Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Fall Camp Thread

Joe is the executive director of the Texas High School Coaches Association, a prominent position in the football-crazed state. Before he took that role, he was a successful and well-respected high school football coach.

Joe coached a combined 26 years, 18 as a head coach, at four Texas schools — Lake Dallas, Mabank, Garland and Allen — while compiling an overall record of 150-54-4. He won the state championship at Garland in 1999 using the Wing-T offense.

Joe and Peggy have visited Lincoln twice this summer. They were in town last Saturday for the Huskers’ scrimmage inside Memorial Stadium. The former coach’s thoughts sounded a lot like everyone else’s following the scrimmage.

The defense won the day — by a mile.

“I thought the defense, that day, was way ahead of the offense,” Joe said. “I thought the defense played really, really hard. They ran to the ball really well and tackled really well. Very impressed with that, I think they’ll be really good defensively. I personally don’t have anything to compare it to Big Ten-wise. But, to me, my evaluation — which means nothing — I think they looked really good defensively.

"They were obviously having some procedural issues offensively with being able to line up and motion and the subbing and all the things they were doing. You would much rather see that in a scrimmage than week one playing Minnesota. So they’ll get that corrected and be fine.”

Joe and Peggy were able to visit with Rhule while they were in Lincoln. Joe sees a strong program being built at Nebraska and continues to be impressed with the day-to-day drive of Rhule.

“I’m a big fan, and I’m very impressed with – and intrigued with – who he is every day and his ability to be consistent behavior-wise,” Joe said of Rhule. “He’s demanding and yet he develops great relationships. I’m kind of a press conference junkie, if you will, so I like watching all of his stuff. To me, the common thread here – and I’ve never seen it like this – is every one of those coaches are talking about how great their kids are and how hard their kids are working and how hard their kids really want to excel and succeed.

“I haven’t heard one coach say one negative thing about anything, which is really impressive because that’s not the norm – for me, anyway – when watching others.”

Joe noticed the players asking for more pointers after each rep — even if it was a successful one they did correctly. The way the coaching staff has the players working and striving to be better — everyone in the program has harped on improving by one percent each day — caught Joe’s attention, too.

There’s a focus there that leads Joe to believe the Husker program is trending toward the right direction.

“To watch them work out, there’s not any B.S. to them,” Joe said. “They’re all engaged, and they’re all very intense. It’s all business. That was the most impressive thing to me. I visited a couple other colleges last week, and I can compare what I saw to that part of it. And what I saw (at Nebraska) was really impressive, and it gave me a gauge.”
I am so, so, so much more of a fan of doing most of the adjustments during practice, rather than going fast for fast's sake & trying to adjust in film sessions.

Last edited:
I don't think I've heard for sure, but I assume that it only going to be these 10 single numbers total and not 10 on offense and 10 on defense?

Lots of honkies
Comedy Reaction GIF by CBC

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back