Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Agreement reached to pay players (2 Viewers)

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
I think it's going to extradite the conference implosion into either 2 super conferences or one big one that basically replaces the NCAA, and basically get the top 64 programs or so, get into pods and play, probably similar to the old 8 team conferences.
What was once old is new again...back to the BIG 8...lite

Huskers4420

Linebacker
I think it's going to extradite the conference implosion into either 2 super conferences or one big one that basically replaces the NCAA, and basically get the top 64 programs or so, get into pods and play, probably similar to the old 8 team conferences.

What about basketball?

If this were to happen, no one's going to give af about March Madness anymore if it's just the 64 teams in their own league/pods. The tourney will essentially be dead.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Every time I make predictions on conference realignment and/or what affect more litigation as it pertains to paying players will have on college sports I am just wrong every time. So I’m out of that business moving forward.

What I’ll say is that it won’t kill it. There’s way too much money to be made for anyone to want this to be dead.

My concern is that the 20m you’re planning on sharing better be lawyered to the highest degree because you’ll need it to be if you don’t wanna pay a member of the rifle team the same as a football player.

Hopefully we can start to look at things as each conference and the TV viewers and revenue each sport gains. From there I think you could come to a solid and equitable revenue sharing model. A big ten football player should make more than one in the Big 12. A basketball player in the Big Ten should make more than one in the PAC, etc.

I’m not sure you ever get away from NIL. But I can certainly see it becoming a true NIL model and not just pay for play.

betsch

Safety
Nebraska fans will think this will help us, but other schools will end up paying more for players and it won't help. Kind of like the NIL now, we'll beat some lower/average teams, but against OSU/Texas/Alabama, we won't have a chance IMO.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Nebraska fans will think this will help us, but other schools will end up paying more for players and it won't help. Kind of like the NIL now, we'll beat some lower/average teams, but against OSU/Texas/Alabama, we won't have a chance IMO.
Too many unknowns at this point. Feels like the fixed pie is more problematic for schools who carry a bunch of niche sports that no one gives a shit about and the challenge of zeroing out that revenue share in a totally cool and legal way.

Like maybe Ohio State can get away with $18 million to football, $2 million to basketball, and 0 to everyone else, but everyone else is gonna want to eat too so to speak and that could get real fucky in a hurry.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds