Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Ohio St NIL = Bonkers

I have no doubt a collective is willing to pony up that type of cash.

However, there is no way in hell those deals are equitable to an NFL deal. In the NFL, you're an employee with insane benefits and a service time clock that starts immediately. And that clock means you are even closer to the big money contracts. It also feeds into an NFL pension that players can earn after retirement.

With NIL, you are a 1099 earner. You don't have any benefits. You aren't really protected from a serious injury, and there is no money being fed into retirement, unless you're the most meticulous saver on the planet - which seems laughable for college kids.

There’s no way
they might be able to match the average 1st round pick's salary, but the signing bonus is $15 million+ and the total guaranteed money is more than that

seems pretty short-sighted to throw this much money at a couple guys for 1 year when that same money would buy the #1 recruiting class. tOSU must be getting pretty desperate

I have no doubt a collective is willing to pony up that type of cash.

However, there is no way in hell those deals are equitable to an NFL deal. In the NFL, you're an employee with insane benefits and a service time clock that starts immediately. And that clock means you are even closer to the big money contracts. It also feeds into an NFL pension that players can earn after retirement.

With NIL, you are a 1099 earner. You don't have any benefits. You aren't really protected from a serious injury, and there is no money being fed into retirement, unless you're the most meticulous saver on the planet - which seems laughable for college kids.
Good point. If they are getting rookie season money at OSU, that means they will be stuck with rookie season money for two straight years, instead of escalating and making progress toward a larger second deal in year 2.

Delaying your eventual bigger contract ? NFL pension? Another year of wear and tear? Risk of injury?
Yeah, I probably didn't think it through. For Henderson, I would say move on since RBs have such a short shelf life. For Harrison, I think it depends what players are projected to go ahead of him and if he's actually making more NIL money depending on where he goes in the draft.

Good point. If they are getting rookie season money at OSU, that means they will be stuck with rookie season money for two straight years, instead of escalating and making progress toward a larger second deal in year 2.
1st round picks get a 4 year contract automatically, with the 5th year being a team option. the biggest issue for these players is that it delays their 2nd contract by 1 year, which is where the huge payday is.

Marvin Harrison Jr would be looking at $40 million/year on that second contract if he lives up to the hype

I think the gist of the story is that OSU is drastically upping their already substantial NIL game.

I think the gist of the story is that OSU is drastically upping their already substantial NIL game.
It seemed like their NIL wasn’t up to par last year. Maybe they figured everything out. I always assumed they paid more than us, but I think some southern schools were kicking their ass.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back