Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Ranking the likely Big Ten QB Starters - Where would you slot Raiola? (2 Viewers)

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
My eyes tell me that's all based off potential. The guy really struggled to push the ball down field at times last year and it lead to PSU not being that great offensively.
Agreed but he was only a sophomore. 25 tds and only 2 int The counter argument is Penn St didn't have a great WR group. Not sure how true that is.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
Tommy was a lot better than he gets credit for, he’s the best QB on that list of Skers
Tommy seems to get praised a lot and Tanner Lee is consistently dogged, but stat wise they are about the same. Wonder why that is?

Lee 2017, 246/428 for 3143 yards, 23 TDs, 16 INTs
Tommy 2015, 222/402 for 3030 yards, 22 TDs, 16 INTs
Tommy 2016, 151/291 for 2180 yards, 14 TDs, 8 INTs

Lee and Armstrong weren't that different to have such wildly different opinions of the two.

Adolph Coors

Fat
Elite Member
Tommy seems to get praised a lot and Tanner Lee is consistently dogged, but stat wise they are about the same. Wonder why that is?

Lee and Armstrong weren't that different to have such wildly different opinions of the two.
leaving out the rushing yards which is huge.

doublewing

Running Back

Tommy was a playmaker that won some memorable games. Not a great QB, but a very good one who is remembered differently for those reasons.

I remember the hype with Tanner Lee in the preseason but nothing beyond that. He did nothing at NU and is why there are wildly different opinions of the two.

Last edited:

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG

You actually didn't list Tommy's (arguably) best season, which was 2014. Not that it was some outlier, but he played 3 3/4 seasons at NU and made a lot of good things happen. Lee didn't. In addition:

NU record:
Tanner Lee: 4-8
Tommy Armstrong - 30-13

Career Rushing stats:
Tanner Lee: -97 yards, 2 TDs
Tommy Armstrong: 1,819 yards, 23 TDs

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG

Looks pretty similar when you leave out half of his production.

Dr.DrakeRamoray

Wide Receiver
Insider
tPB OG

I mean you are forgetting rushing and the all important wins

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
The passing stats were just a lot closer than I would have guessed based of off message board chatter. Lee is remembered as a QB that threw INTs, when Tommy threw just as many. Just thought it was a bit odd, how folks remember things.

redzoner

Cornerback
The passing stats were just a lot closer than I would have guessed based of off message board chatter. Lee is remembered as a QB that threw INTs, when Tommy threw just as many. Just thought it was a bit odd, how folks remember things.
Type of interception matters as well.

I don't know the comparison numbers between the two but Lee had some really bad game changing pick sixes.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
Type of interception matters as well.

I don't know the comparison numbers between the two but Lee had some really bad game changing pick sixes.

How much of that is on the QB though? Play call, WR, bad bounce, pass protection, great defensive play lot's of things go into a pick six. That's certainly what Lee is remembered for. Here are his pick sixes compared to Armstrong's in 2015.

INT for TDs
Northern Illinois in 1st quarter, we lost
Rutgers in 3rd quarter, we won
Wisconsin in 1st quarter, we lost

2015 Armstrong
Northwestern in 2nd quarter, we lost
Cockeye in 2nd quarter, we lost

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Lee was a good QB, but I do think that he gets an unfair amount of hate from Nebraska fans. He wasn't much worse than Armstrong and had to do it in a very tumultuous environment. Everything around the team in 2017 was a mess, DC was terrible and the HC was a dead man walking after a few games, the fans were more concerned about Frost and UCF than the Nebraska team. Just find it odd so many fans think of Lee as bad and Armstrong as good, when they were actually just different shades of ok.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Tommy was a playmaker that won some memorable games. Not a great QB, but a very good one who is remembered differently for those reasons.

I remember the hype with Tanner Lee in the preseason but nothing beyond that. He did nothing at NU and is why there are wildly different opinions of the two.
The hype about Lee was strictly because he was going up against Diaco's defense on practice

Once we found out how shitty that defense was it all made sense

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
How much of that is on the QB though? Play call, WR, bad bounce, pass protection, great defensive play lot's of things go into a pick six. That's certainly what Lee is remembered for. Here are his pick sixes compared to Armstrong's in 2015.

INT for TDs
Rutgers in 3rd quarter, we won
Wisconsin in 1st quarter, we lost

2015 Armstrong
Northwestern in 2nd quarter, we lost
Cockeye in 2nd quarter, we lost

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Lee was a good QB, but I do think that he gets an unfair amount of hate from Nebraska fans. He wasn't much worse than Armstrong and had to do it in a very tumultuous environment. Everything around the team in 2017 was a mess, DC was terrible and the HC was a dead man walking after a few games, the fans were more concerned about Frost and UCF than the Nebraska team. Just find it odd so many fans think of Lee as bad and Armstrong as good, when they were actually just different shades of ok.
It wasn't the play calling.. Lee had a problem reading coverages. Tommy was just a risk taker. Lee played in quite a few games that were over by halftime, so he put up better stats against scrubs and soft coverage.

Last edited:

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Eh I’m just not seeing the mystery here. Even beyond the stats, Tommy had longevity, tons of wins, tons of memorable moments and memorable games, intangibles, scrappy attitude, etc, all on his side.

I don’t think anybody has ever claimed he was a great *passer,* I can easily see the case for Lee being more talented at throwing the ball, but when it comes to who Husker fans have more regard for it’s Tommy all the way, as it should be. Doesn’t mean Lee is a bad guy or anything, he got thrown into a shitty situation and it just didn’t pan out here for him. Tale as old as time.

Last edited:

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
It wasn't the play calling.. Lee had a problem reading coverages. Tommy was just a risk taker. Lee played in quite a few games that were over by halftime, so he put up better stats against scrubs.

Tanner Lee threw something like 8 career pick 6's along the line of scrimmage during his time at Tulane and Nebraska. Its almost an unreal number.

He followed that up by throwing a pick 6 in a college all star game and throwing multiple pick 6s in his lone NFL training camp.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
Tanner Lee threw something like 8 career pick 6's along the line of scrimmage during his time at Tulane and Nebraska. Its almost an unreal number.

He followed that up by throwing a pick 6 in a college all star game and throwing multiple pick 6s in his lone NFL training camp.
Santos GIF by GIPHY News

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
My question would be, where would these guys slot in that list (my guess at ranking 1-18 in parenthesis)

Heinrich Haarberg (16th)
Jeff Sims (18th)
Casey Thompson (11-12 range)
Adrian Martinez (11-12 range)
Tanner Lee (12-14 range)
Tommy Armstrong (12-14 range)

My point is that we have not had a QB that is top half (1-9) caliber in a long, long time. I believe that if Dylan Raiola can perform at a 7-9 range that NU will go 8-4 or better. I think if he's 10-11 we'll go 7-5.
Eck-Fucking-SCUSE me?!?! Give some respect to NFL Draft pick Tanner Lee, please. And Thank you.

images

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds