Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Season to date blocking is much improved per PFF (1 Viewer)

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
The blocking really is improved in 2023, although pass blocking still leaves a lot to be desired.

Season to date, we are 30th in run blocking out of 68 P5 teams (rating of 65.3). Pass blocking is still very deficient - 61st (rating of 53.7)

Last year we had a 51.2 in run blocking (55th of 64) and we were dead last - 64th - in pass blocking at 33.3. Pass blocking still sucks, but it has improved by 20 points year over year.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
Jibes with the eye test.

People forget just how bad last year was. The entire offensive output was predicated on Casey being able to plant his back foot on a 5 step drop and launch a deep ball to Palmer, but we couldn't even protect that long most of the time.

OL couldn't get a one yard surge on the LOS on a running play like... ever.

Going from dumpster fire to mediocre is a huge step in the right direction.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Sharpe on the radio mentioned that Donnie wasn’t able to coach last year and they are unsure if he will be back. I remember in Dec on one of the Doc doc podcast that Donnie isn’t the problem with the OL. That was according to Aaron Graham.
Where’s he gonna go

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
Sharpe on the radio mentioned that Donnie wasn’t able to coach last year and they are unsure if he will be back. I remember in Dec on one of the Doc doc podcast that Donnie isn’t the problem with the OL. That was according to Aaron Graham.
Graham said in that interview that the guys he has just aren't capable, which isn't Donnie's fault.

Huskerscoop

Linebacker
Elite Member
Probably back as an assistant OL coach. I think he is on a one year deal with Rhule. Got the HI OL to commit.

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
Probably back as an assistant OL coach. I think he is on a one year deal with Rhule. Got the HI OL to commit.
I was curious about this so I double checked and that is accurate. Donny’s current contract expires on December 31, 2023.

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member
Honestly it’s hard to justify getting rid of Donny if YoY the metrics are improving.

Not saying I agree with it but objectively that’s reality.
Just probably depends on if they think they can get someone better and also how good they think the younger Raiola kid is as a QB prospect.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Graham said in that interview that the guys he has just aren't capable, which isn't Donnie's fault.
SO ... who is supposed to recruit OL position players if not the OL Coach?

Yes, I realize there are geographical assignments, etc., but the position coach better be actively involved in recruiting the players in his room. We love to chirp about Corcoran, and why hasn't he been recruiting over during his time and associated struggles here. And yet ... the buck has to stop somewhere.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
SO ... who is supposed to recruit OL position players if not the OL Coach?

Yes, I realize there are geographical assignments, etc., but the position coach better be actively involved in recruiting the players in his room. We love to chirp about Corcoran, and why hasn't he been recruiting over during his time and associated struggles here. And yet ... the buck has to stop somewhere.
I'm confused, are there not 4 linemen already committed in this recruiting class? Is Brix not still trending to choose Nebraska?

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm confused, are there not 4 linemen already committed in this recruiting class? Is Brix not still trending to choose Nebraska?
Here are Uncle Donnie's recruits from the 2023 class, including Transfer Portal and Walk-on additions:

Sam SledgeOG6-04270OmahaNE
Mason GoldmanOT6-06260GretnaNE
Brock KnutsonOT6-07285ScottsbluffNE
Gunnar GottulaOT6-06255LincolnNE
Jacob Hood (Transfer Portal)OL6-08345NashvilleTN
Grant Seagren (Walk On)OL6-6250OaklandNE

JFC, that's indefensible for a Blue Blood school like Nebraska.

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
Honestly it’s hard to justify getting rid of Donny if YoY the metrics are improving.

Not saying I agree with it but objectively that’s reality.
I guess it’ll be up to Rhule to decide if the YoY improvement with Raiola is sufficient or if there’s another coach who he believes will help the players make even greater gains over the next year.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Fidone has been an excellent blocker so far. That helps the O Line (helps everyone). Our Tackles are bad. We know this. I am no O Line coach (was receivers and DB's), but I know enough about O Line to see there are issues with our Tackles. It is probably most likely that our OT's just aren't any good. But one does need to question development at the Tackle position. There seem to be fewer missed assingments overall with the O Line this year. Last year was historically bad for missed assignments (also known as getting your ass beat in embarrasing fashion).

The run blocking overall is definitely better. We get obvious more push up front. The pass blocking is a little better, but still not good.

I don't think Donny is the answer, but he might not be the problem, either. When a program is this down, and has been for so long, it takes more than a season or two to right the ship. Let us see how things progress (or regress), the rest of the season with the O Line play. Donny is on a prove it or get out of Dodge contract, and I am sure he knows that.

Minute Man

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
I have a feeling we’ll see Gottula play 10-12 snaps at LT around the Michigan State game. He could do that the rest of the season and keep his redshirt. Not enough snaps to overexpose him and ruin his confidence, but enough to see if he’s ready to take the spot for 24.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
Here are Uncle Donnie's recruits from the 2023 class, including Transfer Portal and Walk-on additions:

How come you didn't include Scott, Knaak, Connealy, Borchers and Brandl?

CornHub

Offensive Lineman

I actually think that's a pretty decent class given the circumstances he was in.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
It kind of looks like Uncle Donny has turned the corner on crooting, but the line could basically only move up from last season and when the pass blocking is still this trash it makes one wonder about his ability

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
It kind of looks like Uncle Donny has turned the corner on crooting, but the line could basically only move up from last season and when the pass blocking is still this trash it makes one wonder about his ability
It is pretty obvious none of the guys playing OT can move well enough laterally to pass block from that position. Probably no coach could truly fix that. The current guys simply lack the required athleticism to play P5 tackle.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds