Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Any cops on here?

I'm hoping I answered those part in the parentheses. That training part was just my frustration with this all.

Just to try and understand your perspective a bit here, what do you think in this situation the guy was reaching for in his vehicle?
Not a gun, because he was unarmed.

Fair enough. I actually wanted to know your thoughts on it without the benefit of hindsight, so I'll try rephrasing. What do you believe a reasonable person would think he is reaching for in that situation?

My thoughts are....

The guy was reaching for something
The guy has been known for carrying a pistol illegally

How fast this happens all happens for cops. I remember watching live PD and they covered this... https://news3lv.com/news/local/19-y...hooting-fired-shotgun-four-times-at-detective @Goskers07 you should check this out.

Put yourself in that cops shoes who took shot gun shots to the vest and then was looking down the barrel of it.

The cop does not know what they are reaching for at all. They do know that they have a warrant for illegally carrying a pistol. So I am not going to find out what he is reaching for if I am in that cops shoes.

Now the fact she thought she had her taser and made that mistake is a different discussion.

My thoughts are....

How fast this happens all happens for cops. I remember watching live PD and they covered this... https://news3lv.com/news/local/19-y...hooting-fired-shotgun-four-times-at-detective @Goskers07 you should check this out.

Put yourself in that cops shoes who took shot gun shots to the vest and then was looking down the barrel of it.

The cop does not know what they are reaching for at all. They do know that they have a warrant for illegally carrying a pistol. So I am not going to find out what he is reaching for if I am in that cops shoes.

Now the fact she thought she had her taser and made that mistake is a different discussion.
If you are known to be a legal gun owner and reach for something, can I shoot you if I'm a cop?

If you are known to be a legal gun owner and reach for something, can I shoot you if I'm a cop?
No because a legal owner would tell the cop if he was carrying and also listen to the cop. You know because he is following the law.

I have actually been in the car with a guy who had a C&C, was carrying and nobody was shot because we were following the law.

My thoughts are....

Yup I've watched that video. There may not have been a luckier man in the world that day than the detective. His partner had incredible precision in an awful situation and saved his life.

No because a legal owner would tell the cop if he was carrying and also listen to the cop. You know because he is following the law.

I have actually been in the car with a guy who had a C&C, was carrying and nobody was shot because we were following the law.
Suppose the cop knows and you don't disclose it.

Faux is right. NE law requires to disclose the fact that you're licensed and whether or not you have a weapon present. You don't force the LEO to assume you're carrying simply because you're licensed to do so.

Also, in response to the above query about the gentleman in MN reaching for something in his glove box, etc. - inform and ask. "Hey - my registration and proof of insurance are in the glove box. Do I have your permission to open the glove box and retrieve those items for you?"

Seriously, this stuff isn't hard. Communicate, don't be difficult and you get to drive away.

Faux is right. NE law requires to disclose the fact that you're licensed and whether or not you have a weapon present. You don't force the LEO to assume you're carrying simply because you're licensed to do so.

Also, in response to the above query about the gentleman in MN reaching for something in his glove box, etc. - inform and ask. "Hey - my registration and proof of insurance are in the glove box. Do I have your permission to open the glove box and retrieve those items for you?"

Seriously, this stuff isn't hard. Communicate, don't be difficult and you get to drive away.
The Office Reaction GIF

Then they ask you if you are currently carrying because they know you are C&C when they approach the vehicle. It’s tied to you and your plate.

So walking up they know. If it isn’t your vehicle and you don’t...you lose it.

And I can assure you as a C&C myself...those who went out of the way to go through the back ground checks, get themselves finger printed, and put in federal databases...will disclose it.

I mean Philando Castille did all of the above and still got shot.

I'm mostly just curious about people's belief about what cops knew, might have known, should have known, and how people who got shot behaved, didn't behave, could have behaved. It's an incredibly difficult job and errors on all sides are really costly.

I'm mostly just curious about people's belief about what cops knew, might have known, should have known, and how people who got shot behaved, didn't behave, could have behaved. It's an incredibly difficult job and errors on all sides are really costly.
This I agree. I also hate the motion that the public for the most part jumps to conclusions without hearing all the facts. Reason why I was asking questions to start this to get the perspective and what I will be curious about if this goes to court and if I decide to follow it.

To me one of the biggest things to this is did the cop know they had a warrant for illegally carrying a pistol? I think this is likely and justifies the level of force.

Now you can also, and pretty easily, make the case that there is a training problem is she thought she had her taser. I don't think she should have had her taser given the situation.

This I agree. I also hate the motion that the public for the most part jumps to conclusions without hearing all the facts. Reason why I was asking questions to start this to get the perspective and what I will be curious about if this goes to court and if I decide to follow it.

To me one of the biggest things to this is did the cop know they had a warrant for illegally carrying a pistol? I think this is likely and justifies the level of force.

Now you can also, and pretty easily, make the case that there is a training problem is she thought she had her taser. I don't think she should have had her taser given the situation.
There's been different shootings that I'd agree with you but I think this one boils down to the fact that she thought she was shooting him with a tater but instead shot him with a gun. That part is simple. Now whether or not she is punished criminally I don't know the law well enough to opine on that. Kids family should 100% win mucho $$ in a civil trial.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back