Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What does the 2025 Roster look like? (1 Viewer)

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I pieced together the fall 2025 roster as it may shed some light on where we are likely to be in year and what the Class of 2025 needs.

Caveats-
  • RS are included in their "new" class; I have not attempted to project future red shirts
  • Obviously, I have no idea who will transfer out or otherwise leave, or who may transfer in
  • Scholarship athletes in regular typeface, walk-ons in italics.

Things that pop out to me -
  1. they are probably counting on some of the 2023 walk-ons at LB to contribute a fair amount - the walk-ons look good on paper, and we'll need them to be.
  2. The numbers at DB (especially with Amare Sanders now CB'd to Nebraska) and LB in the 2024 class suggest at least a couple '24 DBs will land at LB. Also suggests we really need Jacob Smith in the 2024 class.
  3. The 2025 class will have to have more than an average number of DBs and LBs.
What are your thoughts?

Please let me know if you think I have any errors or omissions
POSFr (2025s)Soph (2024s)Jr (2023s + RS2022s)Sr (2022s + RS 2021s)
QBDaniel KaelinLuke LongvalHenrich Haarberg
Jack WocheChubba Purdy
RBKewan LacyEmmett JohnsonGabe Ervin
Kwinten IvesTrevin Luben
Cole Ballard
Gage Wager
FBIzaac DickeyLanson TernusCaden Becker
Trevor Ruth
WRDae'vonn HallMalachi ColemanZavier Betts
Jacory BarneyJaidyn DossTy Hahn
Isaiah McMorrisBrice TurnerBarron Miles Jr
Quinn ClarkJaylen LloydElliott Brown
Jeremiah ChrlesTaveon Thompson
Demetrius BellAlex Bullock
Cooper Hausman
Roman Mangini
TECarter NelsonChase AndroffThomas Fidone
Ian FlyntJack ApplegetArik Gilbert
Keelan SmithJaniran BonnerNate Boerkircher
Ishmael Smith FloresCaden Becker
Luke Lindenmeyer
Cayden Echternach
OLGibson PyleJustin JenkinsHenry Lutovsky
Landen DavidsonJacob HoodTeddy Prochazka
Jake PetersTyler KnaakBraden Klover
Gunnar GottulaJoey Mancino
Brock KnutsonKeegan Menning
Sam Sledge
Mason Goldman
David Borchers
Grant Seagren
Dylan Parrott
DLTyson TerryCarlon JonesBrodie TagaloaRu'Quan Buckley
Ashton MurphyVincent Carroll-JacksonBlaise Gunnerson
Riley Van PoppelElijah Jeudy
Cameron LenhardtKai Wallin
Sua LefotuAJ Rollins
Jason MaciejczakJames Williams
Prince Umanmielen
Leslie Black
Conor Connealy
LBWillis McGaheeEric FieldsSeth Malcom
Dylan RogersRandolp Kpai
Maverick NoonnanMikai Gbayor
Korver DemmaJimari Butler
Noah BustardChief Borders
Danny PaskoKaine Williams
Jacob BowerGrant Buda
DBCaden VerMaasRoger GradneyDwight Bootle IITamon Lynum
Mario BufordSyncere SafeeulahMalclm Hartzog
Evan TaylorEthan NationKoby Bretz
Braylen PrudeGage StengerCorey Collier
Rex GuthrieRahmir StewartAshton Hausmann
Callen BartaCooper WilsonBlake Closman
Donovan JonesMason Blankenship JonesDerek Branch
D'Andre Barnes
STKamdyn KochTristan AlvanoCamden Witucki
Nico OttomanelliWill DePooter

Last edited:

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
That OL group?

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
One thing to keep in mind - I can't forecast transfers. But if I counted right, there are 79 scholarships on this table for soph-sr years. That leaves 6 for the 2025 class. Obviously, that won't happen, I am assuming they will want steady state in the low 20s. But that means 15 of the scholarship guys you see in junior and senior year (guessing they don't process a lot of guys after freshman year) have to be gone by fall, 2025 as well.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I posted this in the July recruiting thread but it's also relevant here

These are the guys we seem to be pursuing at present (July 4, 2023) based on what is in the public domain

Targets of Current Focus
Grant Brix - OL6-6, 290
Jacob Smith - LB/Edge6-4, 225
Amare Sanders - DB6-2, 187
Preston Taumua - OL6-3.5, 300
Others
Nuku Mafi - OL/DL6-5, 285
Semisi Tonga - OL6-4, 310
Devoux Tuataga - Edge6-5.5, 230
Jayshawn Ross - Edge/LB6-3, 220
Brayden Platt - LB6-1, 220
Take No Matter What - NOT IN THE 27
Caden Durham - RB5-9 195
Gatlin Bair - WR6-2 180doesn't impact current class numbers

I'm now thinking we plan to take 27. That means that they anticipate that at least 20 of the guys they have with 3 or 4 years of eligibility this fall will be gone by the fall of 2025 (so they can recruit a "normal" 2025 class). Of course, about have of the guys that have 3/4 years eligibility are guys they recruited. in the class of 2023.

I think they are looking at 5 OL, and Sanders is the 8th DB - although to me, this likely means 1-2 of the current DBs are going start as LBs. 5 OLs and 6 DBs in this class is consistent with what they need to have the right scholarship numbers total in each group (18 or so).

Looking at it this way, Mafi and Tonga are plans B & C, respectively, after Brix/Taumua.

Ross, Tuataga, and Platt are likely the Plan Bs for Smith and Sanders (i.e., if they don't get Sanders, they move 1 DB to LB and recruit a second LB)

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
Good stuff @Carm . I was wondering if there is a rule that prevents us from letting a kid go NIL day one instead of scholly. I recall you saying that the only way to transfer from scholarship to NIL is if they are post graduate. But I’m wondering if some of our players are getting their tuition covered through NIL in the ’24 class, and since we don’t need to be public about the specifics it doesn’t make anyone look any worse off.

Also, do walk-ons sign LOIs? Not sure if there is any benefit to the player having never signed an LOI and getting his tuition funded through NIL.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Good stuff @Carm . I was wondering if there is a rule that prevents us from letting a kid go NIL day one instead of scholly. I recall you saying that the only way to transfer from scholarship to NIL is if they are post graduate. But I’m wondering if some of our players are getting their tuition covered through NIL in the ’24 class, and since we don’t need to be public about the specifics it doesn’t make anyone look any worse off.

Also, do walk-ons sign LOIs? Not sure if there is any benefit to the player having never signed an LOI and getting his tuition funded through NIL.
Walk-ons do not sign letters of intent. A letter of intent is effectively a contract of sorts in which the player agrees to attend in return for a scholarship.

1689430339492.png
A player could walk-on instead of signing a scholarship in theory but there are practical difficulties

1. The school doesn't know the player is really there until they enroll
2. The player is guaranteed a 4/5 scholarship if they take the scholarship. They could just be cut from the team at any time if they walk on, for any reason (poor performance, injury, etc.)
3. The NIL cannot (in theory at least) be offered as an inducement to attend the school. There is no way to iron-clad guarantee the amount of NIL. E.g., even if an amount was put forth, how does the collective know it will be able to get the funds in the future with certainty.

If I was the player, I'd be happy with NIL for a final year of eligibility, but I would never agree to take NIL in lieu of scholarship as a freshman.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Walk-ons do not sign letters of intent. A letter of intent is effectively a contract of sorts in which the player agrees to attend in return for a scholarship.

View attachment 24876
A player could walk-on instead of signing a scholarship in theory but there are practical difficulties

1. The school doesn't know the player is really there until they enroll
2. The player is guaranteed a 4/5 scholarship if they take the scholarship. They could just be cut from the team at any time if they walk on, for any reason (poor performance, injury, etc.)
3. The NIL cannot (in theory at least) be offered as an inducement to attend the school. There is no way to iron-clad guarantee the amount of NIL. E.g., even if an amount was put forth, how does the collective know it will be able to get the funds in the future with certainty.

If I was the player, I'd be happy with NIL for a final year of eligibility, but I would never agree to take NIL in lieu of scholarship as a freshman.
I wonder if NIL has changed how many players take summer classes? before most would take 1 class each session so they could get scholarship money during the summer, which meant most had no problem graduating in 4 years or less. now with NIL I wonder if some don't need to do that in the summer?

I can definitely see risk in having a HS recruit walk on with NIL rather than a scholarship since they could be poached by other schools much easier. however we should be able to transition a majority of 4th year guys to walk-on/NIL deals

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I wonder if NIL has changed how many players take summer classes? before most would take 1 class each session so they could get scholarship money during the summer, which meant most had no problem graduating in 4 years or less. now with NIL I wonder if some don't need to do that in the summer?

I can definitely see risk in having a HS recruit walk on with NIL rather than a scholarship since they could be poached by other schools much easier. however we should be able to transition a majority of 4th year guys to walk-on/NIL deals
You can't transition guys until the 4/5-year scholarship is fulfilled. In other words, if a guy redshirts, he is entitled to 5 years regardless of when he graduates.

The reason we see this now is that they gave everyone an extra year for Covid in 2020 without lengthening the schollie commitment. That means guys in their 6th year can be given a scholarship but are not entitled to one. This NIL-in-lieu-of scholarship gambit should go away once all the guys who were around for 2020 are gone.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
This NIL-in-lieu-of scholarship gambit should go away once all the guys who were around for 2020 are gone.
I hope not. if that loophole allows us to bring in more numbers we need to exploit it as much as possible

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds