Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Any idea on Turd's thoughts with NU Basketball (1 Viewer)

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
Does anyone know what metrics Fred and Turd had for basketball?

I am curious what Turd is thinking here. Does he want to go thru another coaching search?

The injuries are legitimate IMO. NU only played at full strength 10 times this year and was 7-3 with wins over Crayton & Cockeye...lost to Purdue in OT.

Also, the NU Admin really screwed Fred over by not clearing Keyontae Johnson...his #'s are impressive for KSU - 18 PTS, 7.7 REB, 2.2 AST & 53% FG

I do not want to defend Fred here....his record speaks for itself. But will Turd fire a basketball coach after 4 years when he gave the football coach 5 years?

Huskers633

Cornerback
Elite Member
I like Fred, despite the results I still think he's a good coach and i think he'd get it figured out eventually. Matty A fucked this program over but that's on Fred for standing by and allowing it to happen.

Due to the shape the roster is in, and what's returning next year I'd move on from Fred. He's going to have find a couple legit scorers in the portal and will he be able get guys of that caliber here?

I do like the freshman we have coming in next year. Eli Rice, he looks legit. And there's a poster on Tater Island saying Nebraska has already reached out to Parker Freidrichsen and Brady Dunlap since they got out of their LOIs to Notre Dame. Who knows if that poster knows something or if he's just throwing shit out there. If Fred somehow got Brady and Parker to sign I would completely change my tune. I believe you can't keep coaches based on incoming recruits. But here I'd make an exception. Those 3 players would be an elite recruiting class IMO.

However, I don't think Brady or Parker will be N. I do think Turd gives Fred another year. And next year has to be at least the NIT or he's gone.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think the most important question for Turd is: do you feel like next year will be any different? Like who do we have on the roster that we expected will produce better results than what we did now +/- a few transfers.

It seems like they lose 3 of their 4 best players so it might depend on how the guys who are now forced to play step up

redzoner

Cornerback
If I am Turd, I am spending all my time and focus this year on making sure that football is back on the right track.

I'd give Hoiberg a second year of playing this different style and see what they can add through the transfer portal. If he can get to the NIT or better next year then we extend if not next year will need to be a change.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
If I am Turd, I am spending all my time and focus this year on making sure that football is back on the right track.

I'd give Hoiberg a second year of playing this different style and see what they can add through the transfer portal. If he can get to the NIT or better next year then we extend if not next year will need to be a change.
I think this is where I am it as well. Even though I feel like basketball can get turned around quickly and what Fred has done these last 4 years is just awful.

In the end, what is one more year? Its NU basketball after all...anyone they hire to replace Fred if change is made is going to be another unknown. There are no sure fires coming to NU Basketball to coach.

One more year makes sense considering they were very competitive when fully healthy...they will have only been healthy for about 30% of the season.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think the most important question for Turd is: do you feel like next year will be any different? Like who do we have on the roster that we expected will produce better results than what we did now +/- a few transfers.

It seems like they lose 3 of their 4 best players so it might depend on how the guys who are now forced to play step up
We know the answer to that though (it won't be different). That's not the most important question.

The real most important question is: How bothered are you about basketball's current state of affairs? Mad enough to spend $10m to make FH go away?

You have a good guess at what next year is looking like. Question is, do you (ie the boosters) have an extra $10m lying around? I don't think they do. Put it to the fans: would you rather 1890 put $10m into Hoiberg's buyout or would you rather they spend that on NIL $$$ for Dylan Raiola?? Because that vote's going 100-0 one way.

I don't want Hoiberg gone bad enough that I want to risk pulling ANY resources away from Rhule/FB team. Plus, Hoiberg's team was actually decent this year when they had everyone healthy. That's enough progress for me.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I think Fred has a clear vision for how he can build this program and I don’t think he’s going anywhere.

It’s obvious Fred and Turd spoke at length about this in the off-season because if the product looked the same as last year it would be easy to fire Fred.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm a basketball junkie having grown up in a family with a hoops background. People that know far more than me have told me they consider him a good coach. I can tell you that former NBA coach George Karl and KU Coach Bill Self also both think that Fred Hoiberg is a very good coach. I realize that the W/L record has been unacceptable but I still have faith he can turn us around given the proper support and our NIL issues with the basketball players being in the past.

Huskers633

Cornerback
Elite Member
In the end, what is one more year? Its NU basketball after all..
I'm not picking on you here or trying to come at you as I love a good Nebrasketball discussion. But I hate these type of statements about the basketball team. I get it we're a football blueblood that has a basketball program that has had a handful of good seasons. But there is no reason Nebraska cannot be successful and get there quick. The B1G has been the best conference over the past 4-5 seasons. The Big 12 IMO is the best this year but the B1G is still one of the best and right now Northwestern is 2nd and Rutgers is 3rd in the conference standings. No reason it can't be Nebraska.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
It also hasn't helped HCFH has had some bad luck with recruits whether it was NIL issues causing problems on the team, the Omaha World Herald writing an article that cost us All American candidate Center Adama Sanogo or the administration not signing off on Forward Keyontae Johnson even after being cleared by our medical team so instead is the best player on a Top 5 Kansas St team. You add Johnson & Sanogo to this team and I gotta believe we are easily Top 15.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
It also hasn't helped HCFH has had some bad luck with recruits whether it was NIL issues causing problems on the team, the Omaha World Herald writing an article that cost us All American candidate Center Adama Sanogo or the administration not signing off on Forward Keyontae Johnson even after being cleared by our medical team so instead is the best player on a Top 5 Kansas St team. You add Johnson & Sanogo to this team and I gotta believe we are easily Top 15.
I think the sample size is there Fred won’t get it done. He has retooled every year and sucked. This is his best year and we still suck. It will be more of the same next year partly because the conference is a monster. I still think Fred will get one more year putting together another poor team and Turd will fire him.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm not picking on you here or trying to come at you as I love a good Nebrasketball discussion. But I hate these type of statements about the basketball team. I get it we're a football blueblood that has a basketball program that has had a handful of good seasons. But there is no reason Nebraska cannot be successful and get there quick. The B1G has been the best conference over the past 4-5 seasons. The Big 12 IMO is the best this year but the B1G is still one of the best and right now Northwestern is 2nd and Rutgers is 3rd in the conference standings. No reason it can't be Nebraska.

Oh I agree completely. I am a huge NU Basketball fan and I have actually traveled more to see the basketball team than I have football. I just have always got the feeling that the NU Athletic Dept doesn't really care about basketball.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG

Lets not forget about Robert Sallie...NU Admin wouldn't clear him and he went on to play for some really good Memphis Teams...I know this real recent, but still makes you wonder why they are not clearing these guys.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I think we should keep Fred around for the long haul. He’s a good coach, we have NIL now, new stadium, just let him build it over time.

Huskers633

Cornerback
Elite Member
its just the truth
Then why be a fan? IDK maybe your not and you just came into this thread to be negative. If that's the case I get it, I've done the same before. But if this is your mentality how can you even be a fan if you're not wanting more from a program?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds