Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Spring Practice (1 Viewer)

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Can you explain why?
I believe he has said in the past that Uncle Donny teaches a hand placement that Lattimer hasn't seen/doesn't see often and is outside the norm of what is usually taught for the OL

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Can you explain why?
I've been taught and seen it almost universally accepted as the weak point of blocking when your elbows are point out. So when your thumbs are pointed inward.
- What I've been taught and mostly seen over the years is thumbs up = elbows down. Harder for the DL to disengage and break the arms.
- I've also seen the double-under approach or now what's classified as the Tip of the Spear model. Thumbs out in a W, still, elbows are not out, and creating lift, displacing the momentum of the defender.

I've heard very few talk about hand placement as thumbs in. I've seen a few equate it as how would you stop a door?

My personal preference and opinion is to keep elbows from point out as it's easier to collapse your arms and defeat the block. That's just me.

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
I've been taught and seen it almost universally accepted as the weak point of blocking when your elbows are point out. So when your thumbs are pointed inward.
- What I've been taught and mostly seen over the years is thumbs up = elbows down. Harder for the DL to disengage and break the arms.
- I've also seen the double-under approach or now what's classified as the Tip of the Spear model. Thumbs out in a W, still, elbows are not out, and creating lift, displacing the momentum of the defender.

I've heard very few talk about hand placement as thumbs in. I've seen a few equate it as how would you stop a door?

My personal preference and opinion is to keep elbows from point out as it's easier to collapse your arms and defeat the block. That's just me.

A person is naturally stronger with elbows tucked in and a neutral grip (thumbs up, palms facing each other). Additionally with elbows in, your shoulders cannot rotate creating disengagement.

Tuck your elbows into your lats and try and rotate your shoulders. Now elbows out and try and rotate your shoulders.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
A person is naturally stronger with elbows tucked in and a neutral grip (thumbs up, palms facing each other). Additionally with elbows in, your shoulders cannot rotate creating disengagement.

Tuck your elbows into your lats and try and rotate your shoulders. Now elbows out and try and rotate your shoulders.
Exactly. Plus I put most of my trust in what I've learned from some of the best to ever do it, and the way they teach it, is ultimately elbows down. You can't do that with thumbs in. Scarnnechia, McNally, Flood, Hand, etc...

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Exactly. Plus I put most of my trust in what I've learned from some of the best to ever do it, and the way they teach it, is ultimately elbows down. You can't do that with thumbs in. Scarnnechia, McNally, Flood, Hand, etc...
Any idea what Hiestand teaches?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds