Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Agreement reached to pay players (1 Viewer)

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
The NCAA and its five power conferences have agreed to allow schools to directly pay players for the first time in the 100-plus-year history of college sports.

The NCAA and its leagues are planning to alert plaintiffs' attorneys Thursday that they are prepared to move forward with a multibillion-dollar agreement to settle three pending federal antitrust cases, sources told ESPN. The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes, according to sources. Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
Buckle up boys

IMG-4174.jpg

BugeaterInWa

Linebacker
Elite Member
The NCAA and its five power conferences have agreed to allow schools to directly pay players for the first time in the 100-plus-year history of college sports.

The NCAA and its leagues are planning to alert plaintiffs' attorneys Thursday that they are prepared to move forward with a multibillion-dollar agreement to settle three pending federal antitrust cases, sources told ESPN. The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes, according to sources. Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes.

Stick the fork in CFB, it's just done.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
What does it mean for Nebraska?

I ask that sincerely. I don’t know WTF is going on anymore.
I don't think anyone truly knows. Now we'll have a salary cap, but also a totally legal way to circumvent it with NIL

With NU's AD operating in the black, we should be positioned well to pay the players and continue funding NIL through donations. That would give us a huge advantage over a lot of our peer schools, so I can't wait to find out how we fuck this up.

On a conference level, the difference between SEC/B1G revenue and everyone else probably means the divide between them and the ACC/Big 12 will only grow. Everyone at the G5 level and lower will be absolutely fucked

Husker_in_OK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
It’s too late to un-fuck what they just fucked up.

I would’ve much rather they treat it like the NFL with contracts, and just do a full on salary cap instead of the insanity that has happened up to this point.

Toe

Wide Receiver
How quickly will a cba, players union and salary cap be agreed on?
Should kill NIL

I don't think they're gonna be able to kill NIL entirely. It'll probably be a mix of direct payment from the schools and NIL. Question is what the balance between the two will look like. If there's any sort of cap on direct payments, NIL will probably fill the difference. The ideal is probably that NIL will go back to being what it was originally envisioned as, where players are paid a modest sum for appearing in commercials and stuff. IDK if that's what will actually happen, though...

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
So confusing. The payments will go as far back as athletes who played four years before NIL. How did that seemingly arbitrary date get picked? What about the players who played five years before NIL?

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Fascinating how the NCAA all of the sudden thinks it's a good idea to pay players. #facade

They should've pulled their head out of their asses decades ago. But now everything is magically OK.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
Fascinating how the NCAA all of the sudden thinks it's a good idea to pay players. #facade

They should've pulled their head out of their asses decades ago. But now everything is magically OK.
It's because the Supreme Court, and in particular Kavanaugh, ripped them a new one in 2021.

"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate."

SlumpBuster

Cornerback
Elite Member
How quickly will a cba, players union and salary cap be agreed on?
Should kill NIL
NIL won't be killed in the same vain as there's still endorsement deals for pro players :) But it may morph into more of what it's actually intended to be, endorsements (and not just a salary for players on the team).

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Man, the players who made money for sure in the NFL, didn't get paid in NIL and going to receive money from this, and got paid under the table by their big-end school boosters, are going to be making bank.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I think this paves the way for the SUPER Conferences even more. BIG 12 and the remnants of the PAC-2 and ACC will now WANT to be part of the B1G and SEC power conference no?
I think it's going to extradite the conference implosion into either 2 super conferences or one big one that basically replaces the NCAA, and basically get the top 64 programs or so, get into pods and play, probably similar to the old 8 team conferences.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds