Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Offensive line pass blocking question (1 Viewer)

kaz36

Linebacker
Elite Member
Wanted to pose this question to @slattimer about the pass blocking technique of our offensive tackles. I noticed the other day against Michigan that our tackles generally got beat, it was to the outside. I noticed that Corcoran looked like he was skating on ice when he back peddles. What kind of technique is taught today for straight up pass blocking? It really seems like our tackles struggle to get out to the outside rush. Would like a comment on what you see when NU pass blocks and what you think they do wrong ? Do you not want to commit too much to the outside rush because you can then get beat inside?

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Wanted to pose this question to @slattimer about the pass blocking technique of our offensive tackles. I noticed the other day against Michigan that our tackles generally got beat, it was to the outside. I noticed that Corcoran looked like he was skating on ice when he back peddles. What kind of technique is taught today for straight up pass blocking? It really seems like our tackles struggle to get out to the outside rush. Would like a comment on what you see when NU pass blocks and what you think they do wrong ? Do you not want to commit too much to the outside rush because you can then get beat inside?
Paul Alexander was an OL coach in the NFL a long time. Saw him in a clinic one year, was good. He stated numerous times, OL coaches sometimes teach to keep your outside hand/shoulder down the middle of the rushers chest, and said that is wrong, that you'll continually get beat by pass rushers on the outside.

kaz36

Linebacker
Elite Member
Paul Alexander was an OL coach in the NFL a long time. Saw him in a clinic one year, was good. He stated numerous times, OL coaches sometimes teach to keep your outside hand/shoulder down the middle of the rushers chest, and said that is wrong, that you'll continually get beat by pass rushers on the outside.
Do they teach kick steps anymore? It looks like Corcoran is shuffling like an old man when he backs up.

kaz36

Linebacker
Elite Member
I don’t know what he teaches for pass pro
I apologize. I guess I meant that I was wondering if that is a thing taught anywhere anymore? My son was an OLand went to an OL camp about 12 years ago with Dan Young and Milt Tenopir and they had guys like Zach and Eric Weigert, Aaron Graham, etc there and that is one of the things they taught was the kick step in pass pro.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I apologize. I guess I meant that I was wondering if that is a thing taught anywhere anymore? My son was an OLand went to an OL camp about 12 years ago with Dan Young and Milt Tenopir and they had guys like Zach and Eric Weigert, Aaron Graham, etc there and that is one of the things they taught was the kick step in pass pro.
Yeah, most are using vertical sets now, kick, get depth, if you get an inside rush you can press and flatten him or stop him.

kaz36

Linebacker
Elite Member
Yeah, most are using vertical sets now, kick, get depth, if you get an inside rush you can press and flatten him or stop him.

hat-tip-leave.gif

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
This analysis is actually kinder than reality. One, it includes transfers, so the number of entering freshmen is smaller. Two, it includes a significant number of guys everyone knew were last minute reaches.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds