Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

3 new crystal balls for Raiola to USC (1 Viewer)

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Cally shut down the naysayers who kept chirping that you couldn't recruit to Nebraska. Then fans fell in line with the "Can't recruit to Nebraska" mindset with Pelini & Frost. This staff has already shown a high closing rate once they get recruits on campus. Currently the #1 & #3 recruits in the 2024 Class are visiting for the spring game, plus a gaggle of highly sought after 4 stars. This staff gets it plus really is proud of what Nebraska stands for and offers.

Any naysayers on being able to recruit to Nebraska please show me what you are seeing from Rhule & his staff that tells you we aren't going to get quite a few players that the coaches have high on their list? What are the Red Flags concerning you with the way this staff coaches and recruits?
I mean Frost was recruiting at a top 20 level with basically no tangible on field success. How many schools can somebody do that at? The hardest thing about recruiting to Nebraska is getting kids on the flights here.

I thought Billy C had the combination of ace recruiters, 2001 was the last time we were in the National Championship picture and Billy was coaching a super bowl a few years prior. If he had a better DC that was suited for the Big 12 it would have been interesting to see what he could have done.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I thought Billy C had the combination of ace recruiters, 2001 was the last time we were in the National Championship picture and Billy was coaching a super bowl a few years prior.
Yeah honestly I think the whole angle is overblown. Cally had great recruiting success because he and his coaches were good recruiters, and he was recruiting to a school that was still on the mountaintop. Every player he recruited had memories of NU being legitimate national championship contenders every year of their childhood. It's not like he had some magical formula, he just used the ingredients effectively because he wasn't lazy (Solich) and didn't believe in a self-fulfilling prophecy (Pelini).

Rhule has a MUCH MUCH bigger uphill battle as a recruiter to NU. Cally took over 2 years after a natty appearance, Rhule took over after a decade of the worst football in any of our memories. But luckily for us he seems to be using NU's ingredients just as effectively already. I think we're clearly in great hands.

Last edited:

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I think he's kind of like Fidone in that he's just a Nebraska fan at heart.
Do we know this, or do we just assume it's true based on the fact that we're in the race at all? I genuinely don't know, has Dom been known as a huge fan since his playing days? I just can never understand how any high schooler outside the state could be a Nebraska fan at heart unless their family goes really hard for NU.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Do we know this, or do we just assume it's true based on the fact that we're in the race at all? I genuinely don't know, has Dom been known as a huge fan since his playing days? I just can never understand how any high schooler outside the state could be a Nebraska fan at heart unless their family goes really hard for NU.
He's said he grew up watching tons of Nebraska games at the house. Nebraska stuff all over the house. He may not be the mega fan that Fidone is but IIRC he has said he's a fan or at least implied it strongly.

If he wasn't, Nebraska wouldn't even be within earshot right now. If he wasn't an NU fan NU would have been eliminated long ago.

But just being a fan doesn't always mean something. Scott Frost was the biggest NU fan there was and he chose Stanford out of HS. And that was at the height of the NU program in its history. So I don't rate 'fandom' as all that important. It helps but it's not everything.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
But just being a fan doesn't always mean something. Scott Frost was the biggest NU fan there was and he chose Stanford out of HS. And that was at the height of the NU program in its history. So I don't rate 'fandom' as all that important. It helps but it's not everything.
Scott's brother, who was only 18 months older, was at Stanford already. Add to that that to Bill Walsh being the coach and Joe Montana recruiting him for Walsh, you can see why a QB would go to Stanford instead of opting for the then Husker offense as a QB.

We don't have the issue with a non-NFL offense now, and Raiola doesn't have a brother at USC or Georgia. Clearly, though, we don't have recent success to point to.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah honestly I think the whole angle is overblown. Cally had great recruiting success because he and his coaches were good recruiters, and he was recruiting to a school that was still on the mountaintop. Every player he recruited had memories of NU being legitimate national championship contenders every year of their childhood. It's not like he had some magical formula, he just used the ingredients effectively because he wasn't lazy (Solich) and didn't believe in a self-fulfilling prophecy (Pelini).

Rhule has a MUCH MUCH bigger uphill battle as a recruiter to NU. Cally took over 2 years after a natty appearance, Rhule took over after a decade of the worst football in any of our memories. But luckily for us he seems to be using NU's ingredients just as effectively already. I think we're clearly in great hands.
It also helped John Blake had a money bag.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
He's said he grew up watching tons of Nebraska games at the house. Nebraska stuff all over the house. He may not be the mega fan that Fidone is but IIRC he has said he's a fan or at least implied it strongly.

If he wasn't, Nebraska wouldn't even be within earshot right now. If he wasn't an NU fan NU would have been eliminated long ago.

Scott Frost has always been the biggest fan of himself if you talk to people who knew him from McCook and Wood River.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
How I'll feel in three weeks

The Lord Of The Rings Mueller Report GIF by reactionseditor

Ghost of Devaney

Linebacker
Elite Member
I would be curious to hear some of those stories. Everyone talks about how there were always stories of him being an asshole in high school and college, but I have never actually heard any of them.
i know someone from the championship team that couldn't stand him. The usual reasons: arrogance, cockiness and the most stubborn person they ever knew. When Frost was hired the gang got together (the team) to all pinky swear they would let bygones be bygones and support him in any way they could as head coach. That's why you saw that large group that gathered for his intro press conference.

My guy had a real tough time with this but agreed and bit his tongue off for the last 4 years. He finally let 'er rip and said that what happened was exactly what he thought would happen. When you're the smartest guy in the room and won't take advice yet aren't experienced it is a recipe for disaster. Said Scott looked him in the eyes and flat out lied to him on numerous occasions when discussing plans for improving the oline, the run game. Scotty needs to stay south for his own good. LOL

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I would be curious to hear some of those stories. Everyone talks about how there were always stories of him being an asshole in high school and college, but I have never actually heard any of them.
It had to do with him being arrogant. I heard plenty of the same shit about his dad. I never heard a bad word about his mom.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds