Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Fall Camp Thread

Phalen Sanford on scholly.

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

Matt Rhule's team took on the heat on Saturday in a scrimmage, before a Boneyard Bash with the students.

Afterward, the Husker head coach offered up some things to know:

– Marcus Washington isn't back yet but remains close to a return and will be ready for Minnesota, he said of the receiver. Teddy Prochazka should jump back into action this week as well. "He's trending in a really favorable direction."

– Rhule said he thought the defense played really strong again during the scrimmage. The offense had a few nice drives, and the procedural issues from last week went away. "I thought it was a step in the right direction. Definitely a step in the right direction."

There were one or two players who put the ball on the ground on offense. "I'm not going to indict everyone for that but we have one or two guys who have to protect the ball better. But I think our defense is definitely being physical and hitting."

He said the defense's strength is flocking to the ball and striking people. They're playing the run well. They did give up maybe one big play, but "for the most part I think we're playing good team defense."

– There will be a depth chart put out game week.

Sometimes the line is thin. Like, Rhule couldn't tell you if Blaise Gunnerson or Cam Lenhardt is the starter right now at one of the D-line spots. Both will be important. "The answer is yes, they're both starters."

– At running back, however, Rhule said Gabe Ervin "is clearly the No. 1 guy." Rahmir Johnson is clearly the third-d0wn back with his ability to track protections and catch the ball is "pretty special." Rahmir has a slight tweak to his hamstring but should be back this week.

Anthony Grant is elite running it but he has put the ball on the ground too much of late.

"No matter how talented you are if you fumble the football, you can't play for us." Going to continue to work on it, but it's been an issue of late and Grant knows he has to conquer it. "But when he's right he sees it as well as anybody."

Emmett Johnson is also impressing and is in the run to be the lead kickoff returner.

– Rhule said there won't be permanent captains. There will be game-by-game captains. And when the team gets to bowl season, the Huskers will vote for permanent captains. The single-digits are one way of leadership being show. There will also be a Unity Council.

– Blackshirts will go out during game week.

– How many will the Huskers play on defense?

Rhule said they have six or seven they could put in a game right now. Might be getting close to eight.

There are three Jack linebackers they trust.

Six inside backers who have shown they can play, with others on the way.

He said there are a lot of guys on the back end who can play. You just have to get to the games "and get guys in there and make sure the moment's not too big."

– Kicking game still has work to do. Tristan Alvano was with the top group today, but there's work still needed there as both him and Timmy Bleekrode compete for the top job.

– Rhule said he doesn't want them getting into the game-plan work for Minnesota too early because as odd as it sounds guys can sometimes get bored to a degree if you go too early. So you have to time it just right. Next Friday will be the true tipping point to game week.

– The Huskers have two scholarships left over so those will go to walk-ons. One will go to Phalen Sanford. The other hasn't learned the news yet.

Jeff Sims has been taking great care of the ball, Rhule said, and he would have never suspected he had a higher turnover rate at Georgia Tech. It's a fine line, too, between ball security and taking your shots.

"We want to win the turnover battle but also win the explosive play battle. We can go out there and go into a shell and not turn the ball over but go 3-and-out. It's the same thing, right? So we want to be explosive and I think Jeff is learning that line of when to be explosive, when not. When to take a chance, when not to. We don't want to play scared. That's the biggest thing for this group is they can't play scared."

When will we get some confirmation on some who are no longer with the team?
they are probably with the team but are either guys who are in year 6 or who started off as walk-ons. Those guys could be getting NIL instead of a scholly. The guys who are on the roster are on the team I'd say

When will we get some confirmation on some who are no longer with the team?
Looks like we will be 4 over (he added Phalen so 1 more) according to Dean's chart. I'm sure they are still with the team one way, or another like @Carm said. I did a quick count on the roster, and it looks like we are at 135 total players, the extra 15 will be able to join the rest of the team next week I believe. If there is anyone missing, we should know then.

Pos.Fr.RFr.So.Jr.Sr.
QB (3)Heinrich Haarberg

Chubba Purdy
Jeff Sims
RB (5)Kwinten IvesEmmett JohnsonGabe Ervin Jr.Rahmir JohnsonAnthony Grant
FB (1)Janiran Bonner
WR (10)Malachi Coleman

Jaidyn Doss

Brice Turner

Jaylen Lloyd

Jeremiah Charles

Demitrius Bell

Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda
Marcus Washington

Josh Fleeks

Billy Kemp IV
TE (5)Ismael Smith FloresJake ApplegetThomas Fidone

Arik Gilbert

Nate Boerkircher
OL (14)Gunnar Gottula

Brock Knutson

Sam Sledge

Mason Goldman
Justin Jenkins

Jacob Hood

Tyler Knaak
Henry Lutovsky

Teddy Prochazka
Bryce Benhart

Turner Corcoran

Ethan Piper

Ben Scott
Nouredin Nouili
DL (14)Vincent Carroll-Jackson

Riley Van Poppel

Cameron Lenhardt

Sua Lefotu

Jason Maciejczak

Princewill Umanmielen
Brodie TagaloaRu’Quan Buckley

Blaise Gunnerson

Elijah Jeudy

Kai Wallin

AJ Rollins
Nash Hutmacher

Ty Robinson
LB (14)Dylan Rogers

Maverick Noonan
Gage StengerRandolph Kpai

Mikai Gbayor

Jimari Butler

Chief Borders

Kaine Williams
Nick Henrich

Garrett Snodgrass

MJ Sherman

John Bullock

Javin Wright
Luke Reimer
DB (18)Dwight Bootle II

Syncere Safeeullah

Ethan Nation

Rahmir Stewart

Eric Fields

D’Andre Barnes
Tamon Lynum

Malcolm Hartzog

Koby Bretz

Corey Collier
Javier Morton

Tommi Hill

Marques Buford

DeShon Singleton

Isaac Gifford

Phalen Sanford

Quinton Newsome

Omar Brown
ST (4)Tristan AlvanoTimmy Bleekrode

Brian Buschini
Marco Ortiz
Class Total27822219
Total27/8535/8557/8579/8588/85
(Bolded players have used their redshirts.)

Looks like we will be 4 over (he added Phalen so 1 more) according to Dean's chart. I'm sure they are still with the team one way, or another like @Carm said. I did a quick count on the roster, and it looks like we are at 135 total players, the extra 15 will be able to join the rest of the team next week I believe. If there is anyone missing, we should know then.

(Bolded players have used their redshirts.)

Also, Rhule&Co cut the total roster from 151 LY to 135 TY.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back