Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Year One of Rhule. What’s Acceptable to you? Call it. (4 Viewers)

redzoner

Cornerback
Number of losses that are acceptable in year one:

Losses to which teams are acceptable in year one:

Acceptable record in year one:

The ONE thing you will be looking for this year that makes it acceptable:

Me…

Number of Losses: 7

Switching it to unacceptable: LaTech, Northern Illinois, Colorado, Northwestern, Cockeye

Acceptable record in year one: 5-7

The One thing: The eye test. We play good football with what we have.
I can see a world where we make good progress but still lose 8 games due to injuries especially at QB and OT.

Losing to NW again and the non p5 teams would be unacceptable.

6 wins is acceptable assuming no horrific injury luck but if some key players step up I think we can get to 7 or 8.

The one thing I am looking for is Rhule and his staff putting us on a trajectory like both Temple and Baylor. I really think we will be a much tougher and physical team.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’m tired of justifying and making excuses for coaches/players. Bowl game or I’m disappointed again

I can kind of see where you're coming from. It's been six years since NU had a good season or won a bowl game. But part of the reason things got this bad was because people kept making excuses for the coaches. Frost should have been fired after three years, but those excuses let that dipshit coach for two more years. And now, before Rhule has even coached a single game, there are expectations for his first year that no coach has been able to meet in the last six years? That doesn't seem fair.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I can kind of see where you're coming from. It's been six years since NU had a good season or won a bowl game. But part of the reason things got this bad was because people kept making excuses for the coaches. Frost should have been fired after three years, but those excuses let that dipshit coach for two more years. And now, before Rhule has even coached a single game, there are expectations for his first year that no coach has been able to meet in the last six years? That doesn't seem fair.
I don't think anyone is calling for Rhule's head if he doesn't make a bowl this year. Lot of people would lose confidence he's the right guy if he doesn't though.

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
I just want to see proof of concept. I've got a #yearzero mindset

Fix the sloppy shit and show player development and you're probably bowling in each of the last six years. I don't think this is a talented team and you've got two new schemes to install so I'm waiting until next year to set a total

Adolph Coors

Fat
Elite Member
Does Rhule have a roster with 15 future NFL players in the 2-Deep and legit Big Ten players like Westerkamp and Armstrong? I guessed I missed that,
armstrong and kellogg split snaps in 2013. Westerkamp was a freshman. the talent dropoff from Callahan’s classes to Bo’s was grand canyon-esque.

again we should be able to always win 6…

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
It's no secret that I was a Frost fan boy. I wanted it to work more than I've ever wanted anything sports fan wise to work. So bad. I made excuses for losses, made excuses for Adrian's mistakes, made excuses for poor assistant coaching, made excuses for him keeping certain people. Part of it was me not really knowing the level of coaching that it takes to be successful at really any level, but a lot of it was that I loved how much they all bought in to the 90s mantra, for obvious reasons. Now? Don't care about any of that. I don't think a shitty ass Cool Ranch Dorito bowl game is too much to ask for. I don't have any connection whatsoever to Matt Rhule, so I'm fine saying a completely non respected bowl game this year should be the minimum. And to be quite honest, that should have always been Frost's minimum first year or two, or really any year. But, it wasn't because of who he is. I'm a hypocrite as a Nebraska fan lol is what it is. I'm also not about fair. People have expectations based on who they are and fairness isn't part of that equation in this business.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I define acceptable as "it didn't go so poorly that I have lost faith in Rhule as a head coach". To be candid, I think you're a crack fiend at this point if you put an "acceptable" win total on things.
I'm OK with this definition. I think a record can be applied to that definition unless you're not very gud at thinking smart thoughts.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Everyone should update their posts with this definition. I'll give you 8 minutes before making fun of you for a bad take.

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
armstrong and kellogg split snaps in 2013. Westerkamp was a freshman. the talent dropoff from Callahan’s classes to Bo’s was grand canyon-esque.

again we should be able to always win 6…

2022 - Don't kick it onside, get two stops against a triple option team running the air raid (GaSo)
2021 - Take your pick. Illinois doy-doy punt return, Michigan State, Cockeye collapses swing the other way
2020 - COVID year so 6 is a different proposition but the Northwestern, Cockeye, Minnesota games were all winnable with a few coaching tweaks.
2019 - Hold a lead against Colorado
2018 - Colorado and Troy should have been dubs.
2017 - Hire kyle whittingham when he asked for the job (lol)

Purely coaching.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't think anyone is calling for Rhule's head if he doesn't make a bowl this year. Lot of people would lose confidence he's the right guy if he doesn't though.

Although it would be disappointing for NU if they were to fail to make a bowl game, I do not think it would be fair to label such a result as categorically "unacceptable."

Should the team fail to qualify for a bowl game and people start to doubt Rhule's abilities after just one mere season, I would be forced to question the quality of their discernment, knowing what this roster is made of.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds