Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Povich v Schwellenbach (1 Viewer)

SoCal_Corn

Wide Receiver
Povich’s curveball is devastating and it’s fucking ON.

He’s got an opportunity to be a Fried/Kershaw/Zito/Koufax type of a lefty.

Holy fuck. 2 games into his career and we are already comparing him to some of the greatest pitchers of all time 😂😂😂😂

List is shit without the best lefty I ever saw

22aaa85b00f90ce8fb8b693048a165c0.jpg

&
here's the remaining Lefty list to compare this kid to: :rolleyes:

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I’ve watched every pitch Povich & Schwellbach have thrown sense being called up so try again 😂 he’s not even a top 100 current prospect in the MLB and you’re saying he has one of the best curveballs in the league & comparing him to HOF’s. Maybe it’s you that doesn’t know what your talking about.

1) What is so wrong saying hes got an opportunity to be that good? Saying that doesn’t mean that I said he will be that good or is that good right now.

2) I don’t care about who’s on the top 100 prospects lists.

3) I didn’t say he’s got one of the best in the league. But honestly, some extended metrics on his curveball from last night place it as the 11th best…. So…?

4) Nobody said you didn’t know what you’re talking about.

5) Stop with these straw man arguments. Nobody said you didn’t know what you are talking about and you’re posting as if I said Cade Povich is Kershaw.

Nobody has said that.

Last edited:

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Yeah that’s the problem. Cade and Fried are nowhere near Zito/Koufax/Kershaw. You keep talking about Fried like he is the standard or something.

Then why are you saying I compared him to some of the greatest players of all time?

It would be absolutely terrible if Cade ended up being as good as Max Fried, a guy who will make a lot of money this off-season with whatever franchise chooses to sign him.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Max Fried isn’t anywhere near Barry Zito. As long as you don’t dive into any numbers you’ll continue to believe that.

Bulldog10

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
1) What is so wrong saying hes got an opportunity to be that good? Saying that doesn’t mean that I said he will be that good or is that good right now.

2) I don’t care about who’s on the top 100 prospects lists.

3) I didn’t say he’s got one of the best in the league. But honestly, some extended metrics on his curveball from last night place it as the 11th best…. So…?

4) Nobody said you didn’t know what you’re talking about.

5) Stop with these straw man arguments. Nobody said you didn’t know what you are talking about and you’re posting as if I said Cade Povich is Kershaw.

Nobody has said that.
You’re saying he has the stuff to be comparable to HOF’s. If he was a top 50 prospect in baseball, I wouldn’t have said a word. But that’s just not who he projects to be. I’m not saying it’s impossible because he has looked good, but let’s just slow the fuck down.
Max Fried isn’t anywhere near Barry Zito. As long as you don’t dive into any numbers you’ll continue to believe that.
Yeah I could agree that I maybe overrated Zito. Fried can’t stay healthy though. Has had like 1 elite year, he didn’t get hurt in.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
You’re saying he has the stuff to be comparable to HOF’s. If he was a top 50 prospect in baseball, I wouldn’t have said a word. But that’s just not who he projects to be. I’m not saying it’s impossible because he has looked good, but let’s just slow the fuck down.

Yeah I could agree that I maybe overrated Zito. Fried can’t stay healthy though. Has had like 1 elite year, he didn’t get hurt in.

Yes, I’m saying he’s got the stuff that will give him the opportunity to be in those conversations. Some pitchers continue to improve and some don’t. Kyle Wright is a guy who at his best was one of the best in terms of raw stuff in the game. Yet he couldn’t be consistent. He also had the opportunity to be great but wasn’t. I’m comfortable saying what I said.

I’m not sure why you’d defer to a Top 100 prospects list. Can you elaborate on that?

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
Yes, I’m saying he’s got the stuff that will give him the opportunity to be in those conversations. Some pitchers continue to improve and some don’t. Kyle Wright is a guy who at his best was one of the best in terms of raw stuff in the game. Yet he couldn’t be consistent. He also had the opportunity to be great but wasn’t. I’m comfortable saying what I said.

I’m not sure why you’d defer to a Top 100 prospects list. Can you elaborate on that?
You are saying he’s Mason Baumgardener/Sandy Kofax

Bulldog10

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member

I defer to the top 100 list because the scouts that make them know a lot more than you and I. It is usually where the prospects who project to have the Kershaw/Koufax careers reside. Same thing as college recruiting. You’re basically saying a 3 star Qb recruit has the tools to be Peyton Manning or Trevor Lawrence. Sure there’s 3 stars who end up being all timers, but the hit rate on 5 stars is a hell of a lot higher. Cade is the 13th ranked prospect on his own team & we’re acting like he’s Paul Skenes.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I defer to the top 100 list because the scouts that make them know a lot more than you and I. It is usually where the prospects who project to have the Kershaw/Koufax careers reside. Same thing as college recruiting. You’re basically saying a 3 star Qb recruit has the tools to be Peyton Manning or Trevor Lawrence. Sure there’s 3 stars who end up being all timers, but the hit rate on 5 stars is a hell of a lot higher. Cade is the 13th ranked prospect on his own team & we’re acting like he’s Paul Skenes.

Which list do you look at?

Bulldog10

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
Which list do you look at?
I don’t just look at one, I look at all of them & make a conclusion on a player based on multiple experts opinions. I prefer Baseball America or fangraphs. Keith Law is alright, mlb.com does an okay job.

SlumpBuster

Cornerback
Elite Member
I kinda get what you're saying and honestly I don't really disagree...I get a huge pet peeve when people do the "he reminds me of" threads honestly...feels like you're heaping a whole lot of expectations or un-earned praise.

That being said, his big sweeping hook is definitely legit and really tough for LH hitters even at that level.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I don’t just look at one, I look at all of them & make a conclusion on a player based on multiple experts opinions. I prefer Baseball America or fangraphs. Keith Law is alright, mlb.com does an okay job.

I’m not saying those aren’t good outlets at all. I’m also not saying that I don’t want my favorite team’s farm system to be littered with guys on the top prospects lists.

They, like everybody else, overlook people.

FanGraphs is very useful for taking some obscure data and showing you a lot of different things and I love it. Baseball Savant is an outlet that I really like too. Baseball Savant has Cade’s average exit velo and his barreled up rate among its “very good” categories. They don’t have a big enough sample size yet, but if you filter to all pictures on their site Cade’s curveball ranks in the top 15 in baseball based on several different metrics.

As @SlumpBuster said, his sweeper and his curve are two pitches that give him a chance to be elite.

I am notoriously harsh on prospects. I still don’t like Brice Matthews as a pro prospect and I maintain that position. I rarely dig my heels in on one guy. But I am doing it with Povich and it has nothing to do with the fact he’s from here.

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
I don’t just look at one, I look at all of them

Then you should know he's in the T100 of an outlet.

And he was T55 a year ago. By one of the best in the (media) industry. Unfortunate for Cade, he didn't perform at a high enough level to maintain.

Publications don't like him because of FB velo. Exact same coming out of Nebraska; nobody had him in the top 500 for the 2021 draft. Except, you know, the actual scouts - and executives - who make decisions to keep food on their table.

Poof, 3rd round, #99 overall.

He's been comped to Max Fried by just about everyone in the O's & Braves organization, amongst others. Including many scouts while he was at Nebraska. Smyly is his other comp.

I've read the texts. I've heard the voicemails. I've heard it directly from MLB players, including Max Fried himself Wednesday evening.

And here's a reason why people see Fried when Povich pitches...

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Then you should know he's in the T100 of an outlet.

And he was T55 a year ago. By one of the best in the (media) industry. Unfortunate for Cade, he didn't perform at a high enough level to maintain.

Publications don't like him because of FB velo. Exact same coming out of Nebraska; nobody had him in the top 500 for the 2021 draft. Except, you know, the actual scouts - and executives - who make decisions to keep food on their table.

Poof, 3rd round, #99 overall.

He's been comped to Max Fried by just about everyone in the O's & Braves organization, amongst others. Including many scouts while he was at Nebraska. Smyly is his other comp.

I've read the texts. I've heard the voicemails. I've heard it directly from MLB players, including Max Fried himself Wednesday evening.

And here's a reason why people see Fried when Povich pitches...

I’ve seen more of Max Fried than 95% of baseball fans and I’ll say that Cade is unequivocally ahead of where Max was when they were 24.

Not many people realize Max had quite the journey to the Bigs and he’s actually still on his rookie deal.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds