Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Anyone home school or know of someone who home schools? (Year 1 update) (1 Viewer)

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I just don't want them to be in a position where they are ostracized for having a dissenting opinion
That's part of life though. Have to let them figure out if their dissenting opinion is really their opinion too. You don't want your kids to just absorb all of your opinions as the correct ones either.

I mean I do but most people shouldn't.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
death.png
Just use rain as an instrument.

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
I don't think it really is. It's a way of life that someone is choosing to follow.
I don't believe it's a choice. Most in the LGBTQ+ community will tell you the same. They are born as they are. Pride is a celebration of all they've overcome to be accepted as they were born.

See post #52 in this thread to further explain my view.

One can argue to the contrary, but without any experience as an actual gay person, who are we to tell them their reality?

iruletheskool

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't believe it's a choice. Most in the LGBTQ+ community will tell you the same. They are born as they are. Pride is a celebration of all they've overcome to be accepted as they were born.

One can argue to the contrary, but without any experience as an actual gay person, who are we to tell them their reality?

I'd prefer no sexuality is "celebrated" around children. Jmo

1HuskerDad

Defensive Coordinator
Agreed trying everything we can to send our kids through private school for the remainder and do major research for college because they have poisoned those too.
College profs have brainwashed a whole generation of would-be teachers who have taken over HS and elementary schools and made their classroom their own individual fiefdom.

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
I'd prefer no sexuality is "celebrated" around children. Jmo
I would as well. That said, I don't believe pride is specifically sexualized when presented to the general public. Especially in a classroom. It's just as easy to say, "We're celebrating that we live in a country that allows us the freedom to love who we want without persecution."

Pretty easy for a kiddo to understand without sexualizing anything.

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
@Jim14510

I respectfully ask: Do you honestly believe that your sexuality is a choice that you're following? That you consciously choose every day only to be attracted to women?

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG

I think a good percentage of gay people are born that way. I think we're in the stage of the normalization period that it's promoted as cool to be LGBTQ and a smaller percentage are doing it for that reason. That really doesn't have anything to do with it.

I think with religion or gender/sex or anything along those lines the teacher shouldn't be "pushing it" ever. I don't think it's a big deal to have a cross hanging from the wall or a Pride flag. The problem is kids are curious and ask questions. Rather than directing conversations towards something inappropriate for public school just leave it out.

RedSeaRising

Commissioner
Elite Member
tPB OG
That's part of life though. Have to let them figure out if their dissenting opinion is really their opinion too. You don't want your kids to just absorb all of your opinions as the correct ones either.

I mean I do but most people shouldn't.
I don't want them to have my opinions and beliefs. Won't ever push that onto them. Analogously I don't want their belief systems on nuanced & complex issues to be shaped by someone else's personal views at a young & impressionable age in their lives.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't want them to have my opinions and beliefs. Won't ever push that onto them. Analogously I don't want their belief systems on nuanced & complex issues to be shaped by someone else's personal views at a young & impressionable age in their lives.
You do that whether you intend to or not. If you avoid the topics the only thing you're doing is not giving your children your point of view to consider. If there is no right or wrong answer the best thing is for them to experience the question from multiple sources and multiple angles.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds