Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Virginia Newspaper column: B1G talking with UVA and UNC (1 Viewer)

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

Cunningham wants everybody to know UNC isn’t leaving the ACC: Really?​

11ea36b0865ce042d7c650577b016227

The Big Ten’s interest in UVA and North Carolina is more real than anybody is letting on publicly, which makes a News & Observer column telling us that UNC AD Bubba Cunningham told his staff that his school isn’t leaving the ACC all the more interesting.
“When the news cycle starts spinning like this, I have the obligation to let our staff know what I know and reassure them we’re going to be OK, that I value what they do, that the university values what they do. That’s my role, to reassure them that things are going to be fine,” Cunningham was quoted as saying in the column.
Hmmm.
The backstory here is the published reports from Thursday that had Big Ten chancellors authorizing Tony Petitti to talk with four schools to gauge interest in joining the league, naming two – Washington and Oregon – that have since accepted invites.
The other two schools were not named in the published reports, but there was speculation about interest in UVA and UNC, which have been linked to possible Big Ten expansion efforts in the past year.
I’m hearing more than speculation. Folks that I know who would know are saying that the ball is essentially in the court of Virginia and Carolina, and that the leverage being used is, if UVA and UNC don’t want in, the conference will move on to add Stanford and Cal, who are in obvious need of a new home with the implosion of the Pac-12.
Assuming that what the people that I know who would know aren’t being misled, we would seem to be at a loggerheads here.
With what I’ve been led to believe is going on, it’s hard to reconcile that with how over the top Cunningham has been in distancing Carolina from any interest in bolting from the ACC, including going on a Raleigh radio station on Thursday to blast higher-ups at Florida State for going public with their desire to leave the ACC.
And then, there’s this column, which feels, like the radio interview, like a plant.
Maybe I’m just reading things into what Cunningham has been saying, but it seems to me that if he is playing the PR game, it’s about trying to gain some leverage on his side with the Big Ten, which low-balled Washington and Oregon with their invites this week.
Those two schools will only get partial media-rights shares, basically a little more than what they’d been getting from the Pac-12, through the end of the decade.
If I’m UNC, or UVA, whose leaders have been, quite noticeably, silent the past few days, I’m not leaving the ACC for anything less than a full Big Ten share.
Which might put into context this other Bubba Cunningham quote from the News & Observer column.
“We have a $137 million budget. We have 285 employees. Eight hundred student-athletes. We’re going to host 200 events this year. Over a million people are going to come to our games. We’re in good shape,” Cunningham said.
You can read that two ways – to support the notion that, we’re not leaving, or to buttress the point, if you want us, show me the money.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
these are also rumored to be the two ACC institutions the SEC wants the most. FSU and Clemson aren't worth as much as they have presence in Florida and USC already.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Once the conference gets to 20 they would have enough sway to get any non-AAU member approved.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Clemson announced a new massive investment program in April called "Clemson Elevate" designed to greatly increase research at Clemson

1691354079636.png

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
We are still the only non-member of the AAU (of course we were a member when we joined the B1G)

Under the circumstances, I can't believe membership (or at least impending membership) is not a requirement for new members

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
UNC makes perfect sense. Virginia I dunno
TV viewers in the state plus academics - much like Maryland and Rutgers (and, for that matter, UCLA in its current state)

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
so we are gonna add

Stanford, Cal, Virginia, UNC, Clemson, and Florida State

That gets us to 24 teams

Do they do divisions after that?

West: USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford

East: Clemson, FSU, UNC, Virginia, Maryland, Rutgers

Midwest: Nebraska, Minnesota, Cockeye, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern

Northeast: OSU, Michigan, MSU, PSU, Indiana, Purdue

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
so we are gonna add

That gets us to 24 teams

I still don't understand how the ACC GOR issue gets fixed......

The schools in your Northeast consider themselves the original midwest. Maybe your midwest gets to be called Plains or Central or something. Based on the AAU thing, I'd think Miami might have an edge over FSU.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
so we are gonna add

That gets us to 24 teams

I think that's pretty close on what the divisions in a 24 team conference would look like, but I don't think UM, tOSU and PSU would all agree to be in the same division. you'd also be setting FSU up to dominate their division

I know it's personal preference, but the midwest division sounds boring as shit

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
so we are gonna add

That gets us to 24 teams

You could call the divisions: Pac12, Big10,Big8,ACC

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds