Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

**Nebraska vs. Maryland** (1 Viewer)

jaihawk

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
It was an awesome atmosphere. Right when they needed the crowd to help push them over the top, they cut to Rhule sitting in one of the suites and he jumped up and started going crazy, which got the fans going crazy... That man seems to be at every Husker sporting even there if it's a fake passion for the place, then give the man a freaking Oscar now because he comes across as someone that loves the Nebraska program as much as we do.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Referees inconsistent again.

36-32 good guys
I cringe every time I see a John Higgins crew reffing our game. Just not a fan of him and the way they call games or inconsistently calling games. Kansas fans use to beef when they saw he was the ref. I wish I could find where it was but I read a breakdown of Officials vs the Vegas Spread. There was a stat where games John Higgins reffed that the Away Team covered every game except for a couple that season. I'd hate to be a home team if he is doing the game. Gotta believe he was talked to about that. Same article mentioned how the Chiefs were 19-2 in games reffed by a certain NFL ref. Hoping those were just fluke trends.

I thought they missed many calls today and then got ticky tack on others. Missed the goal tends at the beginning of the game and all I could think was oh shit Higgins gonna screw us again. Hoiberg is normally pretty stoic with the refs but you could see he was agitated today with their calls.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I cringe every time I see a John Higgins crew reffing our game. Just not a fan of him and the way they call games or inconsistently calling games. Kansas fans use to beef when they saw he was the ref. I wish I could find where it was but I read a breakdown of Officials vs the Vegas Spread. There was a stat where games John Higgins reffed that the Away Team covered every game except for a couple that season. I'd hate to be a home team if he is doing the game. Gotta believe he was talked to about that. Same article mentioned how the Chiefs were 19-2 in games reffed by a certain NFL ref. Hoping those were just fluke trends.

I thought they missed many calls today and then got ticky tack on others. Missed the goal tends at the beginning of the game and all I could think was oh shit Higgins gonna screw us again. Hoiberg is normally pretty stoic with the refs but you could see he was agitated today with their calls.
Big ten officiating is basically Calvinball at this point.

Fitzjess21

Cornerback
Elite Member

Don't forget the missed goal tending early in the game. Pretty clear he hur it after touching the glass.

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG

Big ten officiating is basically Calvinball at this point.

Don't forget the missed goal tending early in the game. Pretty clear he hur it after touching the glass.
Watched this game with my wife and even she said that this was the worst officiated game she has ever seen. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to their calls. It was so painful to watch...they had their fingerprints on way too much of this game.

CybrrMonky71

FukUJarvisRedwine
Elite Member
Higgins crew prior to this afternoon had been pretty favorable to Nebraska this yr
Today was weird, Kissinger all the sudden felt like blowing his whistle on everything ticky tack & the rest of the crew ignored the obvious stuff
Officiating was very inconsistent but down the stretch they helped us. Ignored some things in the lane when Maryland was going inside & called the fouls late to get Keisei to the line
Overall we won, so I won’t complain but generally am ok when we have Higgins & Kissinger officiating one of our games

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Higgins crew prior to this afternoon had been pretty favorable to Nebraska this yr
Today was weird, Kissinger all the sudden felt like blowing his whistle on everything ticky tack & the rest of the crew ignored the obvious stuff
Officiating was very inconsistent but down the stretch they helped us. Ignored some things in the lane when Maryland was going inside & called the fouls late to get Keisei to the line
Overall we won, so I won’t complain but generally am ok when we have Higgins & Kissinger officiating one of our games
The first 5 minutes of the second half were atrocious. 10 fouls I think before the first TV timeout. Those early fouls really allowed Maryland to get back in the game since it made Griesel ride the pine for awhile and made D Walk sit, too.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Officiating was very inconsistent but down the stretch they helped us.
I only saw the last 10 min of 2nd half + OT... I thought the refs displayed an INCREDIBLE amount of deference to Derrick Walker. An unbelievable amount. DW was on 3 fouls forever and it looked like he was daring them to call his 4th and they never did.

I'd say that alone might have won us the game. If DW got pulled at say the 8:00 left mark it would have been game over. He was our only guy who could do anything on offense at that point. Our guards couldn't even protect the ball without turning it over at that point, that's how bad it was getting.

So I'm not sure why people are bitching about the refs. They gave our star player the Jordan Rules for the last 25% of the game and we should be pretty stoked about that bc our sad sack hoops program is not really in position to get those benefits of the doubt.

The only thing I can really chalk it up to is DW is super polite and the B1G refs now know him very well so they give him calls. Kind of the anti Pelini.

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I only saw the last 10 min of 2nd half + OT... I thought the refs displayed an INCREDIBLE amount of deference to Derrick Walker. An unbelievable amount. DW was on 3 fouls forever and it looked like he was daring them to call his 4th and they never did.

I'd say that alone might have won us the game. If DW got pulled at say the 8:00 left mark it would have been game over. He was our only guy who could do anything on offense at that point. Our guards couldn't even protect the ball without turning it over at that point, that's how bad it was getting.

So I'm not sure why people are bitching about the refs. They gave our star player the Jordan Rules for the last 25% of the game and we should be pretty stoked about that bc our sad sack hoops program is not really in position to get those benefits of the doubt.

The only thing I can really chalk it up to is DW is super polite and the B1G refs now know him very well so they give him calls. Kind of the anti Pelini.
weird take tbh considering the 3rd foul they called on D Walk wasn't him who committed it (should have been on Wilcher)

are you saying Walker was being aggressive on defense? i thought when Griesel came back in that he was easily playing with more fire than Walker

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Walker jumped on top of a dudes back and got a no call....i'd say they absolutely held the whistle on him there
Just another John Higgins Crew reffed game. Players hammered and no call then a BS call. So inconsistent. Fred Hoiberg was far from happy with how they called the game and he rarely complains. Both Maryland & Nebraska fans complaining, and they both have valid complaints.

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG

I agree that Walker benefitted from calls (or lack of calls) down the stretch. But that only goes further to prove my point - that was one of the most inconsistently called games I've seen all year. Walker's 3rd foul was completely bullshit, and Griesel had some highly questionable ones called against him too. Their terrible and inconsistent calls forced both Walker and Griesel to the bench and that let Maryland comeback and take the lead. After that, it felt like they realized how bad they effed up and swung completely the other way and both guys benefitted from a few calls.

It's incredible to me that the Big Ten consistently has the worst officiating in the country, year in and year out. And it costs them in the tournament every year too - Big Ten teams don't know how to play proper defense this time of the year because thy have been conditioned by shitty officiating.

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Can anyone seriously explain this? Wazzu, NEB, OU, Florida, and UNC in order, and apparently Ohio State is higher than these 4.

I would love to know how the NET works.

looks to be a Pickle Smoochers contributor, so take it with a grain of salt. but this still doesn't make any sense... Ohio State has been getting drilled (lost again by almost 30)

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds