Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Anyone home school or know of someone who home schools? (Year 1 update) (1 Viewer)

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
Looking at positives and negative vs public school. We're having major second thoughts on sending our soon to be kindergartener to LPS. Have a soon entering 8th grade in LPS. Wife has researched the hell out of it and prepared herself.

Thoughts?

Year 1 update.
We, by we, I mean maily my wife decided to and I followed along with homeschool our 6-year old. At first, I was extremely relunctant thinking it would be a massive headache and failure. In the end, it was a great decision for our family. We did the Classical Conversations co-op.

Positives.
- Learn at his own pace. In the intitial months this was a little bit of a struggle because of distractions around the house. Now he's built into his daily routine and has blown through the Kindergarten reading and math, and nearly 2 months into 1st grade level reading.
- Allowed him explore his interest more and do more hands on everyday life learning. With the weather least week, he's really into learning about how thunderstorms develop and about hail, wind, and tornados associated with them. He's wanted to learn about WWII, Civil War, and various other history subjects. That really helped with engagement.
- Homeschool isn't just about the student, it's about family. All holiday events, birthdays, gatherings, play dates are geared to the whole family not just just one member.
- This is probably my most favorite part - I get a lot of time with him in the afternoon. Pretty much everyday for the last 2 weeks we've played catch with football or baseball for about 10-15 minutes. Doesn't have to be much, but we get to something several times per week that couldn't do if he was in school.
- I thought it would impact him socially, but we're finding out the opposite. Anytime we're out of the house he's organically trying to socialize and play with other kids. Through sports we're still able to build relationships with kids his age and public school he'd be at.
- No learned negative behaviors. My nephew and one of my good friend's son go to the same elementary school. We're not around either at the same time, but both boys behave the same, talk back the same, same bad behaviors, same name-calling. My sister in law mentioned this to us as well that she noticed his behaviors changing to match his classmates.
- Our 4-year learns along. He might not get it all down, but he's picking up math and history extremely well. He can tell you how to calculate the area of a square, triange, circle, and a few other shapes. He knows the basic major event of history starting BC. Count by 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s and 10s.

Negatives.
- We don't plan on homeschooling him forever, but we don't know how to assimilate him into school. With the learn at his own pace and freedom to learn things that interest him, lots of outside play time and discovery, it's going to be hard.
- It can be pretty stressful. I don't do much for school work, wife does that all, but it can be stressful on the bad days.
- No set routine for the day.
- Lots of dishes for me. Since they eat breakfast and lunch at home and my portion is the dishes, I have a shit-ton of dished each day to do.

Last edited:

1HuskerDad

Defensive Coordinator
I have a good friend and wife who home schooled their kids in Omaha. There are local groups of home school families that you can hook up with to ask questions, etc. Their boys played basketball against local schools and regionally. They were able to socialize a lot with other home school kids. Once their younger kids got to high school, they sent them to St. Barnabas/Chesterton. They turned out well adjusted IMO

1HuskerDad

Defensive Coordinator
Looking at positives and negative vs public school. We're having major second thoughts on sending our soon to be kindergartener to LPS. Have a soon entering 8th grade in LPS. Wife has researched the hell out of it and prepared herself.

Thoughts?
Worries about my granddaughter going to LPS too. She’ll be in kindergarten too. Unfortunately, her parents aren’t in position to be able to do that.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member

Thoughts?
Yes on both. Highly recommend- you can be extremely flexible on style, method, amount of time, and almost everything else. You don't have to be a "teacher" to do it.

Plenty of homeschool sports teams, extracurricular activities, groups, etc. around these days.

Most of a traditional style school day is not really active learning, so you can easily complete everything they need in a fraction of the time.

I believe the new scholarship bill that just passed may also provide some financial relief as well, but not positive on that.

Happy to answer any specific questions - I have a pretty extensive background through this both personally and with family.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
A group of my friends were home schooled up until high school. They played select baseball growing up but a lot of their socializing was with their giant family. Quite frankly it took some of them a long time to not be really socially awkward

iruletheskool

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
If you can home school, I recommend it.

Kids learn better in that flexible environment, arent stuck in school 8 hrs a day plus homework, get to see family more.

I was a student in Title 1 schools held down academically by peers and quality of teachers. Homeschooling would have been a great benefit for me.

Just don't be lazy about it and actually know the kids curriculum, etc. While you dont necessarily have to teach it should be more than just sending the kid to a room with a 20 min recording.

Only cons can be fixed by outside involvement in church, sports, etc.

All of that plus then you don't have to worry about the poor influence of other kids, teachers, libs, pubs, whatever your concerns are.

Jmo

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
Libs have ruined schooling

What are your concerns with LPS?

See post quoted above yours. But really it's a major part of it.

We found out there would be at least 27 to 30 students to a single teacher. Looking at 28 or 29 as of last week. One teacher is a first year teacher. Others are a little more experienced.

They have one 15 minute recess and a 15 minute lunch period. 7+ hours in classroom.

Our oldest had a pretty shitty elementary experience on a couple parts. His 3rd and 5th grade teachers were first year teachers. 2nd grade she came out of a 10+ year retirement. He was labeled as diff in reading and math after 1st quarter in 5th grade year (2019 to 2020) in which he "fell through the cracks and lack of teacher's communication" (see first year teacher). We found and found and 2 weeks before covid he was finally moved to diff classes but was too late.

LPS has some pretty liberal teachers and ideology. This last year in 7th grade he had a trans teacher who had all sorts of gay pride flags and posters in her room. He got in trouble for misgendering a girl he had a project with. They had 7 safe spaces in which were no question asked emotional safe spaces. To of coddling and favoring "trans" and LGBT at his middle school.

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
I have a good friend and wife who home schooled their kids in Omaha. There are local groups of home school families that you can hook up with to ask questions, etc. Their boys played basketball against local schools and regionally. They were able to socialize a lot with other home school kids. Once their younger kids got to high school, they sent them to St. Barnabas/Chesterton. They turned out well adjusted IMO

Wife found 4 groups like this in or near Lincoln.

My biggest drawback is the socialization and lack of authority figure outside of parents.

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
If you can home school, I recommend it.

Kids learn better in that flexible environment, arent stuck in school 8 hrs a day plus homework, get to see family more.

I was a student in Title 1 schools held down academically by peers and quality of teachers. Homeschooling would have been a great benefit for me.

Just don't be lazy about it and actually know the kids curriculum, etc. While you dont necessarily have to teach it should be more than just sending the kid to a room with a 20 min recording.

Only cons can be fixed by outside involvement in church, sports, etc.

All of that plus then you don't have to worry about the poor influence of other kids, teachers, libs, pubs, whatever your concerns are.

Jmo

Username checks out.

You pretty much drilled my thoughts.

Thanks for input. The being held down by quality teachers was something my oldest experienced. He's now getting bombarded with the lib side of things.

1HuskerDad

Defensive Coordinator
Wife found 4 groups like this in or near Lincoln.

My biggest drawback is the socialization and lack of authority figure outside of parents.
Don’t quote me on this but I think for certain subjects they took them at the school
I mentioned when they got older and then did other subjects at home. That freed up time for the mom who taught them allowed them time to socialize and learn from a different teacher.

I have seen how some teachers have influenced other family members in LPS in negative ways before so I share your concerns. Lots of good faculty members have retired or quit due to unruly kids and no support from the admins.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds