Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What are the best Western movies? (1 Viewer)

huskermack

Offensive
Elite Member
tPB OG
High Plains Drifter
You’re going to look awfully silly with that knife stuck up your ass.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Anything late at night on GRIT TV. I've watched a metric shyte ton of old westerns on there, mostly cast with actors whose names few on this board would recognize.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Anything late at night on GRIT TV. I've watched a metric shyte ton of old westerns on there, mostly cast with actors whose names few on this board would recognize.
I'm quoting myself to expand on some of these classic western actors. For you "less seasoned" folks on the board, these cats helped make Hollywood and "the movies" in general.

Marion Mitchell Morrison - Most know him as John Wayne
Randolph Scott - WWI veteran whose career spanned 5 decades
Gary Cooper - classic leading man
Robert Taylor - another great leading man
James Coburn - couldn't sing a lick in "Paint Your Wagon" with Clint Eastwood and Shirley Maclaine, but his characters were just that: characters
Gene Autrey - the original singing cowboy
Burt Lancaster - talented actor
Hugh O'Brian - fun fact: met him while serving as a chauffer for the "Freedom Train" when it came to Omaha in 1976. HS DECA project. No shit.
Jason Robards - booze got him at the end, but he was in a lot of great old westerns
Dale Robertson - "The Tales of Wells Fargo" leading man
Yul Brynner - more westerns than other genres, but mainly remembered for "The King and I". Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera ...
Lee Van Cleef - born to be "the bad guy", he had an amazing career until cancer took him. Fucking cigarettes,
Glenn Ford - another WWII vet that went on to have a great career in films
Gregory Peck - most know him from "To Kill a Mockingbird", but he was in a lot of westerns
Roy Rogers & his wife, Dale Evans - fun fact: my first dog was the grandson of Bullet, RR's on-screen dog
Audie Murphy - more than the most decorated WWII hero and owner of the Los Angeles Angels
Walter Brennan - rarely a leading man, but always an interesting screen presence
Forrest Tucker - like Walter Brennan above, rarely a leading man and usually in a US Army Calvary uniform, but he was in a ton of movies
Ben Johnson - you'll know him the second you see him
Jack Elam - made that wonky eye famous
Rory Calhoun - another B&W movie star
Eli Wallach - interesting career, but he's in a lot more old westerns than you think he would be
Charles Bronson - yes, he got his start in westerns
Jimmy Stewart - always one of the good guys
Omaha's own Henry Fonda - rarely played a good guy, but man he had presence on the screen. Steely blue eyes and a penchant for evil.

Anyways, by now you get the idea. Tons of great actors that either got their start in westerns or were made famous by the genre. And we haven't even touched on some of the famous women that appears in those shows (e.g. Claudia Cardinale ...).

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The Missing is one I haven’t seen listed yet. Tommy Lee Jones is great. Ron Howard flick.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Tombstone is of course great. Definitely one of the GOATS.

The good the bad and the ugly - I mean, hard to beat that one. The other spaghetti westerns with Eastwood are also excellent.

Silverado (80's) is really good.

Unforgiven of course

3:10 to Yuma was very good.

Django is great - hard to not watch it if it is on.

Eastwood has so many 70's era great westerns, it's hard to remember them all. High Plains Drifter. The Outlaw Josey Wales. And a bunch more.

I know I am forgetting some that deserve a mention here.

EDIT: Young Guns needs a mention. Also Paint Your Wagon with Clint and Lee Marvin is excellent. Can't beat the song they play when the movie ends.

Buddyboo

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
1. What do you think are the best Western movies of all time?

2. What are the best recent Westerns (last 20 years) you've seen?

Camping Wild West GIF by GritTV
Shane
Tombstone
Young Guns

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds