Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Outdoor TV (1 Viewer)

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Here is my back patio. Well shaded after 5-6pm in the summer. Tired of hauling a tv out and planning to mount one to the wall. Do you need an outdoor tv or can you get by with a standard tv and cover?View attachment IMG_1322.jpeg

Tyneb23

POTD Editor of tPB. Master interviewer
Titty Master
tPB OG
do you allso have one of those pee pee holes drilled in somewhere in your house for gettin BJ’s tyrone?
Sure do. Got a gallon of warm white drink for you

doublewing

Running Back
I thought this was going to be a thread on the great Babe Winkelman and his outdoor TV show.

babe_winkelman_300px-281x315.jpg

kevost

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
What are you guys using for pest control to enjoy the outside this time of year? Flies and mosquitos are thiiiiick right now for me near the Ne/Ks border.

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
What are you guys using for pest control to enjoy the outside this time of year? Flies and mosquitos are thiiiiick right now for me near the Ne/Ks border.
I have my place sprayed. Then the tiki torches and a thermacell seems to do the trick.

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Following. Wife and I talked about doing this as well so curious if people are spending the extra money for the outdoor TV or just sticking with standard TVs.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I have just an extra standard tv and a cover.
It's probably the 5th or 6th best TV I have, so if it needs to go, than it's easy.
This is exactly right. An outdoor TV is so ungodly expensive. I forgot to take my standard tv down before winter so I just left it this year. Fired right up in the spring with no issue. If it goes, it goes. If it works, great.

You can get about 7 standard tvs for 1 good outdoor tv

The only thing you run into with a standard tv is having it bright enough to be a good picture when outside, even if covered/shaded. You'll notice the picture isn't great. But not many want a GREAT picture out of their outside tv. They want some noise of a game, and to be able to watch on and off as you do things.

lee_carvallo_12

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I thought this was going to be a thread on the great Babe Winkelman and his outdoor TV show.

babe_winkelman_300px-281x315.jpg
2 things -

1) I just bought a cheap walmart tv on sale to use as an outdoor tv thinking if i get a year or two out of it, i did well and i'll replace it with another walmart tv on sale. That was almost 7 years ago and it's going strong.

2) The Babe came to our little home town in WY when I was a kid for a walleye fishing tournament. He gave a talk on walleye methods and technique at a local watering hole called the safari club. Babe gives his talk and my dad and one of his buddies, Rick, are drinking, smoking cigs and taking it all in. Babe finishes up and is mingling with the local hill-jacks, when Rick says "I'm gonna go talk to this asshole."

Now, I found out years later that uncle Rick was a cocaine addict and alcoholic, on top of having sex with his wife's twin sister and his step mom. The guy was REALLY something else.

But... back to Babe. Rick goes up to him, unprovoked, takes Babe's cigarette out of his ash tray (you could smoke indoors back then, of course), takes a big, long drag off Babe's cig, blows the smoke right in his face, pokes him in the middle of the chest and says, "man, you don't know SHIT about walleye fishing." My dad says he has no idea what Babe did or said that got to Rick, but Rick was ready to throw some hands. My dad grabbed Rick and dragged him out of the safari club while Rick was yelling back at Babe, "you don't know shit about walleye fishing! I know how to catch walleyes!" and the like.

greybeardedchild

Cornerback
Elite Member
2 things -

1) I just bought a cheap walmart tv on sale to use as an outdoor tv thinking if i get a year or two out of it, i did well and i'll replace it with another walmart tv on sale. That was almost 7 years ago and it's going strong.

2) The Babe came to our little home town in WY when I was a kid for a walleye fishing tournament. He gave a talk on walleye methods and technique at a local watering hole called the safari club. Babe gives his talk and my dad and one of his buddies, Rick, are drinking, smoking cigs and taking it all in. Babe finishes up and is mingling with the local hill-jacks, when Rick says "I'm gonna go talk to this asshole."

Now, I found out years later that uncle Rick was a cocaine addict and alcoholic, on top of having sex with his wife's twin sister and his step mom. The guy was REALLY something else.

But... back to Babe. Rick goes up to him, unprovoked, takes Babe's cigarette out of his ash tray (you could smoke indoors back then, of course), takes a big, long drag off Babe's cig, blows the smoke right in his face, pokes him in the middle of the chest and says, "man, you don't know SHIT about walleye fishing." My dad says he has no idea what Babe did or said that got to Rick, but Rick was ready to throw some hands. My dad grabbed Rick and dragged him out of the safari club while Rick was yelling back at Babe, "you don't know shit about walleye fishing! I know how to catch walleyes!" and the like.
Great story! Really appreciate the part about Rick. A true inspiration to humanity and something we can all strive towards.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I just have a standard smart TV 32" that I carry in and out of the basement and hang on the shed out back. It's convenient and not heavy. May look into a bigger set up in the future once our back patio and furniture are officially done.

Rise to Power

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
tPB OG
I have an older 40” Samsung mounted outside with a $20 Amazon cover. It works great for an outside TV because it has the bigger outward facing speakers but it is definitely not an ‘outside’ TV. I bring it inside during the winter and back out in the spring and it works just as good as the day I bought it when it was a primary TV in a secondary bedroom. I think the biggest risk is getting moisture inside and then letting it freeze. I kinda wish it would crap out so I could rotate inside TV’s but it just keeps working.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds