Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Rhule won't make the same roster mistakes for 2024. (1 Viewer)

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The misses hurt in a bad way on offense. But they were risk he had to take.
Honestly it’s probably better the team doesn’t beat Cockeye. Extra practice is cool and all, but resources are probably better used going in full speed once the portal opens
I really don’t expect a big move in the portal this year tbh

skersker

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
The misses hurt in a bad way on offense. But they were risk he had to take.
Honestly it’s probably better the team doesn’t beat Cockeye. Extra practice is cool and all, but resources are probably better used going in full speed once the portal opens
Disagree

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
Scale it down. I bet we don't take more than 3 guys from the portal
True.

It's not going to be some long shopping list where Rhule is throwing whatever is on the shelves into his cart. Scholarship numbers don't support this method.

I bet we are picky and specialized...... and hopefully a little opportunistic.

I suppose I'm assuming there won't be some exodus of guys we have now so I agree with Carm that the transfers in will be low because the transfers out will be low too. And we have a pretty big HS class incoming.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
True.

It's not going to be some long shopping list where Rhule is throwing whatever is on the shelves into his cart. Scholarship numbers don't support this method.

I bet we are picky and specialized...... and hopefully a little opportunistic.

I suppose I'm assuming there won't be some exodus of guys we have now so I agree with Carm that the transfers in will be low because the transfers out will be low too. And we have a pretty big HS class incoming.
anyone who wants to stay for year six has to be willing to do it as a walk-on as well, I think. Rhule will likely de-roster a handful of guys before next fall too, but the pool of guys he can do that to is getting relatively small.

kaz36

Linebacker
Elite Member
He chose to take the offense in a different direction than what Casey Thompson was going to be capable of doing (different skill set and unavailable for spring due to injury) So he went all in on Sims. (Catastrophic)
This is what I don't understand. I really think they want to run an offense that caters to someone like Casey Thompson's skillset, but decided to go get a turnover prone, run first QB out of the portal. Not saying Thompson would have been the answer, but just didn't understand getting Sims. Seemed like they were putting a square peg in a round hole. My only thought would be that Rhule knew how bad the OL would be and decided he needed a more mobile QB who could scramble better than CT.

Toe

Wide Receiver
The game itself might be meaningless, but you get more practice time for bowls than you do for spring camp. THAT is the prize right now.

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
The game itself might be meaningless, but you get more practice time for bowls than you do for spring camp. THAT is the prize right now.

I didn’t realize that. Truly wild

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member
This is what I don't understand. I really think they want to run an offense that caters to someone like Casey Thompson's skillset, but decided to go get a turnover prone, run first QB out of the portal. Not saying Thompson would have been the answer, but just didn't understand getting Sims. Seemed like they were putting a square peg in a round hole. My only thought would be that Rhule knew how bad the OL would be and decided he needed a more mobile QB who could scramble better than CT.
Don’t kid yourself, CT was turnover prone too. Also Sims was never as bad in prior seasons as he was this year; I don’t think anyone reasonably believed Sims would be THIS bad. Not trying to say Sims isn’t a disaster but it’s not that cut and dry. Rhule and Satt just need to nail this next transfer portal cycle.

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
When Rhule was hired he went on a charm offensive. It was the right move. He offered a bunch of Nebraska HS kids to send a message that Nebraska valued them and it endeared him to Nebraska HS coaches. He did mostly the same with Texas athletes and coaches. He was playing catch up and didn't have time to be choosy because all of this was happening at breakneck speed. His "To do" list was a mile long and there weren't enough hours in the day.

Add the fact that at that point he didn't know much about his current roster. Sure he watched film, but he hadn't been around the guys to really know them. Also, he was pretty new to the whole transfer portal era and the NIL environment.

So we saw him make some moves like re-recruiting Betts and IGC. Those didn't work out for different reasons. He also re-recruited Jimari Butler, which paid off big. He chose to take the offense in a different direction than what Casey Thompson was going to be capable of doing (different skill set and unavailable for spring due to injury) So he went all in on Sims. (Catastrophic)

He also brought in transfers like Collier, Sherman and Borders.....but then found out after practicing in the spring and summer (and early games) that Tommi Hill, Hugehog, Javin Wright, Bullock and Butler were better than them anyway. Still other guys he spent time on like GilVape or Hood ended up just being a total waste of time. For every hurdle he was able to clear he still tripped over a few.

So the point I'm trying to make is now Rhule has his feet under him. He has the lay of the land. He has a year under his belt and a much better idea of what he has on the roster and what he doesn't. IMO he is going to do much better at shaping the roster for 2024. The hurdles will still be there but this time he will have had a chance to prepare for each one.

Last point: The roster rat race starts Friday night regardless of our bowl eligibility. With how things are set up now, these meaningless bowls for 6-6 teams are actually a bit of a drag on 2024 roster reformation. Sure it's good for your young players to get some more practice and possibly a rewarding trip/game/experience, but it will keep our staff from going full throttle on roster reformation.
I hope you’re right. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but he really needs to hit the portal hard from some offensive skill positions and an o-lineman or two

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
portal opens 12/4, signing day is 12/20. Season exit interviews will need to take place the week after Thanksgiving.

You're right, the only good thing with the bowls is the additional practices, a little fun, and the chance to give some young players more PT. Otherwise the games themselves are worthless.
This will likely be the last year of the December signing period according to Dean. He thinks they'll bring back the summer signing period. This would be a huge benefit for teams up north like Nebraska. The days of SEC teams being able to slow play kids will be over when kids like Lacy could have been signed sealed and delivered already in the summer.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
How long is it going to take Purdy to recover from his groin surgery. Making a bowl game might push his surgery back by several weeks. Could it affect his availability for spring?

(I am making the assumption that Purdy will still be on the team in the spring and may even be QB1 going into spring drills)

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
Bring back?
Has there ever been a summer signing period?
I thought Dean used to talk about there being one at some point during Osborne's tenure. Maybe it was a different rule that had similar effects as a signing day that was eliminated at some point.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds