Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

So tired of the buddy hires.. (2 Viewers)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Why doesn’t Nebraska do it like the big boys..

When co-defensive coordinator Greg Mattison decided to retire after 40+ years in college football, Ryan Day found himself with a premier opening that needed filled on his defensive staff.
Instead of bringing in someone from the outside, Day decided to shift some pieces around from within, and he announced those changes today.
Special teams coordinator Matt Barnes will now coach the defensive backs for the Buckeyes, while Parker Fleming is moving out of his quality control role after two seasons and will now take on the duties of special teams coordinator.
That means that defensive coordinator Kerry Coombs will remain as the team’s defensive coordinator, but will hand off the responsibility of coaching the secondary to Barnes after the Buckeyes finished near the bottom nationally in pass defense.

For Day, elevating Barnes and Parker allowed them the best opportunity to build on the staff dynamic that they currently have in the building

“To bring in somebody that has a different set of thoughts on coverages and beliefs and all those things, that’s a different dynamic,” Day shared earlier today. “I think Matt Barnes will do this job better than anyone in the country for what we need. And if I didn’t think that, we wouldn’t do it.”
The move further solidifies how highly valued guys in the building are for Day, as one of his first orders of business after Mike Yurcich left to become the offensive coordinator at Texas was to promote Corey Dennis from a senior quality control role to quarterbacks coach. That job with the Buckeyes quarterbacks could have easily drawn some really highly sought after names, but Day opted to promote Dennis.

“Promoting from within is something that I strongly believe in, and I believe it’s going to be an opportunity for these guys to really be part of our program for a long time and keep some continuity.”
Day also shared today that he is considering bringing in an outside defensive perspective as a consultant in the next few weeks, and added that person will have to be a fit with their culture.

Blackshirts_Win_'ships

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
They've been in the playoff the last 2 years and Day is 20-2 as a HC. He gets a little more latitude than some places where they're...idk...12-20? And it's Ohio State...I'm sure they're qualified.
And Day's doing everything he can to get different perspectives on how to get over the hump. Huh...what a strange concept...

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
If you keep skinning the same failure of a cat, without consulting an external eye who could easily tell you that's a failure cat you're skinnin', you just end up with failure cat sausage.
I think you need to rethink that one and try again. Maybe get some analogy lessons from @Baron Winnebago

Definitely keep the cat sausage in there though.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
If you keep skinning the same failure of a cat, without consulting an external eye who could easily tell you that's a failure cat you're skinnin', you just end up with failure cat sausage.
while you were sleeping GIF

Had cat milk before, but never sausage...

sexmonster

Linebacker
Ya ought to get a friend who says why the fuck are you skinning cats you psycho. Look, dogs over cats obviously all day but ya don't go around skinnin em

Blackshirts_Win_'ships

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
Ya ought to get a friend who says why the fuck are you skinning cats you psycho. Look, dogs over cats obviously all day but ya don't go around skinnin em
Considering the alternative in my neck of the woods, skinning is just a half-measure.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds