Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023-24 Portal Szn

Wasn’t that Chubba’s likely landing spot? Lol
Speaking of Chubba, @Carm if Purdy backed out of the portal to stay on the team, would NU be required to count him against the 85? Or could we accept him back as a walk-on since he took a risk with the portal?

I’m assuming that the NCAA wouldn’t allow that loophole.
Just a hypothetical running through my skull

GIF by Giphy QA

Those are actually great options for a QB that hasn't won anything of note or been healthy his entire college career. I'm actually surprised by this list to be honest.
Id atleast hope for a walk on spot from a more significant school

Speaking of Chubba, @Carm if Purdy backed out of the portal to stay on the team, would NU be required to count him against the 85? Or could we accept him back as a walk-on since he took a risk with the portal?

Interesting question. The fact that he's already graduated may (or may not) impact how the sage and august body known as the NCAA would interpret this.

My understanding has always been entering the portal is a severing of the original scholarship agreement and releases the athlete & school from that. So there is no requirement upon a return that they honor a scholarship & place them back onto the 85. They can renegotiate whatever agreement works best for both parties.

It's definitely a loophole if utilized the right way (enter the portal and see if you have better options, if not, come back and we'll get you on an NIL agreement that's the same or better than your past scholarship/NIL). You'll always be at risk of losing guys but is a safer way to potentially process kids & keep them + gives you flexibility in turning over your roster and shuffling the 85.

Done too often though it would likely draw attention & no idea if/how NCAA would address it. Seems as if they've been throwing in the towel on things lately.

https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...fer-portal-closes-today-what-you-need-to-know

College football transfer portal closes today: What you need to know​

What happens now as the 2024 college football transfer portal winter window closes

Free agency of a kind has arrived in college football and players have been only too happy to use it as the transfer portal has forever changed the way schools can create and fine-tune their rosters for the season to come.
The 2024 transfer portal winter window closed officially at midnight on Tuesday, but that doesn't mean the movement of players will dry up right away.
More than 2,100 players entered their names into the transfer portal as of late on the final day, and that number should keep increasing in the days and weeks to come even before the spring window opens up in mid-April.

More players will enter the portal​

Most fans think that just because the transfer portal has closed means that players won't continue to transfer. But in reality, undergraduates can still appear in the official portal list for days after the window officially closes.
That midnight deadline refers not to the ability of players to appear in the portal, but rather to submit their names and declare their intention to transfer. Provided a player has turned in his paperwork by that time, he will have met the deadline.
But after that paperwork is submitted, the NCAA compliance team can take up to two days to process the entry and formally add his name to the portal list, meaning the late entrants can appear in the portal after the deadline.

Bowl games play a role​

After the NCAA shortened the winter transfer window from 45 days to 30 days, it added an exemption for players who compete in their bowl games, who are given an additional five-day transfer window after playing in the games.

Graduate transfers​

As part of the NCAA rules on transfer players, graduates are allowed to enter their names into the portal just about whenever they like.
With one exception: the NCAA's notification deadline on May 1 for fall and winter sports. Grads must enter their names before that day to be eligible for next season.

How the college football transfer portal works​

The NCAA Transfer Portal is a private database that includes the names of student-athletes in every sport at the Division I, II, and III levels. The full list of names is not available to the public.
A player can enter their name into the transfer portal through their school's compliance office.
Once a player gives written notification of their intent to transfer, the office puts the player's name into the database, and they officially become a transfer.
The compliance office has 48 hours to comply with the player's request and NCAA rules forbid anyone from refusing that request.
The database includes the player's name, contact information, info on whether the player was on scholarship, and if he is a graduate student.
Once a player's name appears in the transfer portal database, other schools are free to contact the player, who can change his mind at any point in the process and withdraw from the transfer portal.
Notably, once a player enters the portal, his school no longer has to honor the athletic scholarship it gave him.
And if that player decides to leave the portal and return to his original school, the school doesn't have to give him another scholarship.

My understanding has always been entering the portal is a severing of the original scholarship agreement and releases the athlete & school from that. So there is no requirement upon a return that they honor a scholarship & place them back onto the 85. They can renegotiate whatever agreement works best for both parties.

It's definitely a loophole if utilized the right way (enter the portal and see if you have better options, if not, come back and we'll get you on an NIL agreement that's the same or better than your past scholarship/NIL). You'll always be at risk of losing guys but is a safer way to potentially process kids & keep them + gives you flexibility in turning over your roster and shuffling the 85.

Done too often though it would likely draw attention & no idea if/how NCAA would address it. Seems as if they've been throwing in the towel on things lately.
The school is allowed to sever the relationship immediately. It isn't required. Schools who want someone to reconsider and return will usually keep the kid on scholarship and on the roster until they actually transfer to a new school.

I'm not sure that if you enter the portal and withdraw without transferring before the portal year closes that the rules would even treat it as a transfer out and back, especially if you were enrolled the entire time.

The real kicker isn't whether you have to get a scholarship. It is whether you are a counter. The rules are not super clear, but if the institution recruited you and initially signed you to a NLI, you probably are a counter even if you withdraw from the portal and don't get a new scholarship if you receive NIL.

Last edited:
The school is allowed to sever the relationship immediately. It isn't required. Schools who want someone to reconsider and return will usually keep the kid on scholarship and on the roster until they actually transfer to a new school.

I'm not sure that if you enter the portal and withdraw without transferring before the portal year closes that the rules would even treat it as a transfer out and back, especially if you were enrolled the entire time.

The real kicker isn't whether you have to get a scholarship. It is whether you are a counter. The rules are not super clear, but if the institution recruited you and initially signed you to a NLI, you probably are a counter even if you withdraw from the portal and don't get a new scholarship if you receive NIL.
I’m wading into waters out of my depth, but do transfers sign NLIs? I.e. is the school committed to provide a scholarship through the rest of his eligibility or is it a year by year thing?

I’m wading into waters out of my depth, but do transfers sign NLIs? I.e. is the school committed to provide a scholarship through the rest of his eligibility or is it a year by year thing?

They sign financial aid agreements but those aren’t binding like NLIs are. You essentially have nothing until that person shows up to class.

There is no NLI. In P5 I believe the rule is the rule is that if a transfer goes on scholarship they are entitled to that scholarship for the remainder of the 5 year eligibility P5 guarantee, or graduation, whichever comes first.

15.3.3.3 Undergraduate Four-Year College Transfers. [A] If an undergraduate four-year college transfer student's
athletics ability is considered in any degree in awarding financial aid, such aid shall be awarded for a period no less than the
student-athlete's five-year period of eligibility or until all requirements to receive a baccalaureate degree are completed,
whichever occurs earlier. A reduction or cancellation during the period of the award may not be made except as permitted
pursuant to Bylaws 15.3.4.2.2 or 15.3.5.1.3. Financial aid may be reduced or canceled based as a result of an institutional
(as opposed to athletics department) proceeding (e.g., disciplinary process) that imposes such a penalty. (Adopted: 8/31/22
Immediate; applicable to transfer student-athletes seeking eligibility during the 2023-24 academic year and thereafter.)

Again, though, the way the rules are written, if they graduate and stay on without scholarship but they still get NIL, they are likely counters.

Last edited:

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back