Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What credit card do you use for rewards? (1 Viewer)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Looking into getting a new CC to pay for travel expenses (hotel/gas/food). I currently use a Citi Double Cash card. Surely there's a better option for rewards. Any suggestions?

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
Looking into getting a new CC to pay for travel expenses (hotel/gas/food). I currently use a Citi Double Cash card. Surely there's a better option for rewards. Any suggestions?
Recently got a Chase Freedom Unlimited VISA AND a Costco VISA. Got rid of four other cards.......

HCFord1

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
560 annual fee 😱

Does it come with a hooker?
If you travel a good amount it’s the tits. $300 annual travel credit, which essentially knocks it down to $260. It also will pay for tsa pre-check or global entry. Then you get 3x points on any travel spend and your points can be redeemed at 1.5x normal value for booking travel (which basically means you earn 4.5% if you spend on travel and redeem on travel). I use it for all of my work travel and it accumulates quickly. Paid for a decent chunk of my honeymoon with points.

You also now get Lyft benefits like upgraded rides and higher rated drivers, plus for a while they were doing like 10x points on Lyft rides or something. Then you also get DoorDash Dash Pass which gets you free delivery and cuts down on their fees for each order.

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
This is what I’ve had for about a year. For what it’s worth, my best friend who is a banker and researches things to an absolutely insane degree before pulling the trigger, also uses it.

I let him waste his time doing the research on stuff and then follow his lead. I’m taking he will research TVs for months before making a decision—a bit neurotic.

#HBD

Safety
Elite Member
I use the Barclay AAdvatage Silver card. It’s all about what you’re looking to accomplish. Triple miles for AA purchases, double for hotel & rental car purchases. I rack up at least $2K in airlines miles per year plus they give me a couple companion passes per year. For someone who specifically wants AA miles as their reward, it’s the best card. Now, I haven’t traveled for work in a year so I may need to rethink it, but I put every cent on my card. Stupid not to run your finances in that manner, IMHO.

Last edited:

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
If you travel a good amount it’s the tits. $300 annual travel credit, which essentially knocks it down to $260. It also will pay for tsa pre-check or global entry. Then you get 3x points on any travel spend and your points can be redeemed at 1.5x normal value for booking travel (which basically means you earn 4.5% if you spend on travel and redeem on travel). I use it for all of my work travel and it accumulates quickly. Paid for a decent chunk of my honeymoon with points.

You also now get Lyft benefits like upgraded rides and higher rated drivers, plus for a while they were doing like 10x points on Lyft rides or something. Then you also get DoorDash Dash Pass which gets you free delivery and cuts down on their fees for each order.
So yes to the hooker?

JankTheTank

Linebacker
Elite Member
I would look at your monthly and annual budget and see how a few different cards would reward your spending habits.

I also use the Citi Double Cash. It was between that and a card that paid back a higher percentage on rotating categories. But the base percentage guaranteed back was lower than Citi’s 2% everything. I went full Rain Man on a couple of different scenarios and the cards didn’t really separate themselves based on how I spent my money. The other card also potentially had cash back dips based on my normal spending categories. Went with Citi for the peace of mind that I would not get screwed if the categories switched to areas I don’t spend much in.

But that’s just me. If I traveled a lot, I would for sure look at a travel card. Pick a few that intrigue you and see how they would reward you if you used it last month. Or last summer.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds