Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Who was most fucked? (1 Viewer)

Which coach started out with the worst roster?

• Pelini

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Riley

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Frost

Votes: 20 15.4%
  • Rhule

Votes: 97 74.6%
  • Callahan

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Rhule and Riley are 1a and 1b. Hard to tell with any type of certainty.

Last edited:

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member
I added him. Looking back on it, what Callahan was able to do with no portal, no year zero credit, and a 180 degree shift was pretty insane.
If he could have had the ability to snag a portal QB and a couple WRs, then he could have won a lot of games that first year.

doublewing

Running Back
I added him. Looking back on it, what Callahan was able to do with no portal, no year zero credit, and a 180 degree shift was pretty insane.
I think what made it worse for Callahan was about 40% roster and 60% change in philosophy.

NU had run the same offensive and defensive schemes for decades and recruited players that fit those schemes. Abruptly changing both of those spelled troubles, especially for the offense. Not only did it take time to adjust to the WCO, we didn't have the players for it.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I think what made it worse for Callahan was about 40% roster and 60% change in philosophy.

NU had run the same offensive and defensive schemes for decades and recruited players that fit those schemes. Abruptly changing both of those spelled troubles, especially for the offense. Not only did it take time to adjust to the WCO, we didn't have the players for it.
when Callahan took over we didn't even have the players to run Solich's dogshit offense, let alone anything resembling a modern passing offense. the skill players he inherited were collectively the worst in my lifetime

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
Where's Callahan on your list? Always heard he came into a tough situation but I didn't pay attention back then.
Hard to rank him. He obviously had a shit roster for what he wanted to do, but that's also kind of on him for trying to make such a dramatic shift. Defense in particular had a bunch of guys that ended up in the league though. And before his injury Herian was a beast.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member

That team flipped faster than you'd think. Still ended up ranked to finish the year. if LeKevin Smith doesn't fart away the Texas Tech game, that team goes to the title game.

doublewing

Running Back
when Callahan took over we didn't even have the players to run Solich's dogshit offense, let alone anything resembling a modern passing offense. the skill players he inherited were collectively the worst in my lifetime
They went 10-3 running Solich's offense in 2003. They were definitely not a fit for the WCO but 10-3 in comparison to the Callahan years wasn't bad.

That and defensively, Callahan inherited some players that went onto the NFL: Fabian Washington, LaKevin Smith, Barrett Ruud, Stewart Bradley, Titus Adams and the Bullock Bros.

NTXHusker

Linebacker
That team flipped faster than you'd think. Still ended up ranked to finish the year. if LeKevin Smith doesn't fart away the Texas Tech game, that team goes to the title game.
I will never, EVER forget being in the press box and Jon Scheutz just standing up and yelling "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?" followed by a gentle reminder that there is no cheering in the press box.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
They went 10-3 running Solich's offense in 2003. They were definitely not a fit for the WCO but 10-3 in comparison to the Callahan years wasn't bad.

That and defensively, Callahan inherited some players that went onto the NFL: Fabian Washington, LaKevin Smith, Barrett Ruud, Stewart Bradley, Titus Adams and the Bullock Bros.
the 2003 offense was about 90% Jamal Lord. without him the cupboard was bare the following year

mbuskirk5

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
Definitely Rhule, especially when you look at all the kids transferring out right now and how many top recruits left while Frost was coach.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
It’s funny how much bitching Frost did when he got here about the talent he had leftover, now it’s twice as bad for his replacement.
One of his biggest mistakes was basically alienating any player on the roster before he coached them in a single practice.

Any coach is going to clean house to some extent but to bag on all 85 guys...big mistake.

Mr.Bojangles

Offensive Lineman
Rhule doesn’t have a single OL or DL that would play for a Dll school.
I don't know if they're NAIA level. Riley left the cupboards pretty bare though. There's at least some talent on this team pending any stay and don't go to the NFL or transfer portal.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds