Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OL PFF grades

These are the '22 scores compared to '21 for guys that had 150 snaps or more in both years. This seems to suggest some measurement consistency as well. Everyone of these guys actually improved a little in 22 compared to 21.

NAMEPFF 22PFF 21
Piper
61.7​
58​
Benhart
60.2​
50.2​
Hixson
56.2​
52.2​
Corcoran
32.2​
29.6​
I would be curious of Benhart game by game... Later in the year he seemed to playing at a decent level IYAM.

What an incredible change we might see if we get all 3 guys.
I mean think about this...
  • Teddy gets healthy... He is an NFL dude
  • Nouili now is unsuspended and hopefully not getting caught juicing
  • Scott will be a multi year starter
  • Turner is now likely playing OG which is his natural position.
  • Mazzccua looks like a solid OG
  • Benhart improved a healthy amount and was playing good ball later in the year.
  • Rouse is projected as a mid round NFL OG
  • Luto is a year older and likely not being relied on as a starter
You can make that work.

See that doesn't make sense to me... He was getting burned a ton early in they year.
Exactly. We all seen him play. He was terrible for many games. That's when they brought in Anthony to play for a couple of games splitting snaps.

Anyone with open eyes could 👀 it.

Total snap counts… drops in the middle when he was green rated.
04AA7862-D899-4D77-A8D3-D265CB4FC0BB.png

If they can get those three they realistically need 1-2 more oline transfer.

LT - Walter Rouse/Benhart
LG - Mathis Mazzccua/Piper
C - Ben Scott/Turner Corcran
RG - Nouill/Luto
RT - Teddy Prochazka/Hunter Anthony

Could really use another tackle

PFF's grades are pretty legit. Its based on performance during games. But those grades shouldn't be used for player rankings beyond individual conferences, especially for offensive linemen.

It doesn't take competition into account. If you're an offensive tackle who faces 7 future NFL Defensive Ends throughout the season and struggle, its kind of ridiculous that you could be ranked 500 spots below some kid from Utah State, who's faced one future NFL pass rusher in two seasons.

PFF then takes these individual rankings and creates a comprehensive team offensive line ranking of all FBS football teams. In 2019, they ranked The University of Louisiana higher than LSU, which might have had one of the greatest college football teams of all time.

Its almost absurd to think LSU didn't even have the best offensive line in their own state according to PFF. That LSU team sent 6 of their offensive linemen to the NFL.

I mean think about this...
  • Teddy gets healthy... He is an NFL dude
  • Nouili now is unsuspended and hopefully not getting caught juicing
  • Scott will be a multi year starter
  • Turner is now likely playing OG which is his natural position.
  • Mazzccua looks like a solid OG
  • Benhart improved a healthy amount and was playing good ball later in the year.
  • Rouse is projected as a mid round NFL OG
  • Luto is a year older and likely not being relied on as a starter
You can make that work.
Agree - that would be a competitive line.

See that doesn't make sense to me... He was getting burned a ton early in they year.
most of his hurries and sacks were in the second half of the season. To me that makes sense simply because the competition was much tougher in the second half. I'm not sure I trust my memory about how it looked at the time.

PFF's grades are pretty legit. Its based on performance during games. But those grades shouldn't be used for player rankings beyond individual conferences, especially for offensive linemen.

It doesn't take competition into account. If you're an offensive tackle who faces 7 future NFL Defensive Ends throughout the season and struggle, its kind of ridiculous that you could be ranked 500 spots below some kid from Utah State, who's faced one future NFL pass rusher in two seasons.

PFF then takes these individual rankings and creates a comprehensive team offensive line ranking of all FBS football teams. In 2019, they ranked The University of Louisiana higher than LSU, which might have had one of the greatest college football teams of all time.

Its almost absurd to think LSU didn't even have the best offensive line in their own state according to PFF. That LSU team sent 6 of their offensive linemen to the NFL.
agreed that it doesn't make sense between FBS and FCS or between P5 and G5. There is rough justice in comparing within P5, I think, as the talent differential is smaller. I think you just need to accept that it is a directional indicator.

The fact that Corcoran, for example, is the lowest graded OT in P5 with starter snaps pretty strongly suggests he is very near the bottom as an OT, if not the bottom

Total snap counts… drops in the middle when he was green rated.
View attachment 19073
this makes me wonder if they thought he was playing too many snaps and it was causing his performance to deteriorate, so they played Anthony. If so they may have been right, but it turned out they couldn't afford to put Anthony on the field that much.

I posted this elsewhere as part of a dialogue with @nja13

I did some analysis of all D1 OL in 2022.

141 schools in PFF, a total of 1,668 players who took at least one OL snap.

The following are the Nebraska players with more than 150 snaps with their overall season blocking grade and where that grade ranks in the 1668 (1 being best, 1668 being worst.)

It is astonishingly terrible. The majority of our guys - 5 of 8 - rank in the bottom 11% of the 1668.

We need to hope/prayer/whatever we get these portal guys.

NAMESNAPSPFFRANK
Piper52761.7687
Benhart64360.2900
Hixson78356.21184
Prochazka21249.81489
Bando50147.61546
Lutovsky28144.21601
Anthony15734.71653
Corcoran73932.21657

Compare this to the transfer portal commitment and guys we are pursuing -

Mazzccua had a 74.9 in 2022, his first year with heavy PT, at LG

Scott had 61.4 in 2022, his first year as a center (he had a 73.9 in 2021, when he played the entire year as a RT)

Rouse had 67.3 in 2022 - he was playing coming back from an injury the middle third of the season - and a 71.4 in 2021, both years at LT

What an incredible change we might see if we get all 3 guys.
70C3FD1C-A3C7-4484-8296-9E9444D44AD6.gif

Last edited:
If they can get those three they realistically need 1-2 more oline transfer.

LT - Walter Rouse/Benhart
LG - Mathis Mazzccua/Piper
C - Ben Scott/Turner Corcran
RG - Nouill/Luto
RT - Teddy Prochazka/Hunter Anthony

Could really use another tackle
personally, not sure this is possible. One of the key things with these three is that they can look at our line last year and see themselves all start. That will be harder for a fourth guy. Plus, the OT talent in the portal is thin and most P5 schools are trying to get OTs in the portal.

These three guys, if we get them, would have to be one of the best, if not the best, OL portal hauls in all of college football the last couple of years, especially because the coach wasn't in a position to bring one from his last job (like Napier brought AA O'Cyrus Torrance to Florida from Louisiana)

Last edited:
I also think if we grab the last two, we see some attrition from the likes of Benhart and Corc. Two players that will lose starting gigs.

Looking at just the B1G, we had the worst rated tackle in Corc, and the worst rated guard in Bando AND Luto. To top it off, Piper was below average and every other team in the conference (yes, all 13 teams) had at least 2 guards rated above him. Similar, Bando was rated below the pair of tackles for every other team except Purdoodoo. Both of their tackles graded out worse than Bando but were right around the same grade.

*Note, the above assumes a minimum snap count so Teddy isn’t factored in.

I also think if we grab the last two, we see some attrition from the likes of Benhart and Corc. Two players that will lose starting gigs.

Looking at just the B1G, we had the worst rated tackle in Corc, and the worst rated guard in Bando AND Luto. To top it off, Piper was below average and every other team in the conference (yes, all 13 teams) had at least 2 guards rated above him. Similar, Bando was rated below the pair of tackles for every other team except Purdoodoo. Both of their tackles graded out worse than Bando but were right around the same grade.

*Note, the above assumes a minimum snap count so Teddy isn’t factored in.
I still think Benhart has a decent shot to start at right tackle, even if these three come. Corcoran, probably not, even as a guard. Teddy has less than 350 career snaps, Benhart has almost 2000, he played better last year and they ought to have enough depth (if these guys come) to let him rest 20 snaps a game. If Anthony is here he won't be on scholarship.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back