Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Fall Camp Thread

Evan Cooper said the biggest separator when it does come time to figure out the depth chart is actually being the same.

"Being the same guy everyday. When it gets tough during the season I just want to see who I'll be able to count on, that's it."

Some Quick Hits from Monday post-practice interview with the Nebraska secondary coach:

*** When it comes to guys like Malcolm Hartzog, Tommi Hill, Quinton Newsome having position flexibility, Cooper said what he's said before. He looks at those guys always as "just DBs."

Yeah, he might need them at safety at some point, but for now he just wants to cross-train them "if I have to throw them in (in) an emergency case."

Rover is a little different. Safeties are who cross-train there, not corners.

*** Hill's consistency is the biggest change. "Quite honestly I think the entire group has done that, so I like the direction that we're heading in."

*** What's he seen from Isaac Gifford?

"Everything that I need to see. He's tough, he's competitive, he works his butt off, he's disciplined, he's a violent player. He's a captain of that group. He's trying to push us to somewhere we haven't been."

Cooper added that Gifford wants it really bad. "He wants it as bad as I do."

*** Cooper's goal is to get this mindset for his grouop: "Whatever's in front of me, just attack it. That's it. That's where we're headed."

Coaches have tried to set that standard since arrival. "And I just expect the players to raise the standards ... I think we need to go over the standard, and I think that's what we've been trying to do. Especially with Giff and Quinton and Malcolm and those guys. They've trying to push it. Tommi. Phalen (Sanf0rd). They work. DeShon (Singleton). Those guys are working."

*** Cooper said Corey Collier has been fighting through injuries and that's all you can ask for.

He added that Collier's a physical person and wants to be tough. "Zero problems with that. It's just the day-to-day grind. All players go through. It's just the day to day."

*** The young guys have fallen in line with what the veterans are doing.

"They don't really know something different. They just know what Giff is doing and what DeShon is doing and what Quinton is doing and what Tommi is doing and what Phalen is doing."

*** Notice Singleton's name is coming up with some of the guys leading by their work.

Said Isaac Gifford: "He's one of those guys ... he's working all the time. In the summer, he's here, he's watching film with me. We're working out, doing extra. He works his ass off."

*** I asked specifically about Eric Fields, who is working at rover.

"I love Eric Fields. Eric Fields is like the other freshmen trying to figure it out, but he's 1,000 miles per hour. He works his butt off and he's learning. I'm exciting about where he's going."

*** Cooper said he thinks senior Omar Brown could be one of the group's better players.

"Again, the day in and day out. He's trying. He's working at it. He's very gifted. We'll pull him through it, we'll pull him through it. He's just got to keep working and that's it."

*** He isn't worried about the depth chart, pointing out that can even change in-season.Cooper is focused on laying the foundation right now. "Keep shuffling them around and see who's available, and who's accountable, and go from there."

Awkward The Office GIF

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back