Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

A Fullback Has Arrived! (1 Viewer)

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
Columbus Lakeview RB Landon Ternus to walk-on at Nebraska as fullback

Bryan Mongo•36 minutes

2.jpg
RB Landon Ternus to walk-on at Nebraska

Landon Ternus was unsure what he would do for college; play a sport or not. He just finished up going 45-0 and winning the state title in wrestling, but he didn’t want to wrestle in college. There was either football or track, but he wanted to play offense in football, and there wasn’t an opportunity until Ed Foley from Nebraska saw Ternus as a fullback in the new offense under Matt Rhule.

“It’s a good opportunity to play for coach and playing fullback,” Ternus said. “I love the physicality of blocking. You are not expected to be 300 pounds and you are expected to block.

“This opportunity really interested me. My decision was not based on what others wanted me to do. I wanted to stay close to home.”

Ternus started to trim his options in recent weeks. He just wrapped up his wrestling season, going undefeated and winning a state title. After all of that, he determined he didn’t want to wrestle in college.

“To be truthfully honest, I didn’t want anything to do with college wrestling. I did think about throwing in college. It was track or football, but if it was football it was to play offense.

“Last year I was runner-up in discus and fourth in shot-put. I don’t know who got third, but the top two were seniors. I will be the top returning discus thrower at discus.”

Head Coach Kurt Frenzen talks about the interest from Nebraska

About a month ago, Nebraska came to Columbus. Nebraska special teams assistant coach Ed Foley hit the high schools in Columbus and had the name and the story of Ternus to take back to Lincoln.

“Coach Foley came through about three weeks ago I think,” coach Frenzen said. “He heard the story and he took at Landon. Nebraska did their evaluation after the looked at the tape and talked to Landon.

“He followed him during the rest of wrestling season, finishing up 45-0 didn’t hurt his chances. Landon will be the top returning thrower at shot and probably the top thrower at discus. He finished eighth in the state in the 200-meter and ran anchor in the 4×100 and 4×400 relay teams. He was all-state football on top of that.”

1.jpg
Columbus Lakeview RB Landon Ternus

There was interest for Ternus before Nebraska came in. Coach Frenzen mentioned that he went to one school’s camp dinged up and the staff at another school was all fired.

“North Dakota State was in on him. He went up and tested on a bad ankle and he really shouldn’t have been there. They cooled after the camp. Missouri Western State was in contact with him. The entire staff was fired though.”

Things are really perfect for Ternus and Nebraska according to coach Frenzen. He sees a fullback in Matt Rhule’s offense that looks like fullbacks of old in Lincoln.

“Nebraska is recruiting him as a fullback and that’s where Landon wanted to play,” coach Frenzen said. “That was music to his ears and he’s excited about it! He looks like a traditional fullback. He can really run with that size and stature.”

Ternus isn’t sure what he will major in at Nebraska. Besides playing football, wrestling, and track he also played legion baseball in the past.

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Look at that, Rhules already higher in my book than Frost.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds