Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Fall Camp Thread

Nope, not getting caught up in fall camp drama this year. I do it every year and every year it ends up being irrelevant to why we suck on the field.

Injuries will happen, some people will observe things and say we suck worse than we do, some people will observe things and be overly optimistic. None of it will give us any better idea about how we’ll do against Minnesota.

NGL, ready for some waterboy nugs though.

Nope, not getting caught up in fall camp drama this year. I do it every year and every year it ends up being irrelevant to why we suck on the field.

Injuries will happen, some people will observe things and say we suck worse than we do, some people will observe things and be overly optimistic. None of it will give us any better idea about how we’ll do against Minnesota.

NGL, ready for some waterboy nugs though.
I think waterboy is gone, homie

Amazon Studios GIF by Amazon Prime Video

I think waterboy is gone, homie

Amazon Studios GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Shoot I didn’t mean for this to post yet. I’m also not sure why it says it posted on Tuesday. We were waiting on some Waterboy and some Faux nugs so we will add those later or run another

@HuskerGarrett , did waterboy underperform in his hydrating duties and/or come in to camp overweight and get the axe from Rhule?

so let me get this right, we do not trust words that come from an employee of tater island but we trust a random husker fan with no profile picture with intel from practice? Needs to be confirmed by the media and coaches before we can trust those tater tots

so let me get this right, we do not trust words that come from an employee of tater island but we trust a random husker fan with no profile picture with intel from practice? Needs to be confirmed by the media and coaches before we can trust those tater tots
I'm skeptical. Why would someone ever lie anonymously on the internet?

Nebraska specials teams coordinator Ed Foley met with the media on Monday to talk about the kicking competition, what is happening at returnman and a few other special teams related teams.

Here’s a little of what Foley had to say:

— There’s no separation at kicker between Timmy Bleekrode and Tristan Alvano. Foley said things are close and he’s happy with the competition. The two have gone back-and-forth throughout camp and the special teams coordinator said he doesn’t believe it's a situation where one is more accurate or one has a stronger leg. Foley believes it’ll be a tough choice based on the start of camp.

— There are factors that Foley is considering, but the special teams coordinator said it is ultimately going to come down to who’s making more kicks throughout camp during critical situations. Not every kick is counted the same and Foley said they try to let the kickers know which ones are more important.

— One thing Foley nipped pretty quickly is the idea Alvano gets credit for the state final kicks that helped Omaha Westside defeat Gretna. Instead, the coordinator said he likes to leave those things for the past. He called it part of recruiting and that while the kicks show Alvano was worthy of being someone the staff was interested in, it’s not part of the process for naming a kicker.

In the same vein, Foley said he’s not giving Bleekrode more or extra credit for having already kicked collegiately. The assistant said he wants to use accuracy throughout camp as the top barometer for the two kickers so that everyone is on the same page as to why a decision gets made.

Brian Buschini is set to hold this year and the punter is also involved in a now three-man competition for kickoff duties.

Billy Kemp is going to factor in as a punt returner. Foley said Kemp would be one of the top three guys, but didn’t offer other names.

— Quite a few freshmen have already shown the ability to help on special teams in different roles for the upcoming season. Again, Foley declined to offer names, but said he fully expects freshmen to be involved for the special teams moving forward.

— Foley said he’s looking forward to getting out on Friday nights and watching some Nebraska high school action this season. The assistant said he’s focused on the team, but hoping to find opportunities to get to local games and continue to learn more about the high schools in the state.

It's not quite as monumental in its chain reaction as when Frank Sinatra had a cold.

But Isaac Gifford was getting a cold on Monday. Second week of camp stuff. Ears were plugged. He would need the questions stated with some authority to hear them in the concourse of Memorial Stadium.

A good man to ask questions of considering just two days earlier Husker head coach Matt Rhule had said, "Isaac Gifford, I mean he is an alpha back there right now. He had an amazing summer. The jump that I've seen Giff make. His mentality."

Rhule started running down the metrics of Gifford's athleticism: 35-inch vert, 10.5 broad, 4.5 with the speed. "He's a multi-year probably NFL player in terms of talent and his mindset has come a long way in terms of taking control back there."
The respect, it seems, is mutual.
"I love this coaching staff, I really do," Gifford said after Monday's practice. "I admire and I trust Coach Coop and Coach Rhule and this whole staff. They really bring out the best out of people and they've definitely brought the best out of me."
He was of course referencing secondary coach Evan Cooper along with the head man. He thinks they've showed him what it takes to be a leader and to work your hardest.

"I think we've always worked hard, but I think they've brought out a different side of everybody," Gifford continued. "There's a level of trust with this staff that they're going to give everything we can and they're going to take care of us."

One day at a time. That's how he's going at it right now and presumably into the season. If it sounds cliche, so be it. Cliches gain their weight enough times by connection to truth.

"I'm the kind of person that gets here (each day) and I'm like, 'Get to lunch. Go as hard as you can. When you get to lunch you get a breather.'"

Go as hard as you can. A breath. Next thing. Go hard as you can. A breath. Next thing.

Right now the next big thing has him being a commanding voice in Nebraska's secondary heading into 2023

"He's tough, he's competitive, he works his butt off, he's disciplined, he's a violent player. He's a captain of that group," said Husker secondary coach Evan Cooper. "He's trying to push us to somewhere we haven't been."

Cooper then gave what you might assume a top-shelf compliment in how badly the Lincoln Southeast grad, the brother of a former Husker success story in Luke Gifford, wants to change the course for Husker football.

"He wants it as bad as I do," the coach told us.

He's listed at 6-1, 205 pounds. A safety option. A rover option. They're basically the same thing as Rhule and Cooper would tell you.

Gifford had said in the spring one of his biggest goals is to start faster in 2023, which added to the magnitude of him having a strong summer runway into camp. He worked out and watched film, or watched film and worked out. Pick the preferred order, but that was the deal.

"It was big for me," said the junior. "Obviously it's Year 4 for me so I would hope I have an idea of football and how to play by now. So I think that's helped me a lot."

Gifford played 665 defensive snaps a season ago, fifth most of any Husker on that team. Quinton Newsome is the only one of those four who had more snaps also available to Nebraska right now as Marques Buford works his way back from injury.

Even with Buford rehabbing and Myles Farmer having hit the portal, Rhule said this weekend, "I see safety as one of our strengths."

Among the options along with Gifford, it appears DeShon Singleton is someone to keep in mind there and senior Omar Brown is a guy Cooper has said can be one of the group's better players if it all comes together.

More of a nickel backer a season ago – in which he had 70 tackles, including five for loss, with a sack and three pass breakups – Gifford grew up playing safety and he still gets to line up in the box and play with the linebackers some in his current role.

Really, his role in 2023 isn't a big change, he said. "I like the spot I'm in right now."

The learning never stops. Gifford is quick to say that.

And so does the need to be as heavily involved as possible. To wit, "I'm always going to have a role on special teams. I'll play on as many as I can."

He wants to lead his position group and then you branch out from there to become one of the top voices of the defense. It seems the latter is happening too.

"It's holding guys accountable to the standard and guys holding me accountable to the standard," he said. "As an older guy, I've seen a lot. I've been through different practices with different coaches and now that we have this standard set, keep guys accountable and they've got to me accountable."

It took a while for some players to adjust, he acknowledged.

Especially for the older guys. You get used to a certain way if you've been around. They younger guys actually have it a bit easier because this way is the only way they know as college ball goes.

"But for older guys it took us a little while to really figure out the 'whys' in what Rhule did," Gifford said. "But now that we've got it figured out, it's good."

The 'whys' are coming with answers now. Why this? Because that. And you best know a camp cold isn't going to stamp out progress.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back