Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Tech guys, need help (2 Viewers)

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
What's the best way to get wifi to a detached garage?

I have a detached garage about 25 yards or so uphill from my house. The wifi barely stretches out to there right now, to the point where it works but super slow. I want to get it going good up there for a security camera set up as well as a streaming set up for a TV.

What's the best way to go about it? Is it as simple as a wifi booster or do I need some other tech?

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
A mesh system is similar to a repeater, but better. Spread out the mesh system pods so one is as close as possible in your house to where the garage is sitting. Sit another mesh wifi pod in the garage. Should get your wifi to the garage.

I don't currenty need or use a mesh system, but short of running line underground, can't think of another option for your situation.

kyle23

Linebacker
Elite Member
I use Google Mesh in my home and it nearly doubled my speed in the basement. My wifi is solid to my shed which is about the same distance as yours but not uphill.

The Mesh is the old model. You will need to look at the Google Nest.

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider

In short instead of one single wifi router, a mesh system has multiple access hubs which, when overlapped/meshed together it broadcasts the wifi signal further. Place one at your modem and others near where you want signal.

Most mesh systems come with three hubs. I have a Google Mesh system for outdoor TV, garage doors, sprinkler system. I have Gig fiber and with mesh I lose about 50% speed, but I can get that signal twice as far and through exterior walls.

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
I use Google Mesh in my home and it nearly doubled my speed in the basement. My wifi is solid to my shed which is about the same distance as yours but not uphill.

The Mesh is the old model. You will need to look at the Google Nest.

In short instead of one single wifi router, a mesh system has multiple access hubs which, when overlapped/meshed together it broadcasts the wifi signal further. Place one at your modem and others near where you want signal.

Most mesh systems come with three hubs. I have a Google Mesh system for outdoor TV, garage doors, sprinkler system. I have Gig fiber and with mesh I lose about 50% speed, but I can get that signal twice as far and through exterior walls.
Is the Google mesh system compatible with other routers? Or do I need to switch out whatever one the internet company set up for me

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
Is the Google mesh system compatible with other routers? Or do I need to switch out whatever one the internet company set up for me

Some say it might interfere with it, but I've had it setup with my wifi router and a Google Mesh for 4 years now. I've unplugged both to test and saw zero speed difference.

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Some say it might interfere with it, but I've had it setup with my wifi router and a Google Mesh for 4 years now. I've unplugged both to test and saw zero speed difference.
Sold. Thanks brother.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
If a mesh WiFi router won’t work, there are other options. Some remote garages are used as man caves, and as such have coaxial cable strung out to them.

IF that is the case, you’re set.

You can use a pair of MoCA adapters to run gigabit speed data over coax and plug in a router in your garage. MoCA adapters also work great in lieu of Ethernet cable for hard wired internet access and for use in back haul on more sophisticated mesh networks devices.

Mrs. LHR & I also have a T-Mobile Magenta 55 wireless plan for our iPhones & Apple cellular watches (80/month). I added one of their Home Internet Routers to our plan for $25/month, which I use as a backup here at home and in our camper when we’re traveling. It’s as simple as plugging into an electric outlet and waiting for it to power up and voila, WiFi anywhere there is T-Mobile coverage. Verizon sells a similar unit.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Assuming you have power out there, go with a Mesh Network setup as many have already said.

HuskerGarrett

If we die, we die
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I use Google Nest mesh and it works great to spread the signal throughout the house. I don’t have a detached garage though

Ironwardog

Linebacker
Elite Member
Like a lot of these guys have been talking, get a Mesh router system. First brand I tried was Vilo (it was sent to me free of charge by my internet provider) and it didn’t have the range I needed. I went to these with ASUS and they work fantastic. I live on a farm and I need internet access out to our grain elevator leg system to monitor our grain dryer during harvest which is probably 100 feet or so from my house. This model has been out for a couple of years but I see it’s quite a bit cheaper now than when I bought mine around $200 a piece, Amazon is selling them for $114 now. I bought three one for the house, one for the shop and one for the elevator system.

Attachments

• IMG_1642.png
    IMG_1642.png
    596.4 KB · Views: 1

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds