Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Sips New Column - Hints at Rhule (1 Viewer)

Dell Husker

Quarterback
tPB OG
“Meanwhile, Rhule, fired last month by the Carolina Panthers after a 1-4 start, has a history of success with reclamation projects (Temple, Baylor). Those were difficult jobs. He has to know Nebraska wouldn’t be an easy project. He must be intrigued.

I’ve said this before: I like the 47-year-old Rhule’s background coaching in the trenches. To wit: His assistant-coaching history includes three separate stints as a collegiate defensive line coach (Buffalo, UCLA, and Temple). In 2012, he was an assistant offensive line coach with the New York Giants.

Keep in mind, before he took the Baylor head-coaching job in 2017, Rhule was Oregon’s top candidate.

Although it’s gone quiet on the Rhule-Nebraska front, these situations often are fluid. Stay tuned.”

SteveO

Bench Warmer
“Meanwhile, Rhule, fired last month by the Carolina Panthers after a 1-4 start, has a history of success with reclamation projects (Temple, Baylor). Those were difficult jobs. He has to know Nebraska wouldn’t be an easy project. He must be intrigued.

I’ve said this before: I like the 47-year-old Rhule’s background coaching in the trenches. To wit: His assistant-coaching history includes three separate stints as a collegiate defensive line coach (Buffalo, UCLA, and Temple). In 2012, he was an assistant offensive line coach with the New York Giants.

Keep in mind, before he took the Baylor head-coaching job in 2017, Rhule was Oregon’s top candidate.

Although it’s gone quiet on the Rhule-Nebraska front, these situations often are fluid. Stay tuned.”
Rhule was on the hook, almost to the boat…

Dell Husker

Quarterback
tPB OG
Didn’t he just say over the weekend that he’s not coming.

He doesn’t even know what he’s doing anymore.
Sounds like he’s covering all of his bases.

It seems like yesterdays comments were to get Klieman a hefty raise.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Frustrated Jason Segel GIF by NETFLIX

Dell Husker

Quarterback
tPB OG
I believe it’s Rhule because of the twitter fiasco.

The only evidence I’ve seen with my own eyes. No rumors, no bullshit. No sources. So it’s the only thing I have to go off of.
I’ve thought about that situation in two ways:
1. He actually got caught following the signed coach
2. He wasn’t getting his way and followed Rhule to try to get the word moving again

whoboppin

Linebacker
Just reading between the lines its Rhule to me. Even if the Panthers are being total dickbags that shouldn't stop you from hiring Rhule. At a certain point you tip your cap to the Panthers and pay Rhule 10 million a year if that what it takes.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
I enjoy a good Sip column about the historical context of the Huskers & some of the big picture perspectives he offers, but his coaching search stuff has been downright painful to read.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
Just reading between the lines its Rhule to me. Even if the Panthers are being total dickbags that shouldn't stop you from hiring Rhule. At a certain point you tip your cap to the Panthers and pay Rhule 10 million a year if that what it takes.
The way I understand it, paying Rhule $10 million is basically making him work for free (since he's already getting $10 million a year whether he works or not). I think that may be the issue here.

ac husker

Safety
Elite Member
The way I understand it, paying Rhule $10 million is basically making him work for free (since he's already getting $10 million a year whether he works or not). I think that may be the issue here.
I just can’t follow this logic. The dude wants to coach not sit around jerking off.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG

IDK OP. To me it sounds like someone who's talking out of his ass.......AND covering all of his bases.

I thought last week he said Rhule is out?

Good catch though and thank you for sharing.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
I just can’t follow this logic. The dude wants to coach not sit around jerking off.
Yeah maybe he wants to coach, but does he want to coach for four years for free? How is it a persuasive argument from Nebraska to say, "Hey Matt, come take over our total clownshow. You'll spend 4 years of your life here, you'll age 10 years in that time, you won't make a dime more than you're making right now doing nothing, and if you fail, your career may be over. But we'd love to have you here."

There surely has to be some incentive for Rhule here besides "the love of the game".

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
If he had a good agent, he could probably negotiate a lump sum of money instead of being on the hook for years to pay the difference.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
If he got offered 10 mil and turned it down how would that work with his buyout? Even if he'd inevitably win Tepper may make him sue.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
If he had a good agent, he could probably negotiate a lump sum of money instead of being on the hook for years to pay the difference.
I agree, and that's why the "Tepper playing hardball" speculation came in to play. But any way you slice it, if the rumors about him cooling to Nebraska are true, I don't know what else it could be other than financial. Either Tepper isn't going for a buyout, in which case he must not want to work for free, or the buyout must be smaller than he'd like, in which case he must not feel like he's being adequately compensated. Or the cooling rumors are just BS.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
If he got offered 10 mil and turned it down how would that work with his buyout? Even if he'd inevitably win Tepper may make him sue.
I've heard these types of contracts usually have a "duty to mitigate". This is the biggest thing that makes me think Rhule might be locked up. Because I would think it's legally risky to go as far as he did with Nebraska without actually signing. Depending on how his contract is set up, he could be giving Carolina a lot of leverage for nothing if he doesn't sign with *someone*.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds