Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

New year, new spirits budget: I'm not wasting any time

Johannes de Silentio

Offensive Lineman
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Have pulled the trigger on some biggies that I've been eyeing a while. Will be a smaller haul in February and March, but that's just fine.

1. Jean Grosperrin Borderies No. 28: This is a 90-yo cognac (1928 vintage, aged in casks the whole time rather than a transfer to glass at any point, and bottled in 2018) that has gotten tremendous praise from several commentators. This is the biggie of this lot. It's pretty remarkable to find something so old from this cru (Borderies is the smallest of them) at such a high ABV (53.8%) and with such a reputation. I have a 1925 Grosperrin from Grande Champagne, which is outstanding, but I'm not sure if it was in oak the whole time--kind of doubt it.

1609720571538.png

2. Bertrand Heritage Petite Champagne: The eau-de-vie that was aged to make this cognac from the Petite Champagne cru is apparently from the 1960s. They don't give a vintage, but it seems to be pretty reliable information. I've similarly heard great things about this, and it's a producer with which I don't have any experience, so I'm happy to try them out for the first time. Always glad to see the smaller guys doing their own bottlings of single estate stuff rather than just selling to the big houses.

1609720595105.png

3. Foursquare 2007 12 yo Cask Strength: One of the premier rum producers according to folks who are more into it than I am. What makes me excited about this one is it seems to draw equal praise from both whisky critics and guys who are primarily into rum--good sign that the palate appeals to just about any spirits lover. Another plus is that it's pretty inexpensive: I'm paying a hair over $70 for this one exclusive of shipping (these first three are all ordered from FineDrams in Belgium who has great prices, $55 shipping for the lot). I've definitely picked up interest in brandy and rum over the past year, but rum has lagged behind a little bit in terms of my knowledge. Hoping to rectify that. This will be my first Barbados rum (other ones in the collection are from Jamaica, Guadeloupe, and a blend of British Caribbean distilleries). In 2021, I hope to continue to branch out. Early candidates are Chairman's Reserve from Saint Lucia, Clairin Casimir from Haiti, and Worthy Park from Jamaica.

1609720612098.png

4. Vallein-Tercinier XO "Buche de Noel" (Malternative Belgium): I already have a decent amount of experience with this producer, owning a VT Grande Champagne Lot 90 (1990 vintage) and a Maltbarn bottling of VT Bons Bois Lot 86 (1986 vintage--you see the code, I bet). The former is fucking fantastic and it was the first cognac I bought a couple years ago. The latter is much more recent, but it seems to be pretty damn good, too--need more time with it. This is a multi-cru blend with an average age around 20 years. I'm a big fan of this Belgian bottler, also owning a 1960 Chollet Fins Bois from them. Really dig the labels, including the one here. This particular bottling is supposed to be a heavier, "Christmas style" cognac, which is in contrast to the normal VT style of light honeyed fruitiness. Eager to try it, and another one that's a bang-for-the-buck bottle ($145 or so all-in with the shipping from Europe).

1609720672496.png

alcoholic GIF

It really does make me seem like a wino, right? Honestly, though, I rarely get drunk on any of this stuff. Usually when I'm getting my load on, it may involve some of this fancy shit, but it's supported with beer, wine, cheaper liquor, etc. The bottles in this thread and many of the others I post about are better suited for hoity-toity douchebaggery.

Tito's handle runs me about $26.
What draws you to Tito's? I know it's been the trendy vodka for a few years, at least. I know next to nothing about vodka, so while I've had it, I can't really compare it to others that seem good to me like Ketel One.

Bet it all tastes like ass but I’m jealous of your refined palette
First of all, thank you for your jealousy. It's more a matter of experience with various spirits (especially scotch) and an interest in learning as much about the categorization and history of these spirits than any particular innate talent. Second, me sipping on my YAK:

1609727783485.png

What draws you to Tito's? I know it's been the trendy vodka for a few years, at least. I know next to nothing about vodka, so while I've had it, I can't really compare it to others that seem good to me like Ketel One.
I think I started drinking it when it was really trendy because it was a lower price vodka that I liked and I just sort of kept with it. It isn't great but it's good and I don't like change so it's my jam now.

I think I started drinking it when it was really trendy because it was a lower price vodka that I liked and I just sort of kept with it. It isn't great but it's good and I don't like change so it's my jam now.
Probably as good of reason as any for a vodka preference. I'd love to meet a connoisseur of that to see what they're after in their preferred vodkas. Can't imagine there are too many out there, though.

Have pulled the trigger on some biggies that I've been eyeing a while. Will be a smaller haul in February and March, but that's just fine.

1. Jean Grosperrin Borderies No. 28: This is a 90-yo cognac (1928 vintage, aged in casks the whole time rather than a transfer to glass at any point, and bottled in 2018) that has gotten tremendous praise from several commentators. This is the biggie of this lot. It's pretty remarkable to find something so old from this cru (Borderies is the smallest of them) at such a high ABV (53.8%) and with such a reputation. I have a 1925 Grosperrin from Grande Champagne, which is outstanding, but I'm not sure if it was in oak the whole time--kind of doubt it.

View attachment 1320

2. Bertrand Heritage Petite Champagne: The eau-de-vie that was aged to make this cognac from the Petite Champagne cru is apparently from the 1960s. They don't give a vintage, but it seems to be pretty reliable information. I've similarly heard great things about this, and it's a producer with which I don't have any experience, so I'm happy to try them out for the first time. Always glad to see the smaller guys doing their own bottlings of single estate stuff rather than just selling to the big houses.

View attachment 1321

3. Foursquare 2007 12 yo Cask Strength: One of the premier rum producers according to folks who are more into it than I am. What makes me excited about this one is it seems to draw equal praise from both whisky critics and guys who are primarily into rum--good sign that the palate appeals to just about any spirits lover. Another plus is that it's pretty inexpensive: I'm paying a hair over $70 for this one exclusive of shipping (these first three are all ordered from FineDrams in Belgium who has great prices, $55 shipping for the lot). I've definitely picked up interest in brandy and rum over the past year, but rum has lagged behind a little bit in terms of my knowledge. Hoping to rectify that. This will be my first Barbados rum (other ones in the collection are from Jamaica, Guadeloupe, and a blend of British Caribbean distilleries). In 2021, I hope to continue to branch out. Early candidates are Chairman's Reserve from Saint Lucia, Clairin Casimir from Haiti, and Worthy Park from Jamaica.

View attachment 1322

4. Vallein-Tercinier XO "Buche de Noel" (Malternative Belgium): I already have a decent amount of experience with this producer, owning a VT Grande Champagne Lot 90 (1990 vintage) and a Maltbarn bottling of VT Bons Bois Lot 86 (1986 vintage--you see the code, I bet). The former is fucking fantastic and it was the first cognac I bought a couple years ago. The latter is much more recent, but it seems to be pretty damn good, too--need more time with it. This is a multi-cru blend with an average age around 20 years. I'm a big fan of this Belgian bottler, also owning a 1960 Chollet Fins Bois from them. Really dig the labels, including the one here. This particular bottling is supposed to be a heavier, "Christmas style" cognac, which is in contrast to the normal VT style of light honeyed fruitiness. Eager to try it, and another one that's a bang-for-the-buck bottle ($145 or so all-in with the shipping from Europe).

View attachment 1323
If this post is a humble brag, I like it..... 😎 👍

The only difference I've found with different Vodkas is if you drink the quality ones you have less of a hangover than cheap ones. Not sure how many people drink it straight but I can't taste any of it mixed.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back