have to master. So it takes awhile to see those. If you're moving too fast and looking for big things, you miss all the little things."

I literally just clicked to a random spot in the middle of the video and this monotone quote could've come straight from Osborne boring the media to death at any point in his career hahah. Doesn't bother me at all.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds