Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Troy Dannen Intro (1 Viewer)

HuskerMarine

Fully Husked
Elite Member
How can Nebraska return to being relevant?

Dannen:
relapse records money GIF by Red Fang

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Alright that javelin joke was pretty good
Quote reminds me of a interesting College Football History story. In 1969, Nebraska was humming along and winning - had a great year, Bear Bryant and Alabama were struggling - went 6-5 that year. A large part of that was schools outside of the south were all-in on recruiting black players and Alabama and some other southern schools were not able to. Bear Bryant was trying to get his administration more open to the idea and called Bob Devaney to ask for advice. Bear Bryant told Bob, "The only position my boss wants a black guy (I imagine thats not the word that was used) to have at this school is a javelin catcher". Bob made a few stereotypes about speed and jumping that we all know to be true but aren't allowed to say today, and told Bear that if he can't figure it out - he won't have a chance at winning.

Within the next year Bear Bryant won and was allowed to recruit black players and in 1971 they were back to 11-1.

Thats the only context I've heard "Javelin Catcher" used before. Crazy times

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
That was one of my first thoughts. If and when the B1G/SEC division needs a commissioner, he'll be in a small pool of people who can say they've been an AD in both conferences.
I brought that up and their opinion was that he wants something above even that, whatever that may be down the road. They think he wants to be THEE guy at the head of the table.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
I brought that up and their opinion was that he wants something above even that, whatever that may be down the road. They think he wants to be THEE guy at the head of the table.
That's what I was trying to describe. Whenever the top half of D1 football separates from the NCAA and forms its own division, Turd could be in line to be commissioner of that. What would be above that?

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
That's what I was trying to describe. Whenever the top half of D1 football separates from the NCAA and forms its own division, Turd could be in line to be commissioner of that. What would be above that?
Probably nothing

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds