Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Anyone NOT illiterate on here? (1 Viewer)

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Made a goal to read 26 books this year (not a big deal, yeah I can read). I haven’t read a “bad one yet” - all I can ever stomach is Athlete/Coach biographies.

My list so far:

- Andre Agassi “Open” - maybe the most raw, engaging, and fascinating book I’ve read. Incredible and recommend it to anyone/everyone

- Jay Williams “Life is Not an Accident” was such a great story about finding your way after tragedy. Very inspirational, even if I always rooted for those Maryland teams against him

- Kirk Herbstreit “Out of the Pocket” - not the best writing but such an interesting life with so many cool experiences and access to some awesome people. Every college football fan needs to take this one in!

- just starting “the second life of tiger woods” tonight - looking forward to learning more about the depths of debauchery here.

Any recommendations from you fine, literate, fancy fucks?

thE kErnEl

Cornerback
Elite Member
Are you looking for book recommendations from something other than the sports genre?

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
Non troll post: If you guys want a very easy read that’s somewhat topical and soon to be made into a movie, check out: “One Upon a Time in Russia”

I fact checked/proof read it back in the day prior to it coming out. (You’d be surprised how few Russian history experts there were post Cold War and pre-Hillary Clinton’s Russiagate conspiracy)

theDankness

Linebacker
Elite Member
Made a goal to read 26 books this year (not a big deal, yeah I can read). I haven’t read a “bad one yet” - all I can ever stomach is Athlete/Coach biographies.

My list so far:

- Andre Agassi “Open” - maybe the most raw, engaging, and fascinating book I’ve read. Incredible and recommend it to anyone/everyone

- Jay Williams “Life is Not an Accident” was such a great story about finding your way after tragedy. Very inspirational, even if I always rooted for those Maryland teams against him

- Kirk Herbstreit “Out of the Pocket” - not the best writing but such an interesting life with so many cool experiences and access to some awesome people. Every college football fan needs to take this one in!

- just starting “the second life of tiger woods” tonight - looking forward to learning more about the depths of debauchery here.

Sports - Barry Switzer "Bootlegger's Boy" ... "Shoe Dog" with Phil Knights is pretty interesting.

Historical/Biography - "Titan" by Ron Chernow on Rockefeller. Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose on Lewis & Clark expedition

Business - Bad Blood on the Theranos scandal, Billion Dollar Whale on the M1 fund, The Cult of We on WeWork shenanigans.
(Bad Blood is the best overall, Billion Dollar Whale is just a crazy story, would not do the weWork book unless you are really interested in that story.)

Audiobook - Project Hail Mary

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I usually read coaching books or historical books.

Some of my favorite reads in the coaching world

#1. Concept Passing: Teaching the Modern Passing Game by Dan Gonzalez. Probably the most influential coaching book I've read for me personally.
- Also have his two other books, but IMO, the first is by far the best.

#2. Pass Coverage Glossary by Cameron Soran. You want to read about the world of possible pass coverages. Get your fix, you'll probably shit yourself at the shear amount of variations out there.

#3. Anchor Points: Building a Defense From the Ground Up. by Cody Alexander

#4. Split Field Coverages by Jerry Gordan

#5. Under Front Defense by Jerry Gordan

Life Advice/Messages/Society/Human Behavior type books that interest me.

Currently reading - The Practice of Groundedness by Brad Stulberg

Tribe by Sebastian Junger - I thought this book was phenomenal, short, easy read. A lot of human behavior explanations based on our reactions to trauma.

Historical - I love me some WWII history, Russian history, obscure American History.

The Years of Extermination by Saul Friedlander

The Nazi Seizure of Power: The Experience of a Single Germn Town by William Sheridan Allen

The Gestapo: A History of Horror by Jacques Delarue

Did a scholarly project in school over elements of Prohibition, read shit ton of books on the Prohibition Era. Got into some Hatfield/McCoy reading and American feuds when the history channel docuseries came out.

I get some quality reading time on the bus on away games. Calms the nerves and avoids bus driver conversations.

Dell Husker

Quarterback
tPB OG
I just read “Atomic Habits” Great on understand the power of completing the little things and adjusting processes over creating goals.

I’m currently reading “To Sell is Human”

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
#2. Pass Coverage Glossary by Cameron Soran. You want to read about the world of possible pass coverages. Get your fix, you'll probably shit yourself at the shear amount of variations out there.
Yeah, I thought it was cover 1,2,3,4,6,9,0...... but fuck there are so many spin offs of each.

Shocked you didn't have the assembly line on your list

doublewing

Running Back
I read about 2 books a month. Love to read before going to bed. The last one I've finished:

"This Is How They Tell Me the World Ends: The Cyberweapons Arms Race" - great book about the black market for vulnerabilities and arms race between countries to manage them.

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member

My list so far:

I’ve only read Playboys. Btw, you sound smart

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG

My list so far:

I'd suggest "It's Your Ship" or "Can't Hurt Me"

Not sports themed, but excellent reads.

SoCal_Corn

Wide Receiver
I usually read coaching books or historical books.

Some of my favorite reads in the coaching world

#1. Concept Passing: Teaching the Modern Passing Game by Dan Gonzalez. Probably the most influential coaching book I've read for me personally.
- Also have his two other books, but IMO, the first is by far the best.

#3. Anchor Points: Building a Defense From the Ground Up. by Cody Alexander

#4. Split Field Coverages by Jerry Gordan

#5. Under Front Defense by Jerry Gordan

Life Advice/Messages/Society/Human Behavior type books that interest me.

Currently reading - The Practice of Groundedness by Brad Stulberg

Tribe by Sebastian Junger - I thought this book was phenomenal, short, easy read. A lot of human behavior explanations based on our reactions to trauma.

Historical - I love me some WWII history, Russian history, obscure American History.

The Years of Extermination by Saul Friedlander

The Nazi Seizure of Power: The Experience of a Single Germn Town by William Sheridan Allen

The Gestapo: A History of Horror by Jacques Delarue

Did a scholarly project in school over elements of Prohibition, read shit ton of books on the Prohibition Era. Got into some Hatfield/McCoy reading and American feuds when the history channel docuseries came out.

I get some quality reading time on the bus on away games. Calms the nerves and avoids bus driver conversations.

Can you ask Frost and Staff to join your Book Club?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds