Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What FSU, Oregon, Washington, Clemson, NC, Miami & ND Saying about Conference Realignment? (1 Viewer)

Florida State

• 8/1 MORNING UPDATE (new target for the B1G?) - ACC-FSU Rumblings and this week's Board of Trustees meeting
  • It's been relatively quiet the last 24 hours. The one thing of interest that has come my way is that North Carolina's status is a major focus right now.
  • BOT Chair Peter Collins on Florida State's future: 'I feel really good about our prospects'
  • BoT Chair Peter Collins: Grant of Rights won't stop FSU
  • I feel like at one point the ACC could’ve been where the B1G is now..
  • If they would’ve rode our success in the late 90’s and early 00’s. But they wanted to be a basketball and academic conference. Now they’re closer than ever to getting there.
  • The ACC & Notre Dame
  • Why does the ACC constantly “throw a bone” to Notre Dame? They obviously do not care about the ACC but we let them have a home for every sport but football! During COVID, they would have been dead...
  • FSU to the B1G would be...
  • Both extremely exciting (because of the exit from the ACC) and extremely disappointing. I'm shocked at how many of our plans actually have a preference for going to the BIG instead of the SEC...
  • It just means more…. in the B1G
  • B1G can play checkmate here if they can land the NW schools, FSU, Clemson, Miami and Notre Dame. Not even including FSU, which for a 3 decade period (1987-2016) had more wins than any program...
  • One of my best friends is a BOT member at Norte Dame. Super connected on athletics. He says Big 10 has a forever invite for ND but also says FSU and Miami are the targets to balance USC and...
  • Miami offers absolutely nothing to the BIG10 or SEC
  • Small school… small booster base
  • Terrible fan support… no on campus stadium…They haven’t been relevant for 20 years. Their TV ratings are terrible.
  • I’m coming to terms with it…
  • It sure feels like we are headed to the B1G. I’d much rather see us in the SEC for a lot of reasons. But the BIG is an acceptable second place landing spot. Their money will last a while

Oregon

• Who's next to take the realignment leap? Latest intel after Colorado jumps to the Big 12
  • The Pac-12 needs at least one new member and so does the Big 12, and it appears the Big 12 is not done picking at the bones of the Pac-12. Meanwhile, the ACC and Big Ten's eyes have reopened after Colorado's move to the Big 12.
  • ACC might expand by taking more garbage teams. lol, what a dumpster fire this conference is.
  • Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Cal., Utah, ASU and Arizona should apply to the ACC as a new 7 team Pacific Division, giving the ACC three divisions of 7 teams who could play 6 divisional games and 3 or more cross divisional games. The added travel would not be too bad.
  • WVU isn’t leaving a stable Big 12 to jump to the ACC to watch the Big 10 and SEC pick it apart down the road.
  • A hard no to the ACC. We are in a stable conference and making good money.
  • get me out this damn conference already
  • There’s the dinner table & then theres the kids table. . . Everyone not in the B1G or SEC is at the latter.
  • The idea of PAC 12 fans having this idea that the ACC is some superior conference over the BIG 12, especially when Florida State and Clemson inevitably bolt to the SEC, is laughible to me.
  • We are f*cked…it’s been a fun ride

Clemson

• OH NO, THE ACC IS GOING TO DIE!
  • I call dibs on digging the grave and no I don't need no help.
  • I understand the need to move but I won't celebrate leaving the only home I have known my team to have.
  • Splitting playoff money with conference mates who did nothing to reach the playoffs finished my feelings of favor for the ACC.
  • The last five or so years I have hoped the ACC would die a cruel death burning in a fire after Clemson realized what I believed I knew for a while now.
  • I understand the sentiment given how Clemson has been treated over the years, I would prefer the ACC over the other options assuming we had a competitive financial situation and could add a couple of elite teams. Aligning with the yankees of the BIG or the mouth breathing rabble of the SEC will have its drawbacks as well. You can't always get what you want now, but you get what you need....
  • It's already dead. Just on life support waiting for plug to be pulled.
  • Hopefully BIG 10 can add UNC and GT
  • I know money talks but if true the travel for fans will be insane!
  • I do like the idea of playing Michigan, Ohio St, UCLA, The Real USC and Wisconsin. Talk about big boy football.
  • I hope UNCheat gets left out in the cold with their redneck brethren Nancy Tate. Now THAT is what I call karma.
  • UNC to SEC. Done deal.

Washington

• Incompetent f**ks!
  • I feel like someone fucked my wife and then I made them a gourmet breakfast and lent them my car to get back home. Did no one and the PAC offices know what fucking scenario they were in? Bunch of incompetent syphilitic ferrets rutting around in medical waste.
  • We allegedly made a promise to WSU not to leave the conference without them. I do not know this to be true. It's a "What I'm hearing".
  • The regents who would vote on a move have a responsibility to place UW where they can best tend to the stadium debt and they will want to go where they consider their peers are which will be Michigan and UCLA in their minds, not Utah State, Oklahoma State, etc.
  • Showing more loyalty to WSU than the University of California-Los Angeles showed to the University of California-Berkeley would be the most Losers Lose UW thing to do.
  • Which means it’s going to happen..
  • Do you have faith in Pac-9 Commish George Kalashnikov? (93% said no)
  • I have faith he will hit the iceberg.
  • If we want to start the blame game I knew this was coming when they hired that malignant, cancerous idiot Larry Scott (who was completely useless and even worse spent a ton of money on himself while fucking the conf).
  • SDSU and Colorado are basically the same thing as far as dollars and eyes. SDSU is a better AD.
  • WA and OR looking at the BIG…NO! Hell NO…
  • USC and UCLA is now leaving…but with the right leadership and support, could come back to the PAC.
  • As the US dollar continues to deteriorate, flying your tennis and golf teams from LA to East Lansing or New Jersey repeatedly will be seen as a liability
  • Have Pac-12 teams been denied entry to the Big Ten?
  • The Big 10 is seriously still under a delusion that they’ll get Notre Dame? Jesus, the Big Ten just uses every reason on the planet to reject us. Meanwhile, they accept schools like Rutgers and Maryland as soon as they apply.

North Carolina

• What could the ACC do to survive?
  • Hate to say it but the ACC as we know it is a dead man walking.
  • I say just let the ACC die and pray UNC jumps ship beforehand
  • I'm hoping UNC will go to the SEC
  • B1G more coming for FSU
  • FSU can piss and moan all they want, they aren't going anywhere in the next 5-10 years
  • Looking VERY probable that FSU is gone
  • UNC is the best value for both the SEC and Big. FSU is really BowdenSU. Nothing before, much of nothing since...
  • The "Mega Conference" era will collapse well before the ACC's GoR expires.
  • SEC and B1G both projectrd to pay out 75 million in 25 and 100 million by 2028.
  • Big Ten adding 4: Clemson, FSU, Oregon, Wash?
  • I want UNC and UVA in the SEC but most of what I read on this board had the fans/alumni at about 50/50.
  • Why would the Big 10 add a non AAU school? That is important to them and they could achieve that by adding Miami.
  • Every sports site you read, FSU and Clemson want out of the ACC.
  • If you believe the rumors, FSU has negotiated a deal where they will pay the ACC only $30M a year for ten years.
  • I don't see how this is possible, not without ending the ACC. The GOR means that if Clemson plays in the Big 10, the broadcast rights belong to the ACC for all of their games.
  • Lol. You guys are believing the BS. You really think FSU and/or Clemson is going to the B10? Does the Big10 know about this?Hahaha.
  • Cal & Oregon fans said the same when USC/UCLA were rumored to leave for the B1G

Miami

• Look, anybody who didn’t see this coming even before today is completely blind. But after USC and UCLA bolt, it’s definite. The ACC is dead.
  • It’s time to join the SEC.
  • its b10 not SEC
  • Yes I think so too B10. Us, ND, Clemson and FSU probably.
  • We better ******* win the ACC this year then. It’ll be straight up embarrassing never to win a title in this **** league
  • I couldn't smoke enough meth to get my IQ low enough to fit in the SEC.
  • You have to wait for the ACC to disband, Miami can’t just leave like USC. ACC owns the rights till 2035!
  • Selfishly, sec would be funner but I think the big10 is probably the better fit? I dunno
  • Are USC and UCLA to the B1G? What do Westwood and Cockeye City have in common? It’s business now. There’s no tradition or geographical alignment. It’s professional sports.
  • The Big 10 has standards that the SEC doesn't. I'd say USC and UCLA have more in common with University of Michigan and Ohio State than we do with Vandy and UGA.
  • Oregon Washington Miami FSU Clemson UNC and ND turn it into the ultimate mega conference which overcomes the SEC in athletics as well as academics.
  • I don’t think Miami has any intention of trying to make a move in the near future.
  • It's incredibly wishful thinking. FSU and Clemson will wind up in the SEC.

Notre Dame

• BIG 10 looking to add 4 schools
  • If true, this will put an extreme amount of pressure on Notre Dame, with the ACC unraveling.
  • I DO think it would make more sense for these teams to go to Big10. The sec is very protective of rivals ... SC and Florida don't wanna share their state and have made it known.
  • I don't believe Jack Swarbick or Pete Bevacqua feel near the level of pressure to fully join the Big 10, or any conference for that matter, that you infer.
  • Clemson and FSU best move would be to personally try and get ND to join full time to the ACC. If the ACC can get Irish football to join full time that solves all there problems.
  • Big ten hates us for turning them down. Stay away from those nd haters
  • 20 years ago I would have said not a chance 2 southern schools go to the BIG 10. But these days, money rules Supreme, as we've seen multiple schools move to a conference when both geography and competitiveness-wise doesn't make sense.
  • If Clemson leaves the ACC it will be for the SEC. Everyone assumes that Florida State felt the same way. Is FSU going to deny this at all?

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
B1G needs to announce taking one ACC school, tell ND they have a week to decide, and then take the last three schools on that decision.

And if ND is out, tell them no more games with the B1G schools on a regular schedule.

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
  • I feel like someone fucked my wife and then I made them a gourmet breakfast and lent them my car to get back home. Did no one and the PAC offices know what fucking scenario they were in? Bunch of incompetent syphilitic ferrets rutting around in medical waste.
laughing-michael-jordan.gif

Alum-Ni

Quarterback
Stats Guy

Florida State Board of Trustees threaten to leave ACC over media revenue imbalance
by Nicole Auerbach, The Athletic

After months of inflammatory language and complaints about the ACC's revenue distributions, Florida State University's leadership finally made a not-so-veiled threat to the conference of which it has been a member since 1991.

"I believe that FSU will have to, at some point, consider very seriously leaving the ACC -- unless there were a radical change to the revenue distribution," FSU president Rick McCullough said at a meeting of the Seminoles' Board of Trustees on Wednesday.

McCullough said that Florida State will fall behind its peers in the Big Ten and SEC by as much as $30 million per year by the end of those leagues' current media deals, and that it frustrated him because "we are one of the best media-valued teams in the United States."

"We, along with Clemson and others, help to carry the value of media rights in the ACC," McCullough continued. "No offense to my colleagues. That's just the numbers."

He called the situation an "existential crisis" for Florida State and encouraged the ongoing exploration of other options. The trustees seemed to agree wholeheartedly, with several offering concurring statements.

"It's not a matter of if we leave (the ACC) in my opinion," said former FSU quarterback and trustee Drew Weatherford. "It's a matter of how and when we leave. Not everyone may agree with that, but I feel really strongly about it."

Trustee Justin Roth called for FSU to make and execute an exit plan to get out of the ACC in the next 12 months. He likened staying in the ACC to "death by 1,000 cuts.....every cut is a $30 million cut." Roth also said that when the next media deal came around, the ACC "will be a third-rate conference."

The Seminoles would need to give the ACC notice of its departure by Aug. 15 to be able to exit the following summer. If FSU were to give notice by next August, it could compete in another league beginning in the fall of 2025.

But FSU does not have an invitation to the Big Ten or SEC in hand. It would also have to pay a great deal of money in an exit fee to the ACC, as well as whatever the cost of breaking the ACC"s grant of rights would be, an unknown at this point. Otherwise, the ACC would own the rights to FSU home games.

Would FSU give notice to leave the ACC without locking in its landing spot? It's possible. FSU's board did not vote on anything, but the trustees did suggest they would support the idea of the school betting on itself, even if it didn't know where it would land when it jumped.

"We have to believe in ourselves and what we have, if this is a game of chicken," said trustee Deborah Sargeant.

Despite the urgency in the tone and language used in Wednesday's meeting, there was no formal vote or action taken by the trustees. They and athletic director Michael Alford have talked a big game in recent months, but they have not pulled any plugs just yet.

As trustee Bob Sasser put it, "We've been talking about this for a year, and we haven't made any progress."

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

Florida State Board of Trustees threaten to leave ACC over media revenue imbalance
by Nicole Auerbach, The Athletic

After months of inflammatory language and complaints about the ACC's revenue distributions, Florida State University's leadership finally made a not-so-veiled threat to the conference of which it has been a member since 1991.

"I believe that FSU will have to, at some point, consider very seriously leaving the ACC -- unless there were a radical change to the revenue distribution," FSU president Rick McCullough said at a meeting of the Seminoles' Board of Trustees on Wednesday.

McCullough said that Florida State will fall behind its peers in the Big Ten and SEC by as much as $30 million per year by the end of those leagues' current media deals, and that it frustrated him because "we are one of the best media-valued teams in the United States."

"We, along with Clemson and others, help to carry the value of media rights in the ACC," McCullough continued. "No offense to my colleagues. That's just the numbers."

He called the situation an "existential crisis" for Florida State and encouraged the ongoing exploration of other options. The trustees seemed to agree wholeheartedly, with several offering concurring statements.

"It's not a matter of if we leave (the ACC) in my opinion," said former FSU quarterback and trustee Drew Weatherford. "It's a matter of how and when we leave. Not everyone may agree with that, but I feel really strongly about it."

Trustee Justin Roth called for FSU to make and execute an exit plan to get out of the ACC in the next 12 months. He likened staying in the ACC to "death by 1,000 cuts.....every cut is a $30 million cut." Roth also said that when the next media deal came around, the ACC "will be a third-rate conference."

The Seminoles would need to give the ACC notice of its departure by Aug. 15 to be able to exit the following summer. If FSU were to give notice by next August, it could compete in another league beginning in the fall of 2025.

But FSU does not have an invitation to the Big Ten or SEC in hand. It would also have to pay a great deal of money in an exit fee to the ACC, as well as whatever the cost of breaking the ACC"s grant of rights would be, an unknown at this point. Otherwise, the ACC would own the rights to FSU home games.

Would FSU give notice to leave the ACC without locking in its landing spot? It's possible. FSU's board did not vote on anything, but the trustees did suggest they would support the idea of the school betting on itself, even if it didn't know where it would land when it jumped.

"We have to believe in ourselves and what we have, if this is a game of chicken," said trustee Deborah Sargeant.

Despite the urgency in the tone and language used in Wednesday's meeting, there was no formal vote or action taken by the trustees. They and athletic director Michael Alford have talked a big game in recent months, but they have not pulled any plugs just yet.

As trustee Bob Sasser put it, "We've been talking about this for a year, and we haven't made any progress."
sounds like no announcement to leave by 8/15/23 and they are setting the table to force negotiations to announce something a year from now - if they have to. ACC likely to be running as usual around another year at least. It seems reasonable to believe the cost of getting rid of the GOR will go down over time.

The B1G still has to decide what to do in the interim if/when the Pac 12 collapses, and I think that in doing this they have to assume the ACC won't happen in the foreseeable future. It will happen faster if the B1G only does things that increase per school shares; i.e., no dilutive member acquisitions. This will require a really low share for any Pac 10 adds for a while - but they have no leverage as they have no option.

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
This got my dick hard (sort of homo). I'd love to have Notre Dame in the B1G, but at the same time....
Why Cause GIF - Why Cause Fuck - Discover & Share GIFs
I married into a Golden Domer family. When I talked about the fact that ND needed to join a conference due to the current landscape they - to a person - scoffed.

Them: “We don’t need the money”

Me: “Ok, so when can I start expecting massive donations to student scholarship foundations and/or Catholic charities ?”

Fuck Notre Dame.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I have to think that what FSU is doing is threatening the other schools in order to optimize the high-success incentive:

The best thing for FSU and Clemson right now is not to blow up the ACC but to get paid roughly what B1G and SEC teams make by the ACC and make the lesser contributors eat their pay increase. That's a lot better than agreeing to pay $300M.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I married into a Golden Domer family. When I talked about the fact that ND needed to join a conference due to the current landscape they - to a person - scoffed.

Them: “We don’t need the money”

Me: “Ok, so when can I start expecting massive donations to student scholarship foundations and/or Catholic charities ?

Fuck Notre Dame.
iu

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I have to think that what FSU is doing is threatening the other schools in order to optimize the high-success incentive:

The best thing for FSU and Clemson right now is not to blow up the ACC but to get paid roughly what B1G and SEC teams make by the ACC and make the lesser contributors eat their pay increase. That's a lot better than agreeing to pay $300M.
Good point. Also think they could be trying to scare ESPN. If ESPN thinks there is some chance they are going to lose a cheap FSU and Clemson to Fox, they could potentially offer more money, or even let them walk to the SEC, where ESPN would still control their TV.

Alum-Ni

Quarterback
Stats Guy
I've read FSU plans to possibly challenge the ACC GOR by alleging that they were promised the per-school revenue distributions would be "competitive" with the other Power 5 leagues. Since they are woefully behind, FSU will argue they were deceived and that the GOR is therefore not enforceable.

Chi7397

Cornerback
Elite Member
I've read FSU plans to possibly challenge the ACC GOR by alleging that they were promised the per-school revenue distributions would be "competitive" with the other Power 5 leagues. Since they are woefully behind, FSU will argue they were deceived and that the GOR is therefore not enforceable.

They definitely may argue this, but that’s an exceedingly hard claim to succeed on.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds