Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Fall Camp Thread

Husker defensive coordinator Tony White was at the mic on Friday, just 13 days before Nebraska opens its season at Minnesota.

The Huskers will have their second major fall scrimmage on Saturday, as White's defense looks to back up a strong outing from last weekend.

Let's rip through some of the key items in White's talk with the media:

– Organization and communication on the sideline are some of the top focal points for White in tomorrow's work.

"I've been conscious to stay off the field and not speak to the guys and everything," White said. "As you get closer to 8/31, you have to make it as game-like as possible. So the coaches stepping back and letting the guys organize themselves, communicate themselves, operate substitutions the right way..."

White said the Huskers got a penalty on substitutions at the end of Friday's practice, which didn't sit well with him. "So I need to make sure we're clear on that. You want to make sure you're logistically sound that way."

– When it came to last scrimmage, White said there were some guys who played really fast and physical. "For the most part we can always correct, but it was very fun to watch some of the guys line up and play without thinking," he said. "That goes back to what the coaches are teaching in the classroom." White also brought up Dr. Brett Haskell and her work with the guys in having them have the right mindsets to absorb information and have them process that fast.

"We made plenty of mistakes and there were some guys who showed up and some guys who can play better, so that's what camp is."

– White said the Huskers have continued to add and subtract things through self-scouting.

"Camp sometimes you go plays, plays, plays. And then you look and and say, 'Are we actually going to use this on 8/31?' So it was good to scale back on some of those things for myself and then call more of the things we weren't good at or we're actually going to use."

– White likes that zero jersey number on Nash Hutmacher as a nose guard.

He said the D-linemen are "playing their butts off right now" and said that's a testament to the bond Terrance Knighton has built with those guys.

Even as stress builds toward a season opener, he can always hear that D-line group laughing and staying loose in meetings. "That's a good sound."

He likes how they're coming off the ball. "When those guys are playing physical and fast, you've got a chance so I like where those guys are at."

– Hutmacher is capable of anything he wants to do, the coach said.

"And now he's given a chance to be one of the guys in the limelight and he's making the most of it. He's been physical. He's knowing what to do. He's getting guys lined up. And I mean he is truly developing the way you want them to develop."

– White said three more defenders receiving single digits on Thursday is a testament to them. Five of the seven single-digit guys so far come from that side of the ball.

"I didn't do anything. Those guys are OOU (One Of Us) guys. It's really cool when that kind of reward comes from the team." Players vote on it.

Nick Henrich was one of those single-digit guys, making himself known after a long offseason injury.

"You see a veteran right away. He's played a lot of football so you can see the reactions right away." Some younger guys can get fooled on something a little easier but White said you can see the veteran knowledge in Henrich.

He's also a lively guy to be around and is all about conversation and Nebraska. "So it really is a joy to watch him run around ... Some guys are scared when they come back (from injury) and for him to be amongst his teammates and guys he truly loves to be around ... I think it's great for him."

– John Bullock is a single-digit guy too. A guy who hasn't been involved defensively in years past is now thriving at linebacker.

"That's what this place is. That'w what Coach Rhule said from Day 1 about developing players. That's the neat thing about me being able to learn from is to see people coach-speak and say things all the time but it's one thing to apply it. Just the constant attention to, 'Who else can help us? Can they help us here? Can they do this? What about if we moved them here?' Never forget anybody on that roster."

– White said you could see the twitch and athleticism in Bullock from Day 1 of spring.

"But you could see the mindset. He's Nebraska. He is all in. He is blue collar. He is like, 'I want this deal.' And he is a great teammate."

White loves some core guys in this defense who are shining, naming Bullock, Heinrich, Luke Reimer, Ty Robinson and Blaise Gunnerson.

With Bullock he remembers Rhule coming over to him when the defender was running around at safety. Rhule thought he could help somewhere so let's see it. He liked that he was an OOU guy.

White gives Rhule credit for seeing what others didn't see first. Rob Dvoracek started meeting extra with him.

"Sure enough, he's balling."

Quinton Newsome is another guy who doesn't get spooked by things the offense does.

White believes the corner can put himself in the conversation as one of the best DBs in conversation if he keeps rising. White has been especially impressed with the physicality he's showing in the run game.

"It's about him and his maturity, and saying, 'Every play he can be that guy.' He's done a nice job so far."

– Hey, back to that D-line. What about the depth?

"That's the question everywhere, man," White said good-naturedly. "Every school. Georgia, Bama. Every school is saying we don't have enough big guys, right? But nah, I look at skillsets. That's why you've got guys like MJ (Sherman), the 250 to 255 pounders. You've got Blaise, 260. And then the true emphasis on rotating and playing a lot of guys in there. If you can take 10 to 15 to 20 snaps off early in the season, that's 10 to 15 to 20 snaps you're going to get later on in the season."

So rotating is going to be real it seems.

White said they are talking a lot about the secondary rotation right now.

"Especially in November, December, you don't want the new guy going in there with no snaps. You want guys to play as much as they can."

Luke Reimer makes a lot of plays and even has a few more he can make when he completely lets it loose.

Reimer apparently did that in the last Saturday scrimmage. White said it was the most aggressive he's seen him probably.

"He was in the backfield so many times. His physicality was awesome to watch. I kind of joke with him. There's the thud side and then there's the live, 'let me go kill somebody' side.'" White loves seeing that second side on the field from Reimer.

– White said Jeff Sims is a "totally different player" to deal with than a lot of guys.

"He is fun to watch, especially seeing him back then (at Georgia Tech) and then seeing him now. He's fun to watch back there. It's cool."

White thinks he's showing it with his reads and confidence in the pocket, his maturity and arm strength. "You name it, the guy has really put in the work to be a leader in this system at Nebraska. Defending him on the other side, he's making me a better coach for sure."

Husker defensive coordinator Tony White was at the mic on Friday, just 13 days before Nebraska opens its season at Minnesota.

The Huskers will have their second major fall scrimmage on Saturday, as White's defense looks to back up a strong outing from last weekend.

Let's rip through some of the key items in White's talk with the media:

– Organization and communication on the sideline are some of the top focal points for White in tomorrow's work.

"I've been conscious to stay off the field and not speak to the guys and everything," White said. "As you get closer to 8/31, you have to make it as game-like as possible. So the coaches stepping back and letting the guys organize themselves, communicate themselves, operate substitutions the right way..."

White said the Huskers got a penalty on substitutions at the end of Friday's practice, which didn't sit well with him. "So I need to make sure we're clear on that. You want to make sure you're logistically sound that way."

– When it came to last scrimmage, White said there were some guys who played really fast and physical. "For the most part we can always correct, but it was very fun to watch some of the guys line up and play without thinking," he said. "That goes back to what the coaches are teaching in the classroom." White also brought up Dr. Brett Haskell and her work with the guys in having them have the right mindsets to absorb information and have them process that fast.

"We made plenty of mistakes and there were some guys who showed up and some guys who can play better, so that's what camp is."

– White said the Huskers have continued to add and subtract things through self-scouting.

"Camp sometimes you go plays, plays, plays. And then you look and and say, 'Are we actually going to use this on 8/31?' So it was good to scale back on some of those things for myself and then call more of the things we weren't good at or we're actually going to use."

– White likes that zero jersey number on Nash Hutmacher as a nose guard.

He said the D-linemen are "playing their butts off right now" and said that's a testament to the bond Terrance Knighton has built with those guys.

Even as stress builds toward a season opener, he can always hear that D-line group laughing and staying loose in meetings. "That's a good sound."

He likes how they're coming off the ball. "When those guys are playing physical and fast, you've got a chance so I like where those guys are at."

– Hutmacher is capable of anything he wants to do, the coach said.

"And now he's given a chance to be one of the guys in the limelight and he's making the most of it. He's been physical. He's knowing what to do. He's getting guys lined up. And I mean he is truly developing the way you want them to develop."

– White said three more defenders receiving single digits on Thursday is a testament to them. Five of the seven single-digit guys so far come from that side of the ball.

"I didn't do anything. Those guys are OOU (One Of Us) guys. It's really cool when that kind of reward comes from the team." Players vote on it.

Nick Henrich was one of those single-digit guys, making himself known after a long offseason injury.

"You see a veteran right away. He's played a lot of football so you can see the reactions right away." Some younger guys can get fooled on something a little easier but White said you can see the veteran knowledge in Henrich.

He's also a lively guy to be around and is all about conversation and Nebraska. "So it really is a joy to watch him run around ... Some guys are scared when they come back (from injury) and for him to be amongst his teammates and guys he truly loves to be around ... I think it's great for him."

– John Bullock is a single-digit guy too. A guy who hasn't been involved defensively in years past is now thriving at linebacker.

"That's what this place is. That'w what Coach Rhule said from Day 1 about developing players. That's the neat thing about me being able to learn from is to see people coach-speak and say things all the time but it's one thing to apply it. Just the constant attention to, 'Who else can help us? Can they help us here? Can they do this? What about if we moved them here?' Never forget anybody on that roster."

– White said you could see the twitch and athleticism in Bullock from Day 1 of spring.

"But you could see the mindset. He's Nebraska. He is all in. He is blue collar. He is like, 'I want this deal.' And he is a great teammate."

White loves some core guys in this defense who are shining, naming Bullock, Heinrich, Luke Reimer, Ty Robinson and Blaise Gunnerson.

With Bullock he remembers Rhule coming over to him when the defender was running around at safety. Rhule thought he could help somewhere so let's see it. He liked that he was an OOU guy.

White gives Rhule credit for seeing what others didn't see first. Rob Dvoracek started meeting extra with him.

"Sure enough, he's balling."

Quinton Newsome is another guy who doesn't get spooked by things the offense does.

White believes the corner can put himself in the conversation as one of the best DBs in conversation if he keeps rising. White has been especially impressed with the physicality he's showing in the run game.

"It's about him and his maturity, and saying, 'Every play he can be that guy.' He's done a nice job so far."

– Hey, back to that D-line. What about the depth?

"That's the question everywhere, man," White said good-naturedly. "Every school. Georgia, Bama. Every school is saying we don't have enough big guys, right? But nah, I look at skillsets. That's why you've got guys like MJ (Sherman), the 250 to 255 pounders. You've got Blaise, 260. And then the true emphasis on rotating and playing a lot of guys in there. If you can take 10 to 15 to 20 snaps off early in the season, that's 10 to 15 to 20 snaps you're going to get later on in the season."

So rotating is going to be real it seems.

White said they are talking a lot about the secondary rotation right now.

"Especially in November, December, you don't want the new guy going in there with no snaps. You want guys to play as much as they can."

Luke Reimer makes a lot of plays and even has a few more he can make when he completely lets it loose.

Reimer apparently did that in the last Saturday scrimmage. White said it was the most aggressive he's seen him probably.

"He was in the backfield so many times. His physicality was awesome to watch. I kind of joke with him. There's the thud side and then there's the live, 'let me go kill somebody' side.'" White loves seeing that second side on the field from Reimer.

– White said Jeff Sims is a "totally different player" to deal with than a lot of guys.

"He is fun to watch, especially seeing him back then (at Georgia Tech) and then seeing him now. He's fun to watch back there. It's cool."

White thinks he's showing it with his reads and confidence in the pocket, his maturity and arm strength. "You name it, the guy has really put in the work to be a leader in this system at Nebraska. Defending him on the other side, he's making me a better coach for sure."

Hype for the defense is off the charts...I'm not sure Minnesota is going to score....

'Skers by 3

1. I hate the phrase "he's a dog" why is he a dog?
2. Are handing out black shirts not a thing anymore?

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back