Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Off Season Thread

URGENT REQUEST:

Historically, when is the new merch release for the upcoming football season? I have so many items to procure prior to stomping the Rodents.
I really like Homefield Apparel. Very comfortable clothing. Vintage options. I just recently purchased the Nebrasketball long sleeve t-shirt.

It's a learning process, naturally, and E.J. Barthel said one of those things the Husker running backs learned in the spring was how to lean on each other.

"The biggest thing I told them when I got here was hopefully we can be friends – that would be great – but ultimately my job is to ... help develop you guys into great student-athletes and really good running backs," Barthel said during a 'Sports Nightly' interview with Greg Sharpe that aired Tuesday night.

It has become a "really tight-knight group," Barthel believes, with the Huskers now just a couple weeks out from the start of fall camp.

In leading the room, Nebraska's running backs coach noted a lot of what he has learned as a coach he's taken from watching the head man Matt Rhule.

"I learned a lot of things about accountability and holding players accountable, holding coaches accountable," said Barthel, stressing the importance of having full transparency in the room. "And being able to have those tough conversations is key for development. The kids have to understand that the criticism comes from a place of care. And I think over time, through action, they start to see that you generally care. That it's not just words. I think that's what really creates the friendships ... the bonds and trusts."

You have to put the time in to know each other, he added, and how each person learns and what their motivations are.

"I think when you're an aggressive coach like I am on the field, they know that it's coming from a good place. We've grown a lot this spring. We've grown closer from when I first got here to really kind of that big brother-little brother relationship."

What else?

– It's worth reminding perhaps that Gabe Ervin and Anthony Grant actually came out of the same powerhouse Buford program in Georgia. "So they've known each other for a long time," Barthel said.

Ervin definitely has had a strong offseason, gaining kudos at various times from Rhule. At the end of spring, Barthel said one thing he wanted Ervin to really focus on "was how to approach the day like a veteran."

He has some experience, yes, but has also dealt with injuries and hasn't seen the field consistently the last two years. "He's an older player, but had to grow up pretty quickly this spring and now is kind of turning into a leader this offseason and even this summer. ..." Not just being vocal, but by action. "When he makes a mistake it's about getting right back and correcting that mistake himself in front of the guys."

Barthel said he's not much of a rah-rah guy but does think Ervin is becoming that leader in his practice habits and and taking care of his body and recovery the right way.

In working with Christian McCaffrey at Carolina, Barthel said he got a chance to see how a player of such a high caliber focuses on his body and recovery. He uses the example of McCaffrey with his guys a lot of taking the proper care of their body to maximize their gifts.

What's the focal piece for Grant to add to his game?

The back has really good burst and strength, the coach thinks.

"The one thing that we've been working on this offseason is teaching him the blocking schemes and teaching him the run schemes," Barthel said. "As a running back, Pop Warner to high school and maybe even into some colleges, you usually rely on your athleticism or you rely on your speed and your power ... but at this level you can't win every battle that way. You have to have a really good understanding of where the ball is trying to insert, what we're trying to do, what we're trying to accomplish and here's where you should be using your natural God-given abilities. And here's where you need to use timing and patience and vision."

Barthel feels Grant has been coming along well at that.

– Barthel said he's noticed Rahmir Johnson, who he already knew from when he was a recruit, is a really good inside runner.

"Rahmir has a good understanding of where the ball is supposed to insert, and how to hit it and timing, and getting vertical inside," Barthel said. "And he's actually powerful." If you look at him and think he's a smaller type back, Barthel said you find out "he has some power behind his pads."

He's another who has stepped up into a leadership role with Ervin. "He knows what he's supposed to do. He studies his plays. He's becoming a really good leader for the younger guys."

– Barthel felt redshirt freshman Emmett Johnson made some movements in the mental part of the game this spring.

Johnson is very competitive and "he wants to go, go, go, go," said the coach, which is something he can appreciate. "But he's really become a mature young man the last few months. He's really focused on one thing, getting better at one thing every week. And he's been challenged every week to get better at one thing, whether it's a route or a run."

Very coachable, which certainly gives a guy a chance.

"His career will go as far as he wants it to go."

Kwinten Ives is a summer arrival who Barthel said looks explosive and twitchy.

"Everything we expected him to be, he is. He's got a nice big frame." He'a almost 200 pounds. It will take some time to transition, "but he's a very impressive young man, for sure."

Janiran Bonner is one of those fullback options, as we learned in the spring.

Barthel said Bonner has all those characteristics you look for on the road recruiting of being a team player, being a versatile athlete.

"That's a reflection of Coach Rhule on, 'Let's focus on our players and let's focus on our roster,'" Barthel said of Bonner becoming an option as what seems a hybrid player who can play fullback. "The answer always isn't going outside and looking for recruits. It's, hey, who's here and how are they being here and what value can they bring? Look under every stone and that's what we did with Janiran."

Bonner is a team-first guy, the coach added, who was receptive to the position move right away and has embraced it and shown he can be a pretty good player.

– Others to keep in mind?

Trevin Luben had a good spring at tailback and is becoming a guy Barthel feels he can rely on.

Trevor Ruth made some impressions with his athleticism in the spring.

And Notre Dame transfer Barret Liebentritt, who came out of Omaha Skutt originally, isa "big, explosive" 215 to 220-pound athlete "we expect to help out in the room."

Barthel is excited to see what fall camp shows with some of those guys.

"It's really going to be about competing with each other, and guys really getting after it this camp, so we can kind of see who can really rise to the top out of that fullback position."

I really like Homefield Apparel. Very comfortable clothing. Vintage options. I just recently purchased the Nebrasketball long sleeve t-shirt.

Love these guys. They have all of my money. Literally wearing one of their shirts right now.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back