Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

New Bipartisan Bill to Remove Free Transfer Rule (1 Viewer)

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
Lol - yes, they do, because the "professional" sports are all unionized and the unions have collective bargaining agreements with management in which both sides got something in exchange for what they gave up. They give up the mobility to get something in return. Is that what you're advocating for college sports?
Yes? You cannot have a league like the one they have currently. Competitive balance is literally impossible.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yes? You cannot have a league like the one they have currently. Competitive balance is literally impossible.
I would be all for a draft myself. But if you do that, you have to pay the players. At the P5 level there would not be many who weren't worth more than a scholarship.

Ironically, a lot of schools argued the transfer portal would help with competitive imbalance, which you must disagree with. I do.

You can't get competitive balance by locking players in place either, though. The have nots don't get good enough players in the beginning for that to work. They gravitate to the successful teams.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
I would be all for a draft myself. But if you do that, you have to pay the players. At the P5 level there would not be many who weren't worth more than a scholarship.

Ironically, a lot of schools argued the transfer portal would help with competitive imbalance, which you must disagree with. I do.

You can't get competitive balance by locking players in place either, though. The have nots don't get good enough players in the beginning for that to work. They gravitate to the successful teams.
The value of the degree itself cannot be ignored. I think the university of Nebraska technically spends something like ~$350,000 per player over the course of their time at Nebraska and that estimate was from several years ago already. Whether a player is completely deserving of a salary or not they are still being well compensated. Once players become employees of their respective universities, I think things will move quickly towards more of an NFL model. TV executives will see that the only way to make more money at some point will be to make games like Vandy vs Bama more palletable. They will push for better rules so that half of the games they pay for aren't snoozers.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
The value of the degree itself cannot be ignored. I think the university of Nebraska technically spends something like ~$350,000 per player over the course of their time at Nebraska and that estimate was from several years ago already. Whether a player is completely deserving of a salary or not they are still being well compensated. Once players become employees of their respective universities, I think things will move quickly towards more of an NFL model. TV executives will see that the only way to make more money at some point will be to make games like Vandy vs Bama more palletable. They will push for better rules so that half of the games they pay for aren't snoozers.
yes, for better or worse the model will be drastically different in the not so distant future. I think we'll see something which is more like a pro minor league model with franchises tied in some way to the universities.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
yes, for better or worse the model will be drastically different in the not so distant future. I think we'll see something which is more like a pro minor league model with franchises tied in some way to the universities.
Agreed. I think that makes the most sense. I'm actually not sure who paid off the NFL to keep their fingers out of college football, but if they really wanted a real minor league system, now would be the best time to try taking the reigns of college football.

betsch

Safety
What? I am proposing no change to transfer rules. That's what we have now - one free transfer whatever year you wish to take it, and we have guaranteed scholarships in P5 (but nowhere else). I am not sure I understand your question?
Ok I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you meant they could leave any time they want as many times as they wanted. If that was the case I'm saying, if I'm a school, that I should be able to cut you loose at any time if that was the case.

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Personally I see no issue with just allowing kids to transfer whenever they want. We’re already seeing it be effective at freeing up scholarships for kids that are willing to endure some adversity.

I think the more kids you have enter the transfer portal for bad reasons, getting lost in the transfer portal - the better it is for college sports.

I’ve never understood the benefit to anyone trying to force kids to stay somewhere. It’s worse for the team and it sucks for kids that would be good enough to deserve a scholarship if it wasn’t for a handful of guys that would leave in a second if they were allowed to by the rules.

Every coach I’ve listened to bitch and moan about it, is rooted in reasons that are their own fault. “You can’t even hold a kid accountable now because he’ll run off and go somewhere else”, Well coach, sounds like your staff didn’t do their recruiting homework and find kids that are capable of taking criticism or you suck at constructively criticizing your players. Level up your recruiting game or coaching game - now you have an edge over programs that don’t.

SantaBarbaraSker

Linebacker
tPB OG
No, under the rule the new school assumes the scholarship obligation in a transfer. Coaches break personal service contracts all the time. The only contract a player signs in the NLI, which requires them to agree to play at the school for ONE YEAR in exchange for the financial aid provided by rule. Not 4 years.

Then change it to four years… school takes a risk if they don’t pan out, but gets assurances they’ll have their services for four years. If they want to transfer…whatever team they’re transferring to, has to buy out their contract…same deal coaches have. Pretty much common sense actually. They want to be an employee, then they need to fulfill their obligations.

SantaBarbaraSker

Linebacker
tPB OG
Lol - yes, they do, because the "professional" sports are all unionized and the unions have collective bargaining agreements with management in which both sides got something in exchange for what they gave up. They give up the mobility to get something in return. Is that what you're advocating for college sports? They could get some money in return for staying 4 years.

I'm telling you, I think coaches really do not want everyone hanging around for three years.

lol so you can’t I have a contract, & play football unless you’re in a union…😂

I sign contracts to produce a product virtually every day, I can choose to renege on that contract any time, but if I do, I don’t get paid…and you couldn’t pay me enough to join a fucking union.

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds