Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Rumor is that Ewers is getting a $4 Million NIL at Texas... (1 Viewer)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Incredible if true.

Nebraska needs the boosters to really really step up to ever have a chance to be competitive.

I'm hoping with Bill Busch and Mickey Joseph on staff, Nebraska now at least has some guys that know how the game is played and how to line up the players.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Incredible if true.

Nebraska needs the boosters to really really step up to ever have a chance to be competitive.

I'm hoping with Bill Busch and Mickey Joseph on staff, Nebraska now at least has some guys that know how the game is played and how to line up the players.
On the one hand, we probably don't have to boosters and $$$ to compete with schools like Texas and Alabama and USC, etc.

On the other hand, there's only a handful of schools that can pay players like this, and its the same schools that were already bringing in top 15 classes every year.

So we are probably in the same position we were before. If we can just find a way to start winning and pay our players a little bit more than the rest of the schools outside the top 15, then we might be able to get something going.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
On the one hand, we probably don't have to boosters and $$$ to compete with schools like Texas and Alabama and USC, etc.

On the other hand, there's only a handful of schools that can pay players like this, and its the same schools that were already bringing in top 15 classes every year.

So we are probably in the same position we were before. If we can just find a way to start winning and pay our players a little bit more than the rest of the schools outside the top 15, then we might be able to get something going.
True

But if boosters really wanna show how powerful they are....and I'm sure Nebraska has some, this is where they step up to the plate.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
True

But if boosters really wanna show how powerful they are....and I'm sure Nebraska has some, this is where they step up to the plate.
Does Nebraska have boosters who could set this kind of stuff up to the point that Nebraska could compete with the big schools?

I don’t know anything about Nebraska booster activities and what actually goes on behind the scenes at Nebraska.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Does Nebraska have boosters who could set this kind of stuff up to the point that Nebraska could compete with the big schools?

I don’t know anything about Nebraska booster activities and what actually goes on behind the scenes at Nebraska.
No clue.

Red Dog

Cornerback
Elite Member
That’s a bargain if he’s as good as advertised, and even if he isn’t you just cut ties and pay a million to the next wonderboy qb

doublewing

Running Back
I feel like 20 years from now there will be a 30 for 30 on how crazy this shit is. They'll interview Ewers from his double wide trailer and there will be a montage that features scenes like this:

scarface-money.gif

ZzB.gif

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Incredible if true.

The transfer portal will tell you a lot. If Frost ends up with a lot of average or subpar transfers it means we aren’t paying shit.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Wait til you see the 30 for 30 of NIL kids doing time for tax evasion.
I have friends who have sons that play college football. They are getting NIL money. One big concern is they have not been properly informed about paying taxes on that income. Luckily these parents know better but some families are going to be in for a serious shock come April 15th.

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member
I have friends who have sons that play college football. They are getting NIL money. One big concern is they have not been properly informed about paying taxes on that income. Luckily these parents know better but some families are going to be in for a serious shock come April 15th.

@Jim14510 this might be a dumb question but is it taxed at standard income tax rates or any idea how that all shakes down? Credits they get for being students?

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
@Jim14510 this might be a dumb question but is it taxed at standard income tax rates or any idea how that all shakes down? Credits they get for being students?
I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be taxed as ordinary income also subject to self employment taxes. They can do things like S Corps and offset the income with some expenses but it would be munimal. Even if they ran it through as scholarship money which I highly doubt is the case that would still be taxed at ordinary rates since they already have a full ride. Just wouldn't have self employment tax.

I'd be more curious in seeing what ABM's cut is.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds