Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Off Season Thread

Rob Dvoracek thought the competition amongst the linebackers was already running hot in the spring. So, yeah, bring on the fall and see how high the temperature can rise as Nebraska figures out its Jack, Will and Mike spots.

Although, those labels?

"Really all three of them kind of do very similar things," Dvoracek said during an appearance Thursday on the 'Sports Nightly' radio show. "Just based on the skillset of the players we may ask some to do a little bit more of thing than another."

And, yeah, guys are working at multiple spots. Sometimes all three spot in the spring, which helped them learn the system too.

"You'll see guys lined up at Jack, you'll guys lined up at Will, you'll see them at Mike," the coach said. "It's going to be hard to say who's where and who's what because of how the system is designed and also the skillset of the players that we have in the room."

What else?

– Good news on the injury front.

Nick Henrich
, who suffered a knee injury last fall and missed the spring, is back at it. "Nick's doing well. He's healthy. He's back," Dvoracek said. "He's worked his butt of as well. He's another really smart guy ... Obviously he didn't get the chance to do anything this spring, but he was always up in the room. He's helping the younger guys. He's learning the new system. I think he's becoming more and more comfortable."

– The early impressions on the freshmen are favorable.

Maverick Noonan
was here in the spring. "And he kind of just hopped right in. You didn't even know he was a freshman. He works hard. He's got football in his blood ... He's willing to do whatever you ask. ... I'm excited to see his career continue to get better and better and I'm excited to see him this fall.

Eric Fields is here now, backing up what they already thought. Dvoracek called him an "exceptional athlete" who is explosive and works really hard. "He's going to be another guy to watch ... There's a lot of development still but I'm glad he's here, I'm glad I get to work with him."

Dylan Rogers has hopped right in too. Dvoracek likes how he fits into the system with his size (already listed at 240) and movement.

"All those freshmen, even the walk-on guys who have come in, they've all kind of adapted to what the seniors and juniors, and even the sophomores have established in that room of, hey, this is how we work and this is the expectation."

– The staff hasn't arrived to any conversations yet about who might play or redshirt.

Of course players can compete in four games and still maintain a redshirt too.

"That's something down the road. We'll take it day by day and see how the guys develop through the fall ... If they're ready, they're ready. If they're not, they're not. And we're never going to put them in a bad situation and hurt themselves or the team. So we're just going to kind of see where things go. If they're ready to play and they deserve the right to play, we'll have that conversation."

Gage Stenger, out of Millard South, is in Dvoracek's room now.

He was playing the rover spot in the spring and the redshirt freshman had an impressive spring game. So Stenger was already doing some things from that rover spot working in the box. His natural skills showed there so they're going to put some weight on him and work him as one of the backers.

Kaine Williams is in a similar boat. He moved up to the second level in the spring. "And he had some flashes in the spring. You've seen him make some plays in the backfield," Dvoracek said of the former Alabama player. "So I'm excited to see where things go for him."

– Senior Luke Reimer is fast, smart and instinctual, Dvoracek said.

"He works really hard. He's always on the top 10 lists. He's doing a lot of good things for us. The winter, he busted his tail. He was in a black jersey. The springtime, he's always up in the room studying ... I have really high expectations for him."

– John Bullock had one of the best springs of anyone, Matt Rhule has said.

The junior linebacker who seems like he's going to be a key component for the defense is just blue collar and plays downhill, Dvoracek added.

"He's got the athletic ability. I have really high expectations for him. He has really high standards for himself and the room, so the future is up for him."

Jimari Butler is in Dvoracek's room.

He's a versatile backer with rush end capabilities who "played on the line of scrimmage a good amount, he played off the ball a good amount. Jimari's done a nice job as well. He hasn't done a lot previously off the ball, so that's been a little bit of a transition for him, but he enjoys it, he has a lot of fun doing it."

MJ Sherman and Chief Borders have competitiveness in which they push each other and the room, the coach said.

"You can see their energy. Those are both guys that we've done a lot of things with in the spring as well. We've bounced them around at all the positions and kind of seen what skillset they have and where they're most comfortable. Just trying to find the best fit."

Both have gotten bigger through their summer work and their personalities have added to them being good additions to the room.

Garrett Snodgrass is a veteran who spends a lot of time with the younger players.

"He's kind of already got a little bit of that coaching in him, which is cool to see, because he's always asking what he can do better, what can be better for the room, how to help the guys."

Randolph Kpai has gained weight.

He was 203 when Dvoracek arrived. He's around 220 now. "So he's put in the work. Really proud of him."

Mikai Gbayor is coming off a knee injury and received kudos from Dvoracek from how hard he has worked. "He's another guy that, 'Whatever you need me to do Coach. I'll go play all the positions.'"

Seth Malcom was injured in the spring and there wasn't an update there.

– Dvoracek definitely feels he's gotten to know his room a lot better.

The linebackers recently had a bowling event together. Grant Buda brought his own ball. Even the bowling got competitive.

"I feel like now more than ever they're starting to gel together so I'm really starting to see their personalities," Dvoracek said. "I think early on they're all a little bit shy, maybe a little timid, and then you crack their shell and you get to know them. And the room starts to gel together. So it's a fun room. They work really hard. They push each other. I see guys in the room constantly ... watching tape, studying football, getting on the board.

"That's something that they've established as a group of, 'Hey, this is how we're going to do things. This is our standard."

Rob Dvoracek thought the competition amongst the linebackers was already running hot in the spring. So, yeah, bring on the fall and see how high the temperature can rise as Nebraska figures out its Jack, Will and Mike spots.

Although, those labels?

"Really all three of them kind of do very similar things," Dvoracek said during an appearance Thursday on the 'Sports Nightly' radio show. "Just based on the skillset of the players we may ask some to do a little bit more of thing than another."

And, yeah, guys are working at multiple spots. Sometimes all three spot in the spring, which helped them learn the system too.

"You'll see guys lined up at Jack, you'll guys lined up at Will, you'll see them at Mike," the coach said. "It's going to be hard to say who's where and who's what because of how the system is designed and also the skillset of the players that we have in the room."

What else?

– Good news on the injury front.

Nick Henrich
, who suffered a knee injury last fall and missed the spring, is back at it. "Nick's doing well. He's healthy. He's back," Dvoracek said. "He's worked his butt of as well. He's another really smart guy ... Obviously he didn't get the chance to do anything this spring, but he was always up in the room. He's helping the younger guys. He's learning the new system. I think he's becoming more and more comfortable."

– The early impressions on the freshmen are favorable.

Maverick Noonan
was here in the spring. "And he kind of just hopped right in. You didn't even know he was a freshman. He works hard. He's got football in his blood ... He's willing to do whatever you ask. ... I'm excited to see his career continue to get better and better and I'm excited to see him this fall.

Eric Fields is here now, backing up what they already thought. Dvoracek called him an "exceptional athlete" who is explosive and works really hard. "He's going to be another guy to watch ... There's a lot of development still but I'm glad he's here, I'm glad I get to work with him."

Dylan Rogers has hopped right in too. Dvoracek likes how he fits into the system with his size (already listed at 240) and movement.

"All those freshmen, even the walk-on guys who have come in, they've all kind of adapted to what the seniors and juniors, and even the sophomores have established in that room of, hey, this is how we work and this is the expectation."

– The staff hasn't arrived to any conversations yet about who might play or redshirt.

Of course players can compete in four games and still maintain a redshirt too.

"That's something down the road. We'll take it day by day and see how the guys develop through the fall ... If they're ready, they're ready. If they're not, they're not. And we're never going to put them in a bad situation and hurt themselves or the team. So we're just going to kind of see where things go. If they're ready to play and they deserve the right to play, we'll have that conversation."

Gage Stenger, out of Millard South, is in Dvoracek's room now.

He was playing the rover spot in the spring and the redshirt freshman had an impressive spring game. So Stenger was already doing some things from that rover spot working in the box. His natural skills showed there so they're going to put some weight on him and work him as one of the backers.

Kaine Williams is in a similar boat. He moved up to the second level in the spring. "And he had some flashes in the spring. You've seen him make some plays in the backfield," Dvoracek said of the former Alabama player. "So I'm excited to see where things go for him."

– Senior Luke Reimer is fast, smart and instinctual, Dvoracek said.

"He works really hard. He's always on the top 10 lists. He's doing a lot of good things for us. The winter, he busted his tail. He was in a black jersey. The springtime, he's always up in the room studying ... I have really high expectations for him."

– John Bullock had one of the best springs of anyone, Matt Rhule has said.

The junior linebacker who seems like he's going to be a key component for the defense is just blue collar and plays downhill, Dvoracek added.

"He's got the athletic ability. I have really high expectations for him. He has really high standards for himself and the room, so the future is up for him."

Jimari Butler is in Dvoracek's room.

He's a versatile backer with rush end capabilities who "played on the line of scrimmage a good amount, he played off the ball a good amount. Jimari's done a nice job as well. He hasn't done a lot previously off the ball, so that's been a little bit of a transition for him, but he enjoys it, he has a lot of fun doing it."

MJ Sherman and Chief Borders have competitiveness in which they push each other and the room, the coach said.

"You can see their energy. Those are both guys that we've done a lot of things with in the spring as well. We've bounced them around at all the positions and kind of seen what skillset they have and where they're most comfortable. Just trying to find the best fit."

Both have gotten bigger through their summer work and their personalities have added to them being good additions to the room.

Garrett Snodgrass is a veteran who spends a lot of time with the younger players.

"He's kind of already got a little bit of that coaching in him, which is cool to see, because he's always asking what he can do better, what can be better for the room, how to help the guys."

Randolph Kpai has gained weight.

He was 203 when Dvoracek arrived. He's around 220 now. "So he's put in the work. Really proud of him."

Mikai Gbayor is coming off a knee injury and received kudos from Dvoracek from how hard he has worked. "He's another guy that, 'Whatever you need me to do Coach. I'll go play all the positions.'"

Seth Malcom was injured in the spring and there wasn't an update there.

– Dvoracek definitely feels he's gotten to know his room a lot better.

The linebackers recently had a bowling event together. Grant Buda brought his own ball. Even the bowling got competitive.

"I feel like now more than ever they're starting to gel together so I'm really starting to see their personalities," Dvoracek said. "I think early on they're all a little bit shy, maybe a little timid, and then you crack their shell and you get to know them. And the room starts to gel together. So it's a fun room. They work really hard. They push each other. I see guys in the room constantly ... watching tape, studying football, getting on the board.

"That's something that they've established as a group of, 'Hey, this is how we're going to do things. This is our standard."

Hopefully Rhule has the balls to tell Malcom and Snodgrass to pound sand next year. These have to be a couple of the worst scholarship players that have came through here in a while.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back