Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Other games (2 Viewers)

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I will pay more attention to them. It was the first game of theirs I watched. I live in Phoenix area and mainly watched due to ASU. Will be interesting to see if this was just a bad night for USC and Williams. He was definitely not Heisman quality last night
I think USC is pretty good but I still question their defense. The Pac 12 also has plenty of other teams who can light it up offensively, so I could see them losing a game or two.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
This is called a straw man argument. You create a fake premise then argue against it. Let's look at talent levels, since you brought it up:

This is my guess for where Nebraska would rank in unit talent rankings in the B1G:

Offense: 14th
QB: 12-14th
RB: 12-14th
WR: 14th
OL: 11-14th
TE: 8-12th

Those are my guesses - do you disagree with any of those unit rankings? If so, do tell.

I understand that our talent level on defense is way higher....but I'm not sure how a team with probably the worst offensive talent in P5 could or should be expected to win 4 straight games in a good conference like the B1G.
I’m of the opinion we are more like 9th-11th across the board not bottom 2-3. AG is not a bottom 3 halfback in this weak ass conference. Kemp and Washington probably start for NW, Indiana, MSU, Rutgers, maybe even Cockeye and Purdue. Haarberg isn’t the worst QB in this conference because of his legs, i’d give him 11th-12th. We have one of the older OL units in the conference but coaching is holding them back for sure. Agree with 8thish for TE, Fidone and Boerk are serviceable.

I highly disagree with your assessment that we have the worst offensive talent in P5 as well. Sheesh, Thats just baffoonery. Have you watched Boston College, Stanford, Vandy, Wake Forest, Okie State, Indiana and a few others play yet this year? We may be bottom 15 in all of P5, but we are not dead last.

Let’s say you are correct that we have the worst offensive talent in all of power five football (we dont) who’s fault is that? Is that acceptable to you?

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’m of the opinion we are more like 9th-11th across the board not bottom 2-3. AG is not a bottom 3 halfback in this weak ass conference. Kemp and Washington probably start for NW, Indiana, MSU, Rutgers, maybe even Cockeye and Purdue. Haarberg isn’t the worst QB in this conference because of his legs, i’d give him 11th-12th. We have one of the older OL units in the conference but coaching is holding them back for sure. Agree with 8thish for TE, Fidone and Boerk are serviceable.

I highly disagree with your assessment that we have the worst offensive talent in P5 as well. Sheesh, Thats just baffoonery. Have you watched Boston College, Stanford, Vandy, Wake Forest, Okie State, Indiana and a few others play yet this year? We may be bottom 15 in all of P5, but we are not dead last.

Let’s say you are correct that we have the worst offensive talent in all of power five football (we dont) who’s fault is that? Is that acceptable to you?
Agreed on Grant and probably right about Stanford. Vandy, Indiana etc. Though if we're being honest the only thing that separates us from them is we have a QB who can run fast, a solid RB and maybe a slightly above avg TE (Fidone).

I'd be happy if we're 9-11th in the B1G in all offensive position groups then that means we'd at least have a chance in these B1G non Michigan games. I think many of them will be 50-50 games. A few of them that is.

Key for Nebraska is you have to win 2/3 phases of the game. So they need STs to be way better. You can't win 50-50 games winning only 1/3 phases.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Let’s say you are correct that we have the worst offensive talent in all of power five football (we dont) who’s fault is that?
You're going to say it's Rhule's fault. But the correct answer is it's all on Frost.

Frost's offensive player recruiting-development-retention was legendarily bad. There is a reason Frost had to scramble every offseason to sign several new OT-OGs as well as WRs - they're recruiting/dev/retention was AWFUL. There's a reason our WR leader last 2 seasons was a portal transfer - we develop fuck all for WRs. Same for OL.

Yes Rhule should have brought in better WRs but he also thought he had Betts and IGC and by end of game one we had neither.

Don't make this into a Rhule sucks thing. This is 99.9999% on Frost and the shit show way he ran the offense. If you need proof - look at the defense. WAY more to work with there. Why? Chinander for all his faults ran a very positive and developmental culture on defense. We actually saw people develop and get better on defense (whereas in offense we saw zero of this - hence the need for portal stars every year).

F1ckell inherited 2 sides that had minimum level Chinander culture/development, Rhule inherited 1. It's a huge, huge difference.

You're going to come back with a pithy response but you know I'm 1000% correct.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
Wazzu would definitely kick the fuck out of us.
I’m being sarcastic. When they beat Wiscy everybody was giving me shit saying Fickel sucks and i said Wazzu was actually pretty good. Duck right again

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
You're going to say it's Rhule's fault. But the correct answer is it's all on Frost.

Frost's offensive player recruiting-development-retention was legendarily bad. There is a reason Frost had to scramble every offseason to sign several new OT-OGs as well as WRs - they're recruiting/dev/retention was AWFUL. There's a reason our WR leader last 2 seasons was a portal transfer - we develop fuck all for WRs. Same for OL.

Yes Rhule should have brought in better WRs but he also thought he had Betts and IGC and by end of game one we had neither.

Don't make this into a Rhule sucks thing. This is 99.9999% on Frost and the shit show way he ran the offense. If you need proof - look at the defense. WAY more to work with there. Why? Chinander for all his faults ran a very positive and developmental culture on defense. We actually saw people develop and get better on defense (whereas in offense we saw zero of this - hence the need for portal stars every year).

F1ckell inherited 2 sides that had minimum level Chinander culture/development, Rhule inherited 1. It's a huge, huge difference.

You're going to come back with a pithy response but you know I'm 1000% correct.
I would put it 70% on Frost and 30% Rhule. Dont like any of the offensive hires Rhule made (especially with that checkbook) and also we absolutely should have done more in the portal on O. There’s zero doubt about that. Rouse and Mazzcua would have helped but i know those situations were complicated.

With Rhule being out of the college game for 2.5 years i know he’s still learning and adjusting to the new look CFB, which makes some of those assistant hires even more puzzling to me. Most concerning is hitching your wagon to Jeff fucking Sims at QB. Thats on Rhule/Satt. But it is what it is at this point.

I think next offseason we should go get some top of the MAC/FCS type guys with shit to prove rather than sloppy seconds from better programs. Go get SDSU’s best TE, NDSU’s best OL and a couple all MAC receivers, linemen and running back. QB looking like a priority as well if we’re serious about winning.

What’s interesting is that we have 5 former 4 star recruits starting on this offense, which is like 4th or 5th best in the B1G. Obviously recruiting rankings dont mean everything but the teams competing for conference championships arent doing it with a bunch of 3 stars.

I still stand by us being more talented than the 4 teams we face after Michigan.

Blbmeb

Linebacker
Elite Member
I would put it 70% on Frost and 30% Rhule. Dont like any of the offensive hires Rhule made (especially with that checkbook) and also we absolutely should have done more in the portal on O. There’s zero doubt about that. Rouse and Mazzcua would have helped but i know those situations were complicated.

With Rhule being out of the college game for 2.5 years i know he’s still learning and adjusting to the new look CFB, which makes some of those assistant hires even more puzzling to me. Most concerning is hitching your wagon to Jeff fucking Sims at QB. Thats on Rhule/Satt. But it is what it is at this point.

I think next offseason we should go get some top of the MAC/FCS type guys with shit to prove rather than sloppy seconds from better programs. Go get SDSU’s best TE, NDSU’s best OL and a couple all MAC receivers, linemen and running back. QB looking like a priority as well if we’re serious about winning.

What’s interesting is that we have 5 former 4 star recruits starting on this offense, which is like 4th or 5th best in the B1G. Obviously recruiting rankings dont mean everything but the teams competing for conference championships arent doing it with a bunch of 3 stars.

I still stand by us being more talented than the 4 teams we face after Michigan.
I love how people just say “Just go get this player or that player” as if nobody else is going to find them and we can just pluck them out of the portal. If they are that good other teams already know about them too.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
I love how people just say “Just go get this player or that player” as if nobody else is going to find them and we can just pluck them out of the portal. If they are that good other teams already know about them too.
We need to get this idea that we are similar to fucking Illinois in recruiting out of our head. We have one of the best brand spankin new facilities in the country, one of the best gameday atmosphere/ fanbases in the country and probably top 4 NIL in the Big Ten and a rich history.

We absolutely can go get these types of guys. Minny got the MAC leading rusher last offseason and now he’s their starter and leading the Big Ten in rushing this year by a wide margin. Sure as hell beats SEC sloppy seconds like Arik Gilbert, Jacob Hood, Collier, Sherman and Borders

Blbmeb

Linebacker
Elite Member
We need to get this idea that we are similar to fucking Illinois in recruiting out of our head. We have one of the best brand spankin new facilities in the country, one of the best gameday atmosphere/ fanbases in the country and probably top 4 NIL in the Big Ten and a rich history.

We absolutely can go get these types of guys. Minny got the MAC leading rusher last offseason and now he’s their starter and leading the Big Ten in rushing this year by a wide margin. Sure as hell beats SEC sloppy seconds like Arik Gilbert, Jacob Hood, Collier, Sherman and Borders
I agree but you can’t expect to get the top guy from every school and every position you want.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
I guess what I’m saying is I could see USC losing a game or two.
I think USC will definitely lose a couple of games. I think they are 4th best in the PAC, behind Washington, Oregon and Utah. But USC will still spank Colorado. While Colorado caught the public eye, they also made sure that everyone they play will want to beat them down and it will happen, a lot.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think USC will definitely lose a couple of games. I think they are 4th best in the PAC, behind Washington, Oregon and Utah. But USC will still spank Colorado. While Colorado caught the public eye, they also made sure that everyone they play will want to beat them down and it will happen, a lot.
Very well could be. The BIG is about get get much better.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
yes, but they will be much different teams when Williams, Penix and Nix leave.

Reminds me of that year in the Big 12 when there were a bunch of really good QBs.
Two of those coaches will reload on offense considering their track records. Oregon will always be tough too.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
Two of those coaches will reload on offense considering their track records. Oregon will always be tough too.
Maybe, eventually. Look at the Clemson and Alabama offensive struggles. Riley seems to have the best ability to get another great QB immediately, but he hasn't had a good defense his entire coaching tenure.

Long term I think Lanning could be the best defensive minded HCs, seem to get good offenses, easier than offensive minded HCs get good defenses. Just a feeling.

Definitely bringing in good programs with several of them having real good teams this year.

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
Interesting comments from Wazzus coach towards ESPN last night. FTR, it was a pretty good game.

Attachments

• IMG_2088.jpeg
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Maybe, eventually. Look at the Clemson and Alabama offensive struggles. Riley seems to have the best ability to get another great QB immediately, but he hasn't had a good defense his entire coaching tenure.

Long term I think Lanning could be the best defensive minded HCs, seem to get good offenses, easier than offensive minded HCs get good defenses. Just a feeling.

Definitely bringing in good programs with several of them having real good teams this year.
I get what you’re saying they might not be as good as this year especially Washington, but those guys are all good coaches and will have tough teams in the future. These aren’t typical west teams like Purdue, NW, Illinois, and Cockeye who lack skill players. You better have some offensive fire power going forward against those teams or you will be in for some long days.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds