Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What would a salary cap in college football look like? (1 Viewer)

Skerz4Life50

Cornerback
Elite Member
Just for fun/discussion, especially after the SEC and B1G alliance last Friday, how would you structure the salary cap for college football? It is also making some news in college basketball with Rick Pitino saying there is a need for it, but for now, let's stick to football.

For some context, I am mainly just focusing on the SEC and B1G for this discussion, as those 2 conferences are the only ones guaranteed to keep surviving and are going to be making the most money. For the most recent payouts, the SEC paid out their member schools roughly $50 million, while the B1G paid out $60 million.

Using a similar model as the NFL, where it is a roughly 52/48 split from TV revenue, my initial thoughts were a 55/40/5 split. 55% to the school, 40% to the players, and 5% to insurance and retirement for the players. Now, since these two conferences have different payouts, this is going to see the B1G schools actually earning a larger amount, although with the new additions to both conferences, the payouts should eventually come closer together and may eventually be one single agreement like the NFL.

But, for now, since the SEC is paying out less, they would set the limits for the salary cap. Using the 55/40/5, the salary cap per school would be $20 million/school, and the insurance/retirement amount would be $2.5 million/school.

If we say a maximum roster size is 100 players (easy round number), that would give an average salary of $200K (there would also need to be a minimum roster size, and for that I will just say it stays at the current 85 scholarship limit). However, I would say the minimum salary would be something like $75K, which would be enough to cover the cost of tuition at any (or at least most) of the schools, plus some extra money. Using that base salary, there would then be $12.5 million to spread out over the remaining players (assuming a full 100 man roster).

Some of my other ideas/thoughts:
1. Contracts of 1-4 years
2. Eligibility still works the same (i.e. 4-5 years depending on redshirts with a few exceptions of extending - injuries)
3. Player still must remain in good standing at school. Failing to do so results in "fines". Minimum GPA and other academic requirements TBD.
4. Contracts can be renegotiated based on different criteria/provisions like the NFL (injuries - can allow player to retire but still collect money - but opens up a roster spot, faster/slower development, breaking rules, etc.)
5. By signing with a school, the player temporarily relinquishes their NIL rights to the school in order to not give any further incentives to choosing one school over another (i.e. one school can match a salary, but another has boosters willing to give larger amounts of money).
6. School breaking contract results in paying out the remaining contract (contracts guaranteed, unless broken by player) + loss of roster spot for the duration of that contract (cannot reallocate that base salary to other players - put into some "pool" for TBD use)
7. Player breaking contract results in forfeiting remaining contract money and losing 1 year of eligibility if transferring schools before contract expires.
a. New school that signs a player who broke a contract must pay prior school all previous money paid to that player + penalty fee TBD + loses 1 roster spot for the next class (cannot reallocate that base salary to other players - put into some "pool" for TBD use).

The schools would still obviously get the larger portion of the money as they would still have to pay coaches and staff, host events/games, renovations, player nutrition, recruiting, etc.

Thoughts?

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
In all seriousness, fuck the NCAA for allowing things to get a point where we are left with this mess.

The Big 10 and the SEC should just say “We’re going to start our own NCAA but with blackjack and hookers.”

lee_carvallo_12

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
In all seriousness, fuck the NCAA for allowing things to get a point where we are left with this mess.

The Big 10 and the SEC should just say “We’re going to start our own NCAA but with blackjack and hookers.”
and blow. mountains of blow.

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

I don’t think the Supreme Court gave the ncaa anything to work with but I also don’t think the ncaa has been a serious organization for decades

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Salary caps would only result in another brown paper bag handoff. Why follow the rules and pay the max that is allotted when you can also pay under the table?

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
My general thoughts is forget the new NCAA and keep the blackjack and hookers.

But seriously, I think anything that kills or grants NIL rights to a team is dead in the water. No pro team controls NIL and I wouldn't expect any college to be able to do something different. Besides differential incentives to play for teams is already wiped out by binding contacts, which solve a host of problems on the schools and players end of things.

As far as contracts go, I'd expect players and schools to generally want to limit earnings in the first few years with a big spike around the time players become draft eligible/final year before the draft. Probably some somewhat performative bonuses in deals like graduation bonuses. Could be bird rights type mechanisms built in after first contracts.

But like most sports, the union by and large represents the Nate Boerkirchers of the world, a dude who maybe plays a bit, could probably make a couple bucks hocking Runzas but isn't the guy who is driving anything by way of tv viewers or asses in the seats. That is to say, I don't really expect school "salaries" will get outrageous at least not until guys have been in college long enough to be proven commodities.

Finally, I'd be shocked if the players do better than 20% on the revenue share

Last edited:

11husker23

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
and blow. mountains of blow.
Metal Rage GIF by Better Noise Music

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Salary caps would only result in another brown paper bag handoff. Why follow the rules and pay the max that is allotted when you can also pay under the table?
The short answer is that schools grant a governing body subpoena power and/or contractual penalties for such a thing. I don't think there is a lot of brown bagging in pro sports and I think teams would get fucked pretty hard if it was ever discovered they were doing it.

Skerz4Life50

Cornerback
Elite Member
My general thoughts is forget the new NCAA and keep the blackjack and hookers.

But seriously, I think anything that kills or grants NIL rights to a team is dead in the water. No pro team controls NIL and I wouldn't expect any college to be able to do something different. Besides differential incentives to play for teams is already wiped out by binding contacts, which solve a host of problems on the schools and players end of things.

As far as contracts go, I'd expect players and schools to generally want to limit earnings in the first few years with a big spike around the time players become draft eligible/final year before the draft. Probably some somewhat performative bonuses in deals like graduation bonuses. Could be bird rights type mechanisms built in after first contes

But like most sports, the union by and large represents the Nate Boerkirchers of the world, a dude who maybe plays a bit, could probably make a couple bucks hocking Runzas but isn't the guy who is driving anything by way of tv viewers or asses in the seats. That is to say, I don't really expect school "salaries" will get outrageous at least not until guys have been in college long enough to be proven commodities.
This is a good point and probably true. I guess if you did have a true enforcement body with real power to actually penalize a school/player, then the tampering in recruitment may greatly decrease.

I don't really have a problem with NIL once the athlete is signed to a team. The issue, and where College Football is different than Pro sports is the recruitment. Pros get to draft players, so there really isn't any reason to tamper early on. College recruitment would be much more like free agency, but since the teams would have a salary cap, obviously there are going to be limits on those amounts. That is where the brown bagging would come in to play and could cause issues. But, if there was a governing body and they laid down harsh penalties for the first teams/players trying this approach, it may end it very quickly.

It would also be unfair to those players without NFL hopes to limit their earning potential, so I do think they should be able to earn. I would just want to keep that out of being an "incentive" to sign with a particular team, if possible.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
This is a good point and probably true. I guess if you did have a true enforcement body with real power to actually penalize a school/player, then the tampering in recruitment may greatly decrease.

I don't really have a problem with NIL once the athlete is signed to a team. The issue, and where College Football is different than Pro sports is the recruitment. Pros get to draft players, so there really isn't any reason to tamper early on. College recruitment would be much more like free agency, but since the teams would have a salary cap, obviously there are going to be limits on those amounts. That is where the brown bagging would come in to play and could cause issues. But, if there was a governing body and they laid down harsh penalties for the first teams/players trying this approach, it may end it very quickly.

It would also be unfair to those players without NFL hopes to limit their earning potential, so I do think they should be able to earn. I would just want to keep that out of being an "incentive" to sign with a particular team, if possible.
Given the demand for late career college players who are actually proven to be good, I'd suspect that any compensation that is set up will be pretty lucrative for guys with a limited NFL future but great college skills

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I like reading stuff like this because I genuinely have no idea what to expect. It's so bizarre to me! There isn't even a playoff system in place yet for 2026 for god's sake! I feel like this Big 10/SEC alliance is looking at the entire sport as a blank slate, and we might all be pretty shocked at what the final product looks like by the time all is said and done. Shocked in a good way or bad way? I have no clue.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I like reading stuff like this because I genuinely have no idea what to expect. It's so bizarre to me! There isn't even a playoff system in place yet for 2026 for god's sake! I feel like this Big 10/SEC alliance is looking at the entire sport as a blank slate, and we might all be pretty shocked at what the final product looks like by the time all is said and done. Shocked in a good way or bad way? I have no clue.
It'll be interesting to see if the "new model" is actually a new model or if it's the same carnival with a new carnival barker

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Just follow the money. Whatever is most profitable will be the one option that ends up happening.
Yeah my worry/assumption is that the people at the top of the food chain are going to view this as the big chance to sever any and all ties with whatever goofy traditions and idiosyncrasies of the sport that stood in the way of even more money over the years, and it will basically end up being the first major sports league that is intentionally created to be a TV product.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Regarding money, I think there have been several events that necessitated the Big Ten/SEC move to maybe rethink the whole system.

1. Hafley leaving for an NFL coordinator job/Chip Kelly eye fucking every pro oc job that moves. I think it's a pretty clear signal that it just sucks to be a college coach right now. You recruit, you build, you develop, but ultimately you have no control over your roster. It's a 365 day a year a job and if college HC is on par with an NFL OC job nowadays, there are now 96 potential openings an offseason for the pros to plunder anyone worth a shit from the college ranks.

2. The Destruction of Alabama. Bama was the King of College Football under Saban. It was the model of stability that everyone aspired to. Players didn't opt out of bowl games, dudes got paid and then drafted, they were must see TV and the cherry on top was that Bama's enrollment boomed under Lord Saban and yet the rock of college football crumbled into dust when the man retired. In a single offseason, you had two playoff teams torn down to the studs. And if it can happen to Bama, every AD and university president in America with a football program sees that their multimillion dollar investments are built on sand. And if that's not a reason to look at the system as it exists in its entirety, idk what is

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
Regarding money, I think there have been several events that necessitated the Big Ten/SEC move to maybe rethink the whole system.

1. Hafley leaving for an NFL coordinator job/Chip Kelly eye fucking every pro oc job that moves. I think it's a pretty clear signal that it just sucks to be a college coach right now. You recruit, you build, you develop, but ultimately you have no control over your roster. It's a 365 day a year a job and if college HC is on par with an NFL OC job nowadays, there are now 96 potential openings an offseason for the pros to plunder anyone worth a shit from the college ranks.

2. The Destruction of Alabama. Bama was the King of College Football under Saban. It was the model of stability that everyone aspired to. Players didn't opt out of bowl games, dudes got paid and then drafted, they were must see TV and the cherry on top was that Bama's enrollment boomed under Lord Saban and yet the rock of college football crumbled into dust when the man retired. In a single offseason, you had two playoff teams torn down to the studs. And if it can happen to Bama, every AD and university president in America with a football program sees that their multimillion dollar investments are built on sand. And if that's not a reason to look at the system as it exists in its entirety, idk what is
It’s almost like turning NIL into the modern day Wild West was a bad idea.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG

It’s almost like turning NIL into the modern day Wild West was a bad idea.
Damn, well said. In a way I feel kinda zen about the entire thing at this point. College football as it existed is over, there is literally no going back to what it was, and it is inevitable that it will end up being some sort of semi-pro league, with new norms and rules and concepts that would be unrecognizable to us now. It is what it is. I'm sure I'll still find plenty of enjoyment out of it, but by now I've accepted that it's about to become an entirely different thing.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds