Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

UNLV Dumpster Fire

Idk, if someone told me I was getting a 100k NIL deal and then told me once I was already playing that they actually weren't giving me 100k, I'd probably stab them.

EDIT: Maybe he lying but the Assistant Coach probably lying...
It’s funny seeing the backlash these guys have gotten. If you showed up to work for a month but never got paid you wouldn’t go back.

It’s funny seeing the backlash these guys have gotten. If you showed up to work for a month but never got paid you wouldn’t go back.
If some assistant manager promised me $500k and a Lambo at some unspecified future date and I started working under that arrangement, I'd deserve to not get paid.

Andy Staples with a good reaction without knowing all the details. Laid out 3 Scenarios:

1. Sluka was promised 100k and he's not getting paid on their agreed schedule: UNLV Sucks

2. UNLV is markedly better than they were without Sluka, Sluka now is holding them hostage: Sluka Sucks

3. Other Schools are tampering and saying "we'd pay you 1 million, not 100k": CFB, the School, Sluka all suck.

Andy Staples with a good reaction without knowing all the details. Laid out 3 Scenarios:

1. Sluka was promised 100k and he's not getting paid on their agreed schedule: UNLV Sucks

2. UNLV is markedly better than they were without Sluka, Sluka now is holding them hostage: Sluka Sucks

3. Other Schools are tampering and saying "we'd pay you 1 million, not 100k": CFB, the School, Sluka all suck.
4. All of the above

If some assistant manager promised me $500k and a Lambo at some unspecified future date and I started working under that arrangement, I'd deserve to not get paid.
Thats not what has been reported. He is saying they had a verbal agreement and their NIL said they don’t but he isn’t the only player claiming this. As much as other teams wanted Sluka I’d be shocked if he decided to go to a school with no NIL agreement.

Yeah .. All these scenarios are plausible without us knowing the inner workings .. The concept of NIL was great but it launched without anybody having a clue how to regulate it .. I doubt this will be the last time we see something like this happen

Thats not what has been reported. He is saying they had a verbal agreement and their NIL said they don’t but he isn’t the only player claiming this. As much as other teams wanted Sluka I’d be shocked if he decided to go to a school with no NIL agreement.
If you have a verbal agreement to get paid especially one with an assistant coach (which has also been reported by Pete Thamel), you didn't have an agreement with the people who actually pay the money.

Sluka committed in January to UNLV. NIL deals can legally get papered, he had months to get it papered and apparently it is only now a huge concern. Maybe it's due to their hot start, maybe someone got in his ear about transferring. I don't know.

Like I feel for dudes who get promised shit and not paid, but welcome to being adult. If you don't have it in writing, you don't have it.

Last edited:
If you have a verbal agreement to get paid especially one with an assistant coach (which has also been reported by Pete Thamel), you didn't have an agreement with the people who actually pay the money.

Sluka committed in January to UNLV. NIL deals can legally get papered, he had months to get it papered and apparently it is only now a huge concern. Maybe it's due to their hot start, maybe someone got in his ear about transferring. I don't know.

Like I feel for dudes who get promised shit and not paid, but welcome to being adult. If you don't have it in writing, you don't have it.
Being an adult is also walking away when someone promised something but didn’t deliver. Yes he should have had a legal agreement and known an assistant coach wasn’t the person to get the deal done. Still don’t blame either one of them for walking away.

By rule you cannot have anything signed around money until after you enroll.

And you can't have an amount dependent on performance/starting. Could have promised him a certain dollar amount if he won the starting job. Can't have that in writing though because that's illegal.
"Hey you'll be signing a $100k contract to pimp ISIS Toyota's, here is the contract but we can't finalize until you enroll in July"

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Last edited:
Being an adult is also walking away when someone promised something but didn’t deliver. Yes he should have had a legal agreement and known an assistant coach wasn’t the person to get the deal done. Still don’t blame either one of them for walking away.
Yeah I don't necessarily blame him for leaving but he looks like as much of a chode as they do in all this which is not what I'd be trying to market myself to get paid at my next stop

"Hey you'll be signing a $100k contract to pump ISIS Toyota's, here is the contract but we can't finalize until you enroll in July"

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
I’d also fire the agent. The agent should be the one to know how all this shit works, should’ve known it should be in writing, yada yada yada. Regardless of what was said and agreed upon by either side, sounds like his representation really dropped the ball on how they represented the player.

i think the point you’re making is a two way street. The coach who promised something he wasn’t in a position to deliver is learning what being an adult looks like as well. If you promise someone something in order to get them to do what you want, in this case commit to UNLV, but you don’t intend to keep that promise, don’t be surprised when that person tells you to eat shit.

I’d also fire the agent. The agent should be the one to know how all this shit works, should’ve known it should be in writing, yada yada yada. Regardless of what was said and agreed upon by either side, sounds like his representation really dropped the ball on how they represented the player.
Lol right? That's kind of why I believe the UNLV account that he got an agent and came around looking for money after the fact because why on earth would you still be paying this dude to continue to not get you your money?

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back