Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Any cops on here?

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I had some questions about this shooting in Minnesota and how it should be handled.
  • From my understanding....
    • They pulled over the car for improper registration.
    • They then found out he had a warrant.
      • Do they tell you what the warrant is for?
        • If yes, how in detail do they go? Do they just say misdemeanor or do they say it is for he missed court for illegally carrying a pistol?
          • If yes, does that justify having your pistol drawn when he struggles and goes to reach to the other side of the car?
    • They go to detain the suspect. He struggles and goes into the car. When he turns and reaches to the other side of the car does that justify using lethal force knowing he has priors with pistols? Or do they have to show intent to use a lethal weapon?

To me I am always full...
liar liar stop breaking the law asshole GIF by Jerology

It seems like to me if I am a cop in that situation I probably have my pistol drawn assuming they knew he had the warrant and what it was for. I think having your taser is almost a mistake because if he turns with a gun that is not a good situation. Maybe my thinking is wrong.

• Take all this for what it's worth, as Nebraska and Minnesota can and likely do have different laws and procedures, but I'll give it a shot:
    • Do they tell you what the warrant is for? (They can, but depending on the dispatcher you may have to work to get it from em.)
      • If yes, how in detail do they go? Do they just say misdemeanor or do they say it is for he missed court for illegally carrying a pistol? (Again, just depends on how good the dispatcher is and how much information they get from the agency that issued the warrant. But generally, you can get the full reason.)
        • If yes, does that justify having your pistol drawn when he struggles and goes to reach to the other side of the car? (Case by case basis. Without seeing a weapon, maybe not necessarily have him drawn down on, but maybe have you're weapon unholstered.)
  • They go to detain the suspect. He struggles and goes into the car. When he turns and reaches to the other side of the car does that justify using lethal force knowing he has priors with pistols? Or do they have to show intent to use a lethal weapon? (This is the part that is the grayest and that everyone gets pissed about. But in my opinion, if you can reasonably justify and articulate your suspicion that he was reaching for a weapon, then yes, it is justified.)
To me, the biggest problem in all this is actually the lack of training. She very clearly intended to use her taser. But for whatever reason, she drew duty weapon and was unable to recognize the difference. To me, that shows a lack of training in stressful environments. She was not comfortable, despite her years of service, in a high stress situation to the point where she was unable to think straight enough to recognize the difference between a taser and a handgun.

A question I have that I haven't looked up yet, does Minnesota have a law on where a taser is to be carried? In Nebraska, I believe it is state law, but at minimum it is a pretty common agency policy that a taser be a cross draw weapon on the opposite side of the duty weapon.

• Take all this for what it's worth, as Nebraska and Minnesota can and likely do have different laws and procedures, but I'll give it a shot:
    • Do they tell you what the warrant is for? (They can, but depending on the dispatcher you may have to work to get it from em.)
      • If yes, how in detail do they go? Do they just say misdemeanor or do they say it is for he missed court for illegally carrying a pistol? (Again, just depends on how good the dispatcher is and how much information they get from the agency that issued the warrant. But generally, you can get the full reason.)
        • If yes, does that justify having your pistol drawn when he struggles and goes to reach to the other side of the car? (Case by case basis. Without seeing a weapon, maybe not necessarily have him drawn down on, but maybe have you're weapon unholstered.)
  • They go to detain the suspect. He struggles and goes into the car. When he turns and reaches to the other side of the car does that justify using lethal force knowing he has priors with pistols? Or do they have to show intent to use a lethal weapon? (This is the part that is the grayest and that everyone gets pissed about. But in my opinion, if you can reasonably justify and articulate your suspicion that he was reaching for a weapon, then yes, it is justified.)
To me, the biggest problem in all this is actually the lack of training. She very clearly intended to use her taser. But for whatever reason, she drew duty weapon and was unable to recognize the difference. To me, that shows a lack of training in stressful environments. She was not comfortable, despite her years of service, in a high stress situation to the point where she was unable to think straight enough to recognize the difference between a taser and a handgun.

A question I have that I haven't looked up yet, does Minnesota have a law on where a taser is to be carried? In Nebraska, I believe it is state law, but at minimum it is a pretty common agency policy that a taser be a cross draw weapon on the opposite side of the duty weapon.
Yaaa like the training aspect is one thing, but I was curious if lethal force was justified in the eyes of a cop here.

I guess I'm old fashioned or whatever, but I think the vast, vast majority of people think that folks shouldn't resist arrest and cops should refrain from killing folks unless absolutely necessary. I'm also assuming the vast majority of people expect a cop to know the difference between their taser and their service weapon. Idk. Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess I'm old fashioned or whatever, but I think the vast, vast majority of people think that folks shouldn't resist arrest and cops should refrain from killing folks unless absolutely necessary. I'm also assuming the vast majority of people expect a cop to know the difference between their taser and their service weapon. Idk. Maybe I'm wrong.
I fit in the vast majority category here but not sure its really vast majority.

Are you suggesting that we, in general, don't have to respect authority if we don't agree with what the a police officer says?
No, that’s not what I’m saying at all. I’m saying that resisting arrest or failing to comply with a police officer’s instructions should not be punishable by death. Clearly there are instances where deadly force is warranted, but to hand waive away any police shooting because the victim was “resisting arrest” is pretty morally bankrupt.

Last edited:

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back