Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Spoke for 30 minutes with an old SEC recruiter.. (1 Viewer)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Very interesting conversation. We talked a little about Tennessee’s issues. I said “handing out cash in McDonalds sacks wasn’t the smartest idea”

His reply was that, hey everybody cheats. From Power 5 to the Group of 5 everybody cheats. What got Tennessee in trouble was the boosters who were supplying that money wanted Pruitt gone. Fulmer said no because he knew Pruitt had a huge clean up job in the first place and he could see that improvement that a typical fan/booster can’t see.

So those boosters, not happy with Fulmers answer just ratted themselves out to the NCAA. Literally told on themselves to get Pruitt fired.

This guy said the problem with NCAA athletics is that former coaches are no longer getting AD jobs, instead those jobs are going to fundraiser types. So the people in charge, their first concern isn’t winning, it’s all about how much money they can raise.

Very interesting stuff from a guy that is WELL connected to big big big time recruiting departments.

Nothing groundbreaking but interesting to hear this guys perspective.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
How much cheating does Nebraska do?

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Clearly not enough.
nw9cJ.gif

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
I sat in the office of a guy in the compliance office at USC (Cali) and asked him about everyone cheating he said “Depends who you ask, if you ask a coach in the SEC, everyone cheats. If you ask a coach anywhere else, the SEC cheats.”

A high school head coach that was there with me for the Nike COY clinic told me all his D1 kids knew if they could get visits in the southeast they could at least leave with a little cash.

The vibe I get is conferences have their own list of ‘unwritten rules’ that dictates how loose they play with compliance laws and every conference is a bit different.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I sat in the office of a guy in the compliance office at USC (Cali) and asked him about everyone cheating he said “Depends who you ask, if you ask a coach in the SEC, everyone cheats. If you ask a coach anywhere else, the SEC cheats.”

A high school head coach that was there with me for the Nike COY clinic told me all his D1 kids knew if they could get visits in the southeast they could at least leave with a little cash.

The vibe I get is conferences have their own list of ‘unwritten rules’ that dictates how loose they play with compliance laws and every conference is a bit different.
I think we are naive to think that Nebraska kids don’t get “$100 handshakes” but I’m guessing that the SEC has taken it to another level. But if they are doing it to recruit that well then Ohio State must be doing it too. And we all know OUs past

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I think we are naive to think that Nebraska kids don’t get “$100 handshakes” but I’m guessing that the SEC has taken it to another level. But if they are doing it to recruit that well then Ohio State must be doing it too. And we all know OUs past
What happened with OU?

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
Didn't know a thing about that. That's wild. Coached at OU AND NU. I thought that was a sin?

Like Frost, Blake was a former player for the Sooners and he was the head coach at OU right before Stoops. His record as HC at his alma mater....12-22. Eerily similar to Frost.

Blake recruited at an exceptionally high level that when Stoops came in he won a NC in his second year.

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
I have kinda a fun story about SEC basketball recruiting. So my old college bball coach told us on a trip to a road game once about this. He used to be a assistant coach in the Jayhawk CC conference. While there he knew of a JUCO kid that was getting recruited by Auburn and ended up signing there. Auburn was using a booster to pay the player. The deal was $5000 to visit, $5000 to sign, $5000 to show up to campus, and then another $5k at the start of season...or something along those lines.

The thing that was funny is my coach said, "Auburn wasn't even good at the time. Makes you wonder what teams at the top of the league were giving!" haha. I don't know the time that would of happened...maybe the 90s or early 2000s....totally just guessing though.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I have quite a few of these stories. Over the years I have worked with so many former College Football players I have heard plenty. Some friends of mine their Step-Dad was the Lawyer for the Alabama Asst Coaches who got thrown under the bus by Tennessee. All kinds of stories there. Basically Travis Henry was got about $100,000 to go to Tennessee and some of the other players were jealous because they only got $30,000.

Another funny one is I have a couple friends who's kids played for Kansas. They got 2 transfers from Alabama, basically 4/5 Stars that Saban processed. First practice one of the former Bama players asked my buddies kid who he needed to see about getting the $10,000 Pre-Paid Credit Card. My buddies kid just laughed. Guess that is a sneaky way to handle getting them the money.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
My uncle has been real good friends since college with a Husker who is on most of the all time Husker teams. He told him he never got money. He did get summer type jobs where he got paid to do pretty much nothing. This guy also came from a family that had some money.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Not really in todays’s age, but would it be wild to think that Nebraska players got paid say under the table through working on farms around Lincoln in the offseason? Like maybe say the 90s and early to mid 2000s? Obviously hard work If that’s a deal, but I feel like that’d be an easy way for boosters to pay players and local farmers to get help and everyone to benefit.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds